Flip down polarizer

Radius8

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius (x3); SGGCX2
More "convenience" mod for my front cam which allows me to engage the polarizer by just flipping up the mount.

I am using a plastic linear polarizer sheet cut to size and glued onto a metal tube. At each end of tube I've also glued on a 1-64 nut. The brackets are 0.65 mm aluminum and are attached to the Mobius case via VHB tape. Small magnets hold the polarizer in the engaged or disengaged position thanks to a small tab made from ferrous metal simply epoxied onto the polarizer. My camera is mounted upside down in my car.

FlipPol_1.jpg

In engaged position:
FlipPol_2.jpg

In down position, keeps the polarizer away and another magnet prevents it from bouncing around from vibrations:
FlipPol_3.jpg

Very nicely done. I'm sure many of us have had a similar idea, but not got around to doing the deed. Nice touch how it tucks away when not needed.

Now add a light sensor and solenoid so it operates automatically!

Very nicely done. I'm sure many of us have had a similar idea, but not got around to doing the deed. Nice touch how it tucks away when not needed.

Now add a light sensor and solenoid so it operates automatically!

Actually, I've though of that and even looked into it but realized that it would involve a mechanism that would be larger than the camera itself :(.

You could look into something like the IR filter mechanism that's used for surveillance cameras.

I have one of these lens switching mechanism from a surveilance cam that I got for cheap. They are small and delicate and are really meant for mounting inside the camera body. Also, the switching mechanism requires polarity reversal to engage / disengage the filter complicating the control circuit. :(

I've looked into these as well. They have very short strokes and require constantly being powered to retain the desired state (unless two are used).

I don't imagine keeping one of these powered with 5V should be that much of an issue with a camera that also runs at 5V. They are spring operated so you only need power for one state and a switch, perhaps photodiode controled as @Rajagra suggests. As for the throw of the stroke, I think a simple cam mechanism and shaft extension could probably be fabricated. These come is different sizes as well.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion. I'm not a fan of polarizers on dash cams anyway. A good dash mat eliminates the need.

Back