Fixed my DAB problems with the rear cam

markc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, E-Prance 0805
Ever since I fitted the A129 in my Golf, the rear camera mounted at the top of the rear screen severely restricted the DAB reception, it would only lock on to the very strongest signals.

I opened up the rear camera (just four screws), one side of the case (the one the circuit is attached to) that the has been sprayed with a conductive layer, but the other is just the plain plastic.

So, I pulled a piece of protective plastic off the outside of the USB socket (it serves no function, its just a protective film), then cut a piece of paper to fit over the circuit board with a cut-out around the USB socket.
Next cut a piece of kitchen foil to fit right over the circuit board, this touches the outside of the USB socket for an earth connection.
Put the case back together, and that presses the foil against the USB socket.

Put in back in the car, and immediately the DAB reception worked a treat.

Its a cheap and easy fix. I should have taken some photos - sorry I didn't.

Sounds like you've created grounded shielding- excellent that it works! Many thinks for sharing this since this is a common problem for many rear-cam users.

Also tagging @viofo who may wish to implement similar shielding into new production since that would make a good marketing point too.

Phil

Back