Flash drive issue

brucecy92

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My laptop has a USB2 port and a USB3 port
All my external hard drives work fine in both ports,
My Kingston USB2 32gb flash drive works in both ports, (but obviously won't transfer at the usb3 rate in the usb3 port as its a usb2 drive)
however, my Kingston USB3 64gb flash drive no longer works in my USB3 port but does still work in the USB2 port! (can format to exFAT or NTFS)

Both flash drives are genuine, bought from a genuine retailer a few years ago (MyMemory I think, Ironically I can't actually remember!), the 64gb is slightly newer and both drives have had an easy life, being used now and again to shift media about. The laptop does it's jingle when the USB3 drive is put in the USB3 port so it knows it's there, yet it just doesn't show up in explorer and therefore not accessible

Any ideas?

Have you checked in 'Disk Management'?

Check in disk management, I’ve seen something similar where it for some reason allocates the drive an existing drive letter so effectively the flash drive doesn’t appear.

In disk management check to see if the flash drive is detected and what drive letter it has been allocated. As a test change the drive letter to see if it then becomes available.

Back