fit zoom lens ?

Gliderlure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, bought xaomi sports cam for fishing and very happy with it, occasionally I would like to use static on a tripod. I know it's not designed for using any sort of zoom lens ,and their isn't one made for it, but I wondered if it would be possible to use something like a clip-on camera phone lens ? Realistically I don't need adjustable zoom function, even a fixed 2,3 or 4× magnification would be spot on for my need. Any ideas appreciated, thanks....

Last edited:
Probably. You can change the lens and there's probably some zoom m12 lenses out there that could be made to fit if you were so motivated.

Thanks for replying yizee, I really only need it for one specific purpose - filming a few short clips of fishing lures from above water surface at 20 metres or so out. Even if I could get fixed 2 or 4 × magnification with something cobbled together for a few hours, That would suffice. Thanks anyway. ...

replacement 4.35mm m12 lens will provide about a 1.5x zoom over stock. it doesn't really bring you any closer to the subject, it just removes the wide angle / fisheye aspect.

replacement 8mm m12 lens will provide approx 3x zoom. it brings you closer to the subject.

Both lenses are readily available from China on ebay. make sure you get a lens with an "IR cut" or "IR block" filter or it will not be usable.

Keep in mind that the more you zoom in, the more unstable your footage becomes. I don't recommend the 8mm without a tripod or gimbal, it's just too shaky.

it's not like switching lenses on a DSLR, this is a modification that you make for the long term -- it's reversible but you have to manually focus the lens each time. I have one camera with the 4.35mm lens and one with the stock lens, so I can switch easily between wide angle and regular.

Thanks hewho, I will look into that, the camera will be on tripod . As I only wanted a few short clips with more magnification, I was kinda hoping there was a lens I could somehow cobble onto existing lens. If thats not feasible I will explore your recommendation, even if it means fixing on lens for one day and trying to get clips done. Thanks again, appreciated. ...

Back