Flooding in Cairns.

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
i was on holidays the last week in adelaide and missed all the huge amounts of rain cairns had. Had around 220mm of ran this day in cairns. not much compared to the outer regions around cairns who had around 600mm.
but the flooding still came.
wife was driving, she was scared car would stall and get flooded.
watch it all, more flooding road at the last lot.

Sounds like the kids enjoyed the experience a lot more than your wife. :D

Not often you need port and starboard in a car, or navigational lights for that matter. :)

Most often in situations like this when people flood their engine its becuz they go too fast, SOP for this in off roading are nice and easy get a little bow wave going and then follow it.

yeah the kids were definitely enjoying the novelty of it. my kids really enjoy the "rooster tails" when we hit big puddles or minor street flooding.

i learned how to drive in high water early, since i've lived on the gulf coast my whole life - dad explained why he did what he did as he drove through high water even when i was just a little kid. now i don't even think twice - just pay attention to certain clues, like the water getting wider, which means it's probably deeper there, and how high it is on things like signs, fire hydrants, etc - those also give you clues where the edges of the road are. for the video below, a full week after hurricane harvey hit houston - i opened my door while driving so i could see exactly how deep it was. since the water never got to the bottom of my door, i was fine. could have easily dealt with at least another 6"/12cm (with door shut of course), but i wasn't worried at all. like KK said - keep it slow, and if there's already oncoming traffic in the water, WAIT for them to go past so that neither of you gets stuck - your bow wave can cause problems for the other car, especially if your car is larger/taller than theirs. some idiot in a lifted chevy truck almost sank my old camry doing that to me. i held my ground in the center (high part) of the road, but his bow wave washed completely over the roof of my car and made my car actually float for a moment. thankfully it was brief enough that it didn't suck any water into the engine, and i was able to keep going, but man, was i pissed! before he came by, the water was already at the bottom of my headlights.

I like the American urge to break out the flag as often as possible, but just to underline so do we, this is day #1 in my friends new house.
O and BTW that's the guy that are not welcome in the USA, due to some mischief as a teen.
IMG_20180331_190934.jpg

You see im not kidding when i say there is a Texan living deep inside me, and also my friend it seem he have no Danish flag.

Back