First time dashcam buyer - which premium cams best meet these criteria?

Resapex

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've done some reading and I wanted user feedback.

I need help with some dashcam options that use a quality grade processor and have superior image quality, is discreet, and uses a capacitor (I read this is preferred over battery).

Some optional features I am considering are parking mode and dual camera setup. I like the idea of both, and I'd like some some user insight on how important having either of these since I know that it may come down to choosing between cameras that don't have one or both of these.

I also want help on determining whether to utilize cloud storage or microSD. Is there a cost with cloud inherently, or is cost based on usage? MicroSD is probably the cheaper way, however I am trying to determine what determines which way I should go with this decision.

Lastly, is having a camera with parking mode the only meaningful reason to consider hardwiring it?

Thanks in advance.

they all have onboard memory, you couldn't reliably upload video all the time, there is way too much data involved for that to be feasible, any with cloud functionality are only adding that as an extra function, results are hit and miss for some

hardwiring a camera is more reliable that a a cig plug which is easily removed and it's neater, it's not a necessity

maybe best if you short list some models you like and ask for feedback on those, people have opinions on everything but which best suits your needs is ultimately something you should decide, there are positives and negatives to every model, there is no one size fits all perfect product

Battery-equipped cams can be OK if you don't experience really hot summer days where you are like we get in the southern US or really cold sub-freezing temperatures in the winter. Super-caps do tend to last longer and are necessary for some of us.

I recommend having rear cam coverage either in a 2 channel model or with a separate cam. It can show the behavior of the far-too-many speeding idiots who might side-swipe you in their hurry to get past. It can also show habitual tailgating in someone hitting you from behind- the most common crash scenario. This can add greatly to getting a fast and fair settlement. It also doubles your cam coverage when parked.

Phil

I would keep away from cloud features, even with a regular dashcam of the sensible design ( often wedge style camera ) people hardly notice them, and if they do it often come of as a factory sensor.
So if you think cloud cuz then no one can get at your footage, than its not really needed, and besides a host in the cloud are just a additional cost, or you can out up a NAS / server at home, if you like me have a good internet connection at home ( gigabit here ) and even then your footage are just at risk at home.

Additionally you will soon see cameras where the 1 or 2 cameras are on a wire detached from the main unit itself, and so even smaller camera units, and a main unit you can bury really deep in your car, just dont go too deep, cuz you have to get at the memory card now and then to look it over to see if it is functioning well and do a occasional in camera format of the memory card.

Cloud might be fine for events solely, if your camera can be set up good to not create too many of those while driving, but offloading everything all the time, that you cant even do here in little old & flat Denmark with very good cellphone infrastructure,,,,, even here you will find yourself in a 1-2 G area if you venture away form the populated areas, and then the camera will have to buffer on internal memory and the UL when you get good connection again, and then it might not even work cuz you dont have the time to UL it all before you arrive and turn off your car.

So best to stay with memory cards, and live with the 5 minutes on the computer now and then to look over the memory card to assure everything are in order ( memory card are the weak link in a good dashcam, no matter how fine and expensive memory card and camera you get )

Additionally you will soon see cameras where the 1 or 2 cameras are on a wire detached from the main unit itself, and so even smaller camera units, and a main unit you can bury really deep in your car, just dont go too deep, cuz you have to get at the memory card now and then to look it over to see if it is functioning well and do a occasional in camera format of the memory card.
How soon is soon, in your opinion?

Street Guardian expect to have their model ready in the beginning of next year ( Jan _ Feb ), the others i assume are also working on such a camera have been more quiet.
I will be optimistic and guesstimate that by summer 2019 you will have several models to choose in between,

It's not hard to find cameras that have both 2CH (dual cam) and has parking mode, but the price point will be your biggest deciding factor.

Focus on storage with the microSD, a lot of dash cams will have mobile apps that allow you to transfer files from the SD card into your phone.
Dashcam Cloud services aren't on par with modern cloud services and will often have a subscription behind it (or at least for full access).

Hardwiring is necessary for parking mode, for the most part. If you weren't wanting to use Parking mode, hardwiring would simply be for a cleaner install.

Feel free to let us know if you're looking at any models in particular!

Back