FlyMod for Nextbase 512GW

TheBoyCanFly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was quite annoyed that Nextbase removed the option to disable their logo on recorded video for their 512GW dashcam, so this weekend I set about modifying the existing firmware to remove it and some other annoyances. Now that I've finished, I am releasing it in case someone else finds it useful!

https://www.piepal.co.uk/flymod

Nextbase 512GW - FlyMod by TheBoyCanFly
R15.8.01 - 25th February 2018

What is it?
FlyMod is a modification of the stock firmware for the Nextbase 512GW dashcam. It removes certain features that were annoying me. Below is a list of what is changed from the stock version.

* Removes Nextbase logo from recorded videos.
* Removes the "Recording Protected at" message from recorded videos.
* Stops the camera creating nextbase.info and nextbase.co.uk.url files.
* Keeps the low resolution recordings in a separate Movie folder so as not to clutter up the main folders.

How to install
Copy the included FW512GWA.bin file to an empty microSD card. Insert the card into your 512GW and connect the power cable to the USB port. The dashcam will turn on begin flashing the firmware. When it has finished, it will reboot and you will now be running FlyMod.

Disclaimer
While I have tested the firmware, I cannot be held responsible for any damage caused by installing it. Sometimes software just ****s the bed.

Enjoy!

TheBoyCanFly
Twitter: @TheBoyCanFly

http://www.piepal.co.uk/flymod

Shout out to tobi@s for his NVT tools!

I'm sure they will, the logo is probably the most complained about thing with the camera

did you check that it is recycling the low res files correctly after doing this 'Keeps the low resolution recordings in a separate Movie folder so as not to clutter up the main folders'?

Well, this was one part where I wasn't 100% sure what happened. My intention was to not have it save the low resolution versions at all, but when I removed that functionality, it automatically started saving them in a newly created folder called Movies. Even when you protect a file it puts the low res version in Movies/RO which is the old naming format, so I don't 100% know what is happening. You raise a good point, I doubt these will be recycled properly. I hadn't really thought of that. I will take another look at not having them save at all.

let the card fill up and once it starts recycling the high res files check if it is deleting the corresponding low res files at the same time, if it is it will likely be fine, if it isn't deleting the matching low res file then it will probably trip up

This is great if nextbase would encourage developers to do mods, rather like the community on XDA. It might invalidate the warranty. How are you modifying the code? As a suggestion, a time laps parking mode and on motion detection a normal 3 min recording.

let the card fill up and once it starts recycling the high res files check if it is deleting the corresponding low res files at the same time, if it is it will likely be fine, if it isn't deleting the matching low res file then it will probably trip up

Everything seems to be working as it should. It was never in doubt :p

This is great if nextbase would encourage developers to do mods, rather like the community on XDA. It might invalidate the warranty. How are you modifying the code? As a suggestion, a time laps parking mode and on motion detection a normal 3 min recording.

Most companies don't like you modifying their stuff. In the case of the Nextbase logo thing; they clearly don't want you to remove their logo, but at the same time I want clean footage. So without this mod, the dashcam would be returned and they lose money.

I use IDA to disassemble the firmware.

Hi @TheBoyCanFly (this is the same post as on the 412GW thread too).

Firstly, thank you so much for taking time to edit the software in this way.

However I must warn customers it would void the warranty if this unauthorised and untested firmware was installed.

Now onto the good news - with a small number of customers wishing to have the logo removed, we have just confirmed that a logo free version of the firmware will be available for ALL models.

This will be a separate firmware to current versions and available from us directly however it will just be the one version.

This should be available in around one week.

We can be contacted be email: support@nextbase.co.uk, call: 02920 866 429 or Live Chat www.nextbase.co.uk.

Last edited:
Everything seems to be working as it should. It was never in doubt :p

Most companies don't like you modifying their stuff. In the case of the Nextbase logo thing; they clearly don't want you to remove their logo, but at the same time I want clean footage. So without this mod, the dashcam would be returned and they lose money.

I use IDA to disassemble the firmware.
I guess for most people a logo wouldn't be an issue. I too would prefer choice though. I will have a look at IDA.

Well, the consensus is that the logo is an issue for a lot of people. Imagine paying all that money for a dashcam only then to have to advertise the dashcam on your footage. Not ideal.

It seems as though nextbase is listening to it's customers. This is good.

Yes, say no to LO files. Don't need them, don't want them!

Indeed - if we WANT a lower-resolution version of a file, we can create it with the Replay 3 app....

Its for Wi-Fi @Stampy - for quick transfer at the road side or similar.

Lowering the resolution on the computer wouldn't give much benefit.

So, approximately 3Gb per 32Gb (I've got a Samsung evo 32Gb) is taken up. Thinking of 128Gb, that will take up 12Gb of storage. So imagine if you bought a 128Gb and only got 116Gb. You'd be furious.

I've not had much success with stopping the LO files entirely. I might look at deleting the previously created lo files the next time a recording starts. This would stop them accumulating so much space.

At first I thought I'd stick the 412gw on ebay and get a 512gw and put this firmware on it. But what I'll actually do is put the 412gw 0n ebay and get something completely different. Logo and Lo file problem solved!

The new "custom" firmware with no logo for the 412gw, turns out to be the old firmware R9.5 That's what I'm already running!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T 512GW 0
S 512GW 7
Drew1951 512GW 7
C 512GW 5
A 512GW 1
Back