Flash for cash scam

Why 4ch? A wide angle HD cam can catch the flashing lights.

Xybone said:
Why 4ch? A wide angle HD cam can catch the flashing lights.

I've had wide angle and don't like the lack of clarity for number plates etc.
My current cams (F70 and DR32) just about cover the windscreen but if the driver is a little further away from the junction, they wouldn't be seen on cam.

Just mentioned on another thread (360deg camera), my ideal would be to have 4 remote lenses with a central DVR, at least two lenses to be panel mounted so they could be mounted maybe in the wings.
My existing front cams cover the screen from pillar to pillar, as does the rear lens on my F70.

BBC said:
The Highway Code says: "Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users. Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully."

This is one of the reasons i do not tend let people go. I have seen way many more times then i can count where there is a four lane road and the car in the fast lane lets the car in the on coming fast lane looking to turn and cross go. Drivers in the slow lane may not see the car turn and an accident results.

This "Flash for Cash" also happens here, and people have died because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trouble is, it has been accepted as the norm, for as long as I can remember (so about half an hour then?), for a flash of lights to mean "ok, I'm letting you cross/come out".

I think dashcams should be compulsory on all cars. Insurance could save a fortune on payouts, scammers would very quickly get found out, all drivers would benefit from lower premiums as well as less time sat in tailbacks due to roads blocked by accidents, emergency servcies would be freed up for genuine cases.

No dashcam = insurance void & therefore possibly considered 'at fault'.

However, it would seem to me that laws are not passed because the crokks are making a mint out of this.
And by crooks, I mean
> the scammers driving the cars
> Insurance companies - they NEVER lose, payout millions, just up our premiums so they still get their huge profits
> legal bods (solicitors, lawyers etc - who love to drag out cases & make millions)
> medical? I'm just wondering how many doctors out there are taking backhanders to make up injuries?

sludgeguts said:
Trouble is, it has been accepted as the norm, for as long as I can remember (so about half an hour then?), for a flash of lights to mean "ok, I'm letting you cross/come out"

It's been that way here forever just seems to be understood that when someone flashes you it is to let you go. There is also flashing at an oncoming car without lights at night to alert them their lights are off. With lead to This Urban Legend and the story behind it, and lastly i have seen when people who drive the same make and model of nice car cross they flash each other as a sort of wave hi or thumbs up type gesture.

sludgeguts said:
I think dashcams should be compulsory on all cars.
As i have mention in another thread between Drivers worried about privacy, possibly being inconvenienced, not aware of quality, and not familiar with brand as well as bad drivers would fight this it more then likely will not happen. I'm somewhere between No Dashcam=No Insurance and Everyone should have one only because next to No Dashcam=No Insurance i have a feeling that Insurance companies would force specific models and i like having choice. I lean a little more to having one would offer cheaper insurance.

Progressive does something like this with their Snapshot device that plugs into your cars OBDII port and records your driving habits . Drive during the day? Drive slow? Drive less often? get a slightly better (5-10 dollars off i have been reading.) Drive at night? Drive fast? Drive often? Your current rate might go up.

sludgeguts said:
Trouble is, it has been accepted as the norm, for as long as I can remember (so about half an hour then?), for a flash of lights to mean "ok, I'm letting you cross/come out".

I think dashcams should be compulsory on all cars. Insurance could save a fortune on payouts, scammers would very quickly get found out, all drivers would benefit from lower premiums as well as less time sat in tailbacks due to roads blocked by accidents, emergency servcies would be freed up for genuine cases.

No dashcam = insurance void & therefore possibly considered 'at fault'.

However, it would seem to me that laws are not passed because the crokks are making a mint out of this.
And by crooks, I mean
> the scammers driving the cars
> Insurance companies - they NEVER lose, payout millions, just up our premiums so they still get their huge profits
> legal bods (solicitors, lawyers etc - who love to drag out cases & make millions)
> medical? I'm just wondering how many doctors out there are taking backhanders to make up injuries?

Actually I work in insurance and can tell you that insuranxe companies tend to pay out more in claims than they take in premiums. Many uk insurance companies a running at huge loss at the moment.

They make profit by investing and were taking referal payments to boost profit so that has stopped now and insurance companies have to invest wisely in a damaged market.

On average it takes 7 years to make a profit from a customer.

I agree that tbey should be compulsary. Sfter 10 years in the industry I cant believe I havent found a company to offer a discount. And ive looked. Only a few weeks ago my footage took a dangerous driver to court. I am yet to be involved in an accident let alone witness one o camera but if/when the time comes ill be ready!

Back