Fixing external rear view camera

Tug60

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am new to the forum and have been researching ways of fixing a rear facing camera to a long term hire panel van.
I have come up with an idea just need some experienced heads to check it out and point out any flaws. As I cannot compromise the bodywork I thought about mounting the external camera on a powerful '' fishing magnet '' stuck to the roof above the rear doors. Would a magnet interfere with the camera/wiring in any way?

Would a magnet interfere with the camera/wiring in any way?
No problem, I've used magnets in the past.

You will want quite a large and strong magnet, otherwise it may get easily moved or rotated, putting a bit of grippy material between the surfaces helps a lot but it must be very thin otherwise it will reduce the magnetic bond. If you have access to the metal on the inside then adding another magnet there will help considerably.

Also make sure it is a waterproof camera if it is to be use outside, most dashcam rear cameras are not.

Neodymium magnets are ideal as they are quite strong.

I have used a neodymium magnet for holding dashcams for years, with no problem.

Once stuck, neodymnium magnets are awfully tough to shift around unintentionally and I'd recommend them over anything larger. Based on the body shape where you want to mount the cam you might want to use two as the pair will be less prone to lateral twisting than a single magnet, but a single larger one should do OK. If you don't have experience with these magnets you're in for a surprise at how powerful they are so don't buy large ones thinking that's necessary because it isn't.

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K DIY Projects 3
Back