Fitting two dashcams to Fiat 500 limited space fuse panel

skaterm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fit two dashcams (front & rear) to my wife's Fiat 500 using the piggyback fuse taps connected into the internal fuse board. Unfortunately despite there being a couple of switched fuses available (yes we want it switched not constant) there is so little space that only one piggy back fuse adaptor fits the right way round.

Does anyone have any suggestions, can I get a piggy back fuse holder with the cable coming out the other side? Or without the 90 degree design?

Can I plug two hardwire kits into a single piggyback fuse without putting to much load on the existing wiring. I'm plugged into an existing 5 fuse.

Running cable from the lighter socket (not hardwired) isn't an option (sadly) as that would have made life easier and I don't have the confidence to solder wires to the existing lighter socket.

Do I need to feed a cable to the engine compartment fuse box? If so how? And is this still safe?

You can connect both dashcams “+” to one 5A switched fuse, no worries here. Just in case make sure its not an Airbag, alarm/immo, or ABS brake fuse. Other switched fuse should be fine.

i have 2 cameras fitted in my 500. I did tap separate fuse slots but you do not need to as niko stated.

I actually did splice into the accessory power (lighter) for my aftermarket seat heaters. I'm comfortable soldering in tight spots but you can also use scotch lock connectors and a pair of pliers.

You can connect both dashcams “+” to one 5A switched fuse, no worries here. Just in case make sure its not an Airbag, alarm/immo, or ABS brake fuse. Other switched fuse should be fine.

I have two Nextbase dashcam hardwire kits so do I just connect the two red wires from these to a single piggyback fuse adaptor? The fuse adaptor has a 2amp fuse for the dashcam and 5amp for the original F49 fuse (Parking sensor, backlighting switches, electric mirrors). Do i need to change the 2amp fure?

i have 2 cameras fitted in my 500. I did tap separate fuse slots but you do not need to as niko stated.

I actually did splice into the accessory power (lighter) for my aftermarket seat heaters. I'm comfortable soldering in tight spots but you can also use scotch lock connectors and a pair of pliers.

Thanks do you recall which fuses you used?

Thanks do you recall which fuses you used?

not from memory. i can take a look either at lunch or when i get home.

my install is a bit different since i tapped an ALWAYS ON fuse as well as an ACCESSORY fuse since I'm running a battery discharge prevention device for parking mode.

I have two Nextbase dashcam hardwire kits so do I just connect the two red wires from these to a single piggyback fuse adaptor? The fuse adaptor has a 2amp fuse for the dashcam and 5amp for the original F49 fuse (Parking sensor, backlighting switches, electric mirrors). Do i need to change the 2amp fure?
Dashcam fuse is there to protect car from dashcam not vise versa. For 2 dashcams I would use min. 3A or 5A fuse.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

I've only ever used 2 amp blade fuses for 2 cam set ups, blade fuses are rated at continuous power not blow rating, I have never had any 2 amp fuse blow either. If you are not competent/confident at soldering you can use solder tape, simply wrap around part to be soldered apply match or lighter until melted take away heat job done, apply sealant to joint, EDSYN is a especially good solder tape.

I use flux paste Mechanic XG-50

1Bottle New Mechanic Soldering Solder Welding Paste Flux XG-50 SMD SMT Sn63/Pb37 Tools High Quality

http://s.aliexpress.com/RfQn2IBZ

I've never used that one, I generally use what ever I can borrow on permanent loan from the usaf/e!!

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping to be able to just use two tap in fuse adaptors but it seems that the best solution here would be to connect the two red wires from the two 12v to 5v USB converters into a single tap-in fuse connector and then replace the tap-in's current 2amp fuse with a 5amp. Is that correct? Is that going to be safe for the car and the dashcam?

I'm connecting to the fuse for the electric windows & parking sensor F49 in a UK Fiat 500. Original fuse in F49 was a 5 amp also. So I'd have two 5 amp fuses in the tap-in adaptor, right?

Thanks for help, I'm always more nervous working on my wife's car than on my own!

You're safe connecting to the windows/parking sensors. if I recall correctly, there's a little "feature" that allows power to the window motors until you open one of the doors. not that it's super helpful having power to your camera while you're inside a stopped vehicle but it's worth a note.

and for my two cameras on the same fuse tap, I have a 5 amp fuse.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Now got both cameras fitted and working successfully off the same fuse tap with a 5amp fuse for the camera circuit off of fuse F49.

Your help was very much appreciated, thanks for taking the time to provide your advice.

Back