Flat battery warning

It makes sense as the dash is now almost entirely electronic and has to go through an initialization / test cycle on power up and if there is not enough power mid cycle, it can repeat until all power is drained if left on. This is the modern day equivalent of the clicking starter solenoid. There is just enough power to turn on the solenoid, but once the starter is connected, voltage falls and the solenoid disengages, repeat until battery is dead.

KuoH

I've seen single displays go nuts when input voltage was low, but never the whole dash :eek:

This is the modern day equivalent of the clicking starter solenoid. There is just enough power to turn on the solenoid, but once the starter is connected, voltage falls and the solenoid disengages, repeat until battery is dead.

KuoH
It was doing that too...

I had a charging problem in my 94 Buick that was causing the car to shut down sometimes which I repeatedly misdiagnosed because the voltmeter in the dash showed what appeared to be normal operation. I'd already replaced the battery as it was old, and several parts in the injection and engine management system before I finally discovered that the voltmeter was just displaying what the computer told it to; it was not directly measuring voltage as I thought it did. Being an analog gauge it was the exact same type a real voltmeter would have been so I could never understand why anyone would do it that way but they did. I learned that when the alternator failed completely and they guy at a rebuilder's shop told me about it. Even with the rebuilt unit I was still having problems but at least now I was monitoring things with a real voltmeter I'd hooked up. It finally turned out that one of the computer grounds located under a door sill had corroded slightly and that was not only giving a wrong gauge reading but preventing the computer-controlled alternator from administering a proper charge. Once I fixed that I never had any more charging problems with that car.

The more I know about the cars of today the less I like them. Most of the technology in them is about 'dazzle', not best functioning, and in extracting the utmost in fuel efficiency without regard to cost, reliability, repairability, or longevity. Even women aren't this bad...

Phil

Back