first time owner of a next base camera, some "issues" and concerns!

Warren Chrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
first off, hello all!

i bought a, after using it a couple of days here are some concerns i'm wondering about:

the left side of the video (perhaps left 15-20%) is a little blurry, a car will drive past with the plate unreadable on that side but crystal clear in the center and the right side. the lens is clean and the screen is clean too, no muck or anything. i haven't tried turning the lens as i dont know what that does yet, perhaps focus or exposure? I have followed manufacturers instructions and set the polarising filter accordingly

also, parking guard (when there is a whack or impact) it saved the clip. this is great, but i only want it to do it when the car is parked, not when im in it. im driving around and it's saving clips every time i close the car doors, not much of an issue but i would much rather it saved all these clips when the car is parked up and turned off, as ive just got 20 PROTECTED clips of me opening and closing the doors, dont want to reduce sensitivity as closing the car door is the hardest impact my car will take, so if i reduce it so much it would never detect a bump in a car park or something

EDIT: I've noticed this in the online manual:
7ed1ed7358425b15b9fa10313b354720.png

It states "this does not affect parking mode sensitivity" so if i turn gsensor off am i right in thinking i can turn it off and it wont work when driving and igition on, but will work when the car is off and parked? (i.e. parking mode)

i also dont want HI and LOW clips, just the HI ones realised i can turn off DUAL FILES setting

Last edited:
Get an image of the blur ready as Nextbase will request it.

The parking mode sensor isn't user changeable, closing doors will often trigger it, but, wait for official confirmation. Perhaps consider getting a larger SDcard to cater for the extra footage.

Get an image of the blur ready as Nextbase will request it.
The parking mode sensor isn't user changeable, closing doors will often trigger it, but, wait for official confirmation. Perhaps consider getting a larger SDcard to cater for the extra footage.

here is a sample image i can get more if necesary. the left side is closer but way more blurred than the right side which is about 20m away but crystal clear

9cc4de3d748bfc5be6294e7242ae1b03.jpg

this is on 1440p too, i'm not too pleased with the quality as it really doesn't seem much better than the 1080p on my £45 MINI0801

first off, hello all!

i bought a, after using it a couple of days here are some concerns i'm wondering about:

the left side of the video (perhaps left 15-20%) is a little blurry, a car will drive past with the plate unreadable on that side but crystal clear in the center and the right side. the lens is clean and the screen is clean too, no muck or anything. i haven't tried turning the lens as i dont know what that does yet, perhaps focus or exposure? I have followed manufacturers instructions and set the polarising filter accordingly

also, parking guard (when there is a whack or impact) it saved the clip. this is great, but i only want it to do it when the car is parked, not when im in it. im driving around and it's saving clips every time i close the car doors, not much of an issue but i would much rather it saved all these clips when the car is parked up and turned off, as ive just got 20 PROTECTED clips of me opening and closing the doors, dont want to reduce sensitivity as closing the car door is the hardest impact my car will take, so if i reduce it so much it would never detect a bump in a car park or something

EDIT: I've noticed this in the online manual:
7ed1ed7358425b15b9fa10313b354720.png

It states "this does not affect parking mode sensitivity" so if i turn gsensor off am i right in thinking i can turn it off and it wont work when driving and igition on, but will work when the car is off and parked? (i.e. parking mode)

i also dont want HI and LOW clips, just the HI ones realised i can turn off DUAL FILES setting

here is a sample of the blurry left side
e1b0443d2b81e9fb72d91fe43eda6780.jpg

here are 2 more screenshots that are STATIONARY

e46d21584d2b143037b6e91d3d70526f.jpg
d222b3d4fd4924aeb1e98ad398f062cb.jpg

As well as the phantom parking clips, that deffo looks quite badly out of focus at the centre-to-left hand side to me.

As well as the phantom parking clips, that deffo looks quite badly out of focus at the centre-to-left hand side to me.

agree, if the window and lens are clean and it still looks like that take it back and get it replaced

agree, if the window and lens are clean and it still looks like that take it back and get it replaced

oh so you think that this is a manufacturers issue and not just something that needs fine tuning?

there's no fine tuning, as I said as long as everything is clean (a finger print on the lens can look like that) and it still looks like that then it's a hardware issue, just get it replaced

You can test the cam if you don't film through the windscreen - just try to record with the cam outside of the car. This will rule out anything in the glass of the windscreen. Video something through the side window and check clarity on that. If the dashcam lens is faulty, the blurriness will still be there. If it is all in focus then the windscreen is causing the softness.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T 512GW 0
S 512GW 7
Drew1951 512GW 7
C 512GW 5
B 512GW 30
Back