First week with SG9665GC V3 - some questions

nephilim

Reaction score
Country
Germany
After a few rides with the new (and my first ever) cam I am sure I bought the right product (feature wise and the support over here). However, there are a few small glitches which I would like to get out of the way:

1) I am a Mac user and run the datakam player provided on the SG website. I noticed that a recording over several hours was not grouped in a single item - there are gaps in the recording. I ran registrator viewer in Parallels/Win7 which does a better job at grouping the individual files - and which also marks the missing pieces via gray bars. It seems the cam does not record 5min intervals reliably. Some gaps are just a few seconds long. Sometimes more than a minute is missing. Here is a link to a screenshot of the file list in datakam player: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7bc0mp8aaqt5ql/SG_20170317.jpg?dl=0
I looked again at the recording of the sensor calibration. Here I have a perfect row of 5:01 files for more than 2.5h. Two differences compared to the car: GPS and power supply. In the car I use either https://www.amazon.de/gp/B00M3PI1M4 or https://www.amazon.de/gp/B01KWYB1JM, followed by a 3m USB cable (next week it will be 5m as 3m is not long enough) to the cam. The power supplies have 2.4A per port, so I guess current should be no problem, right? Could the length of the USB cable lead to a significant voltage drop? Would that lead to the issues I encounter here? I would not blame the card as the calibration was recorded flawlessly.

2) The max speed displayed in both applications is 184km/h - that's fast but not fast enough for our autobahn :) Is that a bug or a feature?

3) Rather a comment than a question: I first thought I should use the thick (wedge) bracket but using that together with the cable cover makes it almost impossible to plug in the GPS and power cords. So I went back to the thin bracket. It just fits to my windscreen angle.

Cheers,
Torsten

Try using original supplied cigarette lighter charger and see if “grey gaps“ issue will be solved.

I noticed that a recording over several hours was not grouped in a single item - there are gaps in the recording. I ran registrator viewer in Parallels/Win7 which does a better job at grouping the individual files - and which also marks the missing pieces via gray bars. It seems the cam does not record 5min intervals reliably. Some gaps are just a few seconds long. Sometimes more than a minute is missing. Here is a link to a screenshot of the file list in datakam player: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7bc0mp8aaqt5ql/SG_20170317.jpg?dl=0

do you have motion detection turned on or off?

Thanks everybody! I will check all of the above tomorrow. I also ordered a better quality 5m USB cord (according to other users with very low resistance) and an alternative power supply. Should go to bed now but dashcamviewer has not finished processing my files yet!

Won't move the car today but I checked the recordings I have again. The dropouts appear as soon as I connect the cam to the dual port USB power supply from the first amazon link. All previous recordings are complete (5:01). I checked the reviews again and it seems that this particular supply has a badly designed circuit, which also emits high-frequency signals which even interferes with car radio (especially DAB). So it goes back to the seller. Problem solved :)

I am still confused by the displayed speed. I set the cam such that the speed is shown in the video file. I assume the value is calculated by the cam/firmware itself. Even though I went faster the highest value I see is 115mph. Does that mean it is a limit set in the firmware?

When I load the files into dashcamviewer that tool seems to calculate speed itself (based in the GPS data?), leading to slightly different values than shown in the video overlay. However, the dashcamviewer calculated speed also never goes beyond 115mph! Looking into the trip summary in Sygic (the navigation software which is running on the phone) I see that max speed is higher than 115mph. So if How is that possible?

Won't move the car today but I checked the recordings I have again. The dropouts appear as soon as I connect the cam to the dual port USB power supply from the first amazon link. All previous recordings are complete (5:01). I checked the reviews again and it seems that this particular supply has a badly designed circuit, which also emits high-frequency signals which even interferes with car radio (especially DAB). So it goes back to the seller. Problem solved :)

I am still confused by the displayed speed. I set the cam such that the speed is shown in the video file. I assume the value is calculated by the cam/firmware itself. Even though I went faster the highest value I see is 115mph. Does that mean it is a limit set in the firmware?

When I load the files into dashcamviewer that tool seems to calculate speed itself (based in the GPS data?), leading to slightly different values than shown in the video overlay. However, the dashcamviewer calculated speed also never goes beyond 115mph! Looking into the trip summary in Sygic (the navigation software which is running on the phone) I see that max speed is higher than 115mph. So if How is that possible?

Please try to go to KMH and see if it makes any difference.

I am running in kmh and the maximum is 184 in the overlay and 185 in dashcamviewer.

I am running in kmh and the maximum is 184 in the overlay and 185 in dashcamviewer.

I will get our engineer to check it, it might be a hard limit or could just be a firmware adjustment that is needed, I would say you are our first customer to drive that fast as it has never been noted as an issue previously

:)

I know that for most part of the world that is an unusual speed but in Germany we still have no speed limit :) So if the motorway is empty 140 mph is no big deal (despite the fuel consumption).

:)

I know that for most part of the world that is an unusual speed but in Germany we still have no speed limit :) So if the motorway is empty 140 mph is no big deal (despite the fuel consumption).

yes I understand the need, will check on it today for you

...I would say you are our first customer to drive that fast as it has never been noted as an issue previously
I drove that fast some years ago (before I was a customer). If I remember correctly I ended up with brown stains on some of my clothing. :eek:

I drove that fast some years ago (before I was a customer). If I remember correctly I ended up with brown stains on some of my clothing. :eek:
should put your windows up when driving through muddy terrain.

Sorry to be a pain but is there any update on this topic?

our engineer is looking into it already, no news yet though, will let you know when we do, our speed limits here don't allow for us to be able to test this ourselves so will need some help to check it

Back