First time considering a dash cam

RAIDERS F150

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not finding a product that matches what I "think" I want.

I want the camera to be really discrete. A small black box that sticks to the front of the rear-view mirror with smartphone wireless connectivity for setup. No screen needed, as set-up and configuration are controlled externally through an app.

I would not not expect to be pulling video off very often. Just in case of an "event". It could be done as a smartphone download or a SD card removal, I'm open to either.

Everything that I see on this forum attaches to the windshield or hangs from the rear-view mirror. This seems to be so that the integrated video screen can be seen. I don't want any visible distractions to me when I'm driving.

There is an enormous amount of info on this sight, an I just cannot seem to find info that points me in the right direction.

Please provide me with suggestions

Thanks

Starting with a cheap option:
https://dashcamtalk.com/blueskysea-b1w/

Most people would stick that to the windshield, but it would also stick to the mirror, although then if you move or dip the mirror you would alter the view!

Is that what you're after, or are there more requirements?

Attaching to the mirror will require using a cam that allows lateral lens aiming, which few cams can do. I'm with Nigel on the B1W; very discreet on the windshield and the smoothed form-factor makes it look more 'factory' than 'aftermarket' so almost nobody will give it a second glance if they notice it at all.

Phil

Everything that I see on this forum attaches to the windshield or hangs from the rear-view mirror. This seems to be so that the integrated video screen can be seen. I don't want any visible distractions to me when I'm driving.

The rearview mirror hides the camera from the driver's view. I have duck to see the LEDs.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/my-mobius-maxi.34738/post-411595

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/post-311534

Thanks for the input.

My thoughts for attaching it to the rear-view mirror was so it was not in my view while driving. Putting this on the windshield in a location obscured by the rear-view mirror would accomplish the same thing.

It is not so much about how it looks on the outside.

New to this, it is good to get insight from experience. I had not considered having to re-position the camera after I let someone borrow my vehicle and they move it around.

I was not looking for the cheapest solution, but also not planning on going crazy either. Any other recommendations? The B1w is certainly a consideration

You can spend more for a better cam, and most cams with screens have options where the display turns off after a given time, so you have lots of choices really. What is your budget for a cam?

Phil

Thanks for your help

My idea of sticking the camera to the back of the rear-view was flawed.

I looked at more posts about mounting. A bunch of good pictures.

I ordered the A119 V2 from the VIOFO site. $90 for the unit, GPS mount, hardwire kit and 32GB SD card. Everything I need to get started. Black Friday special.

My wedge shaped cameras mounted on the dotted area in front of my mirror, those are more visible over the mirror.
But i am also a tall guy in a little car, and the dotted area don't go that much down on the windscreen, so the 3 cameras there are mostly visible to me over the mirror.
If you are able to mount on a dotted area and just have the bottom part of the camera with the lens peek out below the dots, thats the optimal stealth.
img_20180414_143857-jpg.37475

@RAIDERS F150 I think you've made a good choice of cam and will find it easy to install and use. If you didn't get a 'package deal' with an SD card, you'll need one of those. Pay very close attention to the mounting instructions regarding attaching the mount; the winshield must be extremely clean where the adhesive pad goes and it's best to adhere the mount and wait 24 hours before adding the weight of the cam to it.

Happy Dashcamming!
Phil

Back