'Fit and forget' hard-wired discrete dash cam?

argonglobe

Reaction score
Hi,
I am very interested in dash cams and I'm looking for a cam that i can fit to my car behind the rear view mirror permanently whilst minimising the probability that someone will attempt to steal it. The 'Smallest HD 720p DVR' is attractive because of its size, discrete looks and small fixing device. However its quality, reliability etc leave much to be desired.
I am therefore looking for something similar but without these drawbacks. It would be ok if the main unit of the system was fixed under the dash or in the glove box and just a small camera was fixed in the windscreen, i have the skills to fit a complicated system so this may be more appropriate to my needs.
Something along the lines of the rear cameras that i have seen attached to dual dash cams but with the system out of sight rather than on display in the windscreen. My ideal system would have a control box that i can attach under the dash with two very small hd cameras that i can hard-wire to the front and rear of my car. I am a student so cost is an issue, looking to spend between 100 and 250 dollars depending on what could be bought for that kind of money.
Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Guy

Hi Guy,

Unfortunately the majority of the cameras that have a separate lens have poor picture quality. Here is one example.

The HD-609 on Aliexpress costs $155.
upload.ecvv.com_upload_Product_20124_China_HD609_Detached_Fullbae4bf0426aa033d4246493a9ca7cfc9.jpg

Here is a sample video.

There are others such as the Qstar A7 which has bad reviews due to blurry picture quality, and the DOD F700HD which is actually pretty big and poor picture quality. None of these separate lens cameras are popular at the moment due to the poor picture quality.

The closest thing that you are looking for would be the Itronics ITB-100HD. It is about 3 cm longer than the Smallest HD 720p DVR but it has better video quality and reliability. It is a "set it and forget it" camera, just a bit bigger than the Smallest HD 720p DVR.

Dash Cam Man

Last edited by a moderator:
Back