Flickering issues with lcd - power related?

speedingcheetah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119 Mini2 (Front & Rear) [A119v1/Mini 0826 old cams]
I have noticed some excessive flickering with the built in LCD when it is plugged into my vehicle. It doesn't do it when I connect the cam up inside home. (Flicker option in the settings has no effect). The recorded videos are just fine.

Unless this is just a normal thing when its sunny out, I suspect its a power issue. I do have it on a much longer cable in the car, since I have to wire it under dash and around door frame up to top window to hide the cable. It is plugged into the 12v cig adapter plug that it came with. I have also tried to direct plug the into my 3 amp powered usb port i use for my phone...no change.

I have a Mini 0826 cam with a total of about a 15ft run of cable to the rear....it powers fine no matter where i plug it.

I had originally tried a USB Y splitter cable off the one usb cable I already had run so that I could power both the front cam (A119) and my rear cam(Mini 0826) off of the one 3a port. The A119 most certainly had power issues then, as it would turn on and record for a few secs, then power cycle. Massive lcd flickering and even rec light was very dim. The Mini 0826 ran fine. I removed the splitter cable and ran a dedicated cable for the A119.

Anyone know the power requirements of this A119 cam? I have a usb volt/amp meter I am gonna hook up and see what its pulling.

Does it only flicker when the engine/alternator is on, or also when just running on battery?

Are you having the same issue I'm having? My screen slowly starts flickering up until the screen saver kicks in. When I press any button after the screen saver comes on, the camera restarts. It just keeps doing that over and over.

See video here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-after-fw-2-0-update.22379/page-2#post-299445

Feel your screen, is it very hot?

The flicker starts almost immediately for me. It flickers when either on battery or engine on/alternator.

I have not noticed the unit getting hot. It was 23 F in my car yesterday morning. (its winter here now, I haven't had the cam in the summer, but I can say I never had an overheat issues with my Mini 0826 as it ran fine when my cars internal cab temp was 152F.)

Now, when I was using the splitter cable, the cam did do that power cycling issue like in your video. ALso, the video files were corrupted. I assume as it was not getting enough power.

The flicker starts almost immediately for me. It flickers when either on battery or engine on/alternator.

I have not noticed the unit getting hot. It was 23 F in my car yesterday morning. (its winter here now, I haven't had the cam in the summer, but I can say I never had an overheat issues with my Mini 0826 as it ran fine when my cars internal cab temp was 152F.)

Now, when I was using the splitter cable, the cam did do that power cycling issue like in your video. ALso, the video files were corrupted. I assume as it was not getting enough power.
Are you powering the camera though the GPS mount or the side port on the camera?

Now, when I was using the splitter cable
what USB port have you connected the power splitter? I tried to record video through a splitter and both cameras recorded video with no issues even from 1A USB port.

I came across this the other day on my A118 when I used a really cheap mini usb cable (actually the one that came in the box with the knock-off A118 I have). I am pretty certain the flickering issue is a power issue. I had run a 10 foot extension cable (going to put the A118 in the rear window when I can get the A119S) but when I connected a cheap and thin usb cable (the one that came with the knock off A118) to the end of it, the A118 would flicker and not work properly. Put a decent usb cable on the end of the extension and the camera was fine. So your problem is either your charger or cable, but most likely the cable you got. Get one from monoprice and you should be fine.

most common cause is low power, try a different cable, bypass that one to test with a shorter cable from cig plug straight to the camera and see if you still get any flickering

Are you powering the camera though the GPS mount or the side port on the camera?

most common cause is low power, try a different cable, bypass that one to test with a shorter cable from cig plug straight to the camera and see if you still get any flickering

NO gps mount. Unit does it with any cord I use in the car short, long. Same cable in my home from usb 2 amp charger i normally use does not exhibit issue.

Cam is pulling .400 to .600 amps according to my usb tester....same readings inside and in car.

I do have it on a 6ft usb extension cable, then a usb mini cable is wired up the frame...but I bypassed that and did my tests with single cable directly in to multiple multiple usb power ports i have available.

got a different power supply you can try in the car?

I use a 3 cig splitter that has 2 usb ports on it. Both ports cause issue. Used 3 different cig plug to usb adapters i have, same issue. Tried the cig plugs directly in the stock one cig plug my car has, removing the 3 splitter thing....no change.

I did notice it flickers all the time when recording...stop recording, the beep thing goes off and lcd flickers in sync with that.

I don't recall it doing this when I used it the first few days i got it....only thing I have done to it is flash the v.20 firmware.

Cam is pulling .400 to .600 amps according to my usb tester....same readings inside and in car.
what's the voltage on your usb tester during .4-.6A draw?

my cameras draw 0.21A - 0.49A at voltage from 4.9v to 5.3v. when I used the splitter 2 cameras draw 1.01A maximum.

Any chance it is an issue with the outlet itself? Can you test with the same components in another vehicle?

Or maybe test with a USB power bank / phone charger battery while in the car. That would tell you if it's interference from the car or just bad power.

Any chance it is an issue with the outlet itself? Can you test with the same components in another vehicle?

Or maybe test with a USB power bank / phone charger battery while in the car. That would tell you if it's interference from the car or just bad power.

Do not have access to an other vehicle....but a good idea

I did try a usb power bank at some point....i dont recall it flickering, only that the audio had a loud hum or buzz in the recording...my 0826 did the same thing on that power bank.

As long as the camera is recording fine...guess ill just leave it....but I really need the CPL, have so much glare....i ordered a CoverKing Black Suade dash cover...but that wont come for 3 weeks. Threw a black towel on my dash in the mean time. ALmost want to swtich back to my Mini 0826....the "fish eye" wide angle of the A119 also is a bit much for me....but too cold out now to be wanting to mess with it...

Back