FlyMod for Nextbase 512GW

At first I thought I'd stick the 412gw on ebay and get a 512gw and put this firmware on it. But what I'll actually do is put the 412gw 0n ebay and get something completely different. Logo and Lo file problem solved!

The new "custom" firmware with no logo for the 412gw, turns out to be the old firmware R9.5 That's what I'm already running!

Most of the nextbase dashcams are best buys on which. I was thinking of getting viofo but decided on nextbase based on which. I'm happy with the 512gw and personal wouldn't swap even though logo and LO files are unnecessary.

The thing with Which? is that they test a range of products side by side and the same team make the evaluation. If they say ThinkWare aren't as good then that's good enough for me.

Plus, they don't get pre-prepared goods from manufacturers but they buy them like we would.

There's several reasons I'm changing. Obviously the logo and lo files are two of them, also the night/low light footage isn't very good. I also now want a rear cam which rules out the 512GW as well, certainly for the time being at least. The things I like on the 412gw are the daytime footage and the magnetic mount, makes it very easy to pop in and out of the car.

There's several reasons I'm changing. Obviously the logo and lo files are two of them, also the night/low light footage isn't very good. I also now want a rear cam which rules out the 512GW as well, certainly for the time being at least. The things I like on the 412gw are the daytime footage and the magnetic mount, makes it very easy to pop in and out of the car.

I'd be interested if you'd find anything better at night. I'd don't think the tech is available yet that can read number plates at speed, at least at around £100 - £200. Dont expect DSLR quality, they can cost thousands. The 512gw day footage is good and the night is not as good but still usable.

The thing with Which? is that they test a range of products side by side and the same team make the evaluation. If they say ThinkWare aren't as good then that's good enough for me.

Plus, they don't get pre-prepared goods from manufacturers but they buy them like we would.

Yes, I don't trust any of those Amazon 5 star reviews anymore. Before the nextbase I had a Roav based on amazon reviews. I had to send it back because it was awful. Only the 2 star reviews highlighted the same issues I had.

When I read open reviews I read the 1 star ones, not the 5 star. Also on Amazon look at the overall 1 to 5 star orange bars to see the percentages of each. That tells a story.

If you read closely most high reviews seem to be when they've just opened the box and haven't a clue about long term performance. The low reviews are when they say 'it broke after a few months'

When I say "isn't very good" I mean it's bloody awful! In low light it's like being in a brown and yellow snow storm, I'd be impressed if you could tell what make the cars were let alone the number plate. when in a fairly brightly lit area, it's a little better but not much. I'm having a good look around this time especially as I'm after a dual set up, I don't mind spending £200+ ish. Might go for two seperate and use the 412gw in the rear, not ideal, but as I already have it...
Totally agree with the review thing, I've been caught out a few times by only reading the good 5* reviews, always read the 1* first!

@Jacko956 no you still have 128Gb of storage, a small percentage of that is taken to ensure speedy Wi-Fi transfer.

You can't think of it in that way: each model will save different lengths of time onto the same amount of storage depending on their file size. Someone with a 720p camera would also in that case be furious, if they upgraded to a 4K as it wouldn't store as much "time" on the same capacity.

@alien8 a snow storm?! Could you send us in a file for us to take a look and help diagnose a little better?

It will be too large to send through an email so please use the service that www.wetransfer.com offer, you can send up to 2Gb to us free of charge.

Use our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient and please write in the message box to allow us to understand why you are sending the file in.

So how much memory do you think you actually get when you buy a 128Gb card?

I've only got a 32Gb card. 3.27Gb is taken up with LO, 25Gb with HI. Card has 1.36Gb of free space left (think there will always be a bit free that never gets used). So if you bought a 128Gb card I would think 13.08Gb would be taken up with LO and 100Gb with HI.
Actually, to put all this in perspective my 32Gb card currently has 15.6Gb locked with protected files. Think this might be more of an issue than LO files. Should really delete the locked files daily to save space.

@alien8 a snow storm?! Could you send us in a file for us to take a look and help diagnose a little better?

It will be too large to send through an email so please use the service that www.wetransfer.com offer, you can send up to 2Gb to us free of charge.

Use our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient and please write in the message box to allow us to understand why you are sending the file in.
To be honest, Tiffany, I can't be bothered, I'm most likely changing it soon anyway. As the day footage is quite good I doubt there is anything actually wrong with it, I've seen similar night videos on You Tube. Here is a video with similar results (not mine), if you're interested

When I say "isn't very good" I mean it's bloody awful! In low light it's like being in a brown and yellow snow storm, I'd be impressed if you could tell what make the cars were let alone the number plate. when in a fairly brightly lit area, it's a little better but not much. I'm having a good look around this time especially as I'm after a dual set up, I don't mind spending £200+ ish. Might go for two seperate and use the 412gw in the rear, not ideal, but as I already have it...
Totally agree with the review thing, I've been caught out a few times by only reading the good 5* reviews, always read the 1* first!

This is what I get at day & night:-

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2018-03-06-17h50m21s867.jpg
    vlcsnap-2018-03-06-17h50m21s867.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 32
  • vlcsnap-2018-03-06-18h07m59s627.jpg
    vlcsnap-2018-03-06-18h07m59s627.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 28
This is what I get at day & night:-
My daytime is about the same but I'd say your night one is better than mine. You see what I mean about the brown and yellow.

you'll notice that the Nextbase logo is nice and sharp though ;)

My daytime is about the same but I'd say your night one is better than mine. You see what I mean about the brown and yellow.

you'll notice that the Nextbase logo is nice and sharp though ;)

Nothing can be done with the brown and yellow, that's the street lighting on a rainy morning. I just get a bit of highlight flare in daylight, probably due to the windscreen. But pleased with my 512gw.

@Jacko956 no you still have 128Gb of storage, a small percentage of that is taken to ensure speedy Wi-Fi transfer.

You can't think of it in that way: each model will save different lengths of time onto the same amount of storage depending on their file size. Someone with a 720p camera would also in that case be furious, if they upgraded to a 4K as it wouldn't store as much "time" on the same capacity.

I understand. However, I have only had the 512gw for a few days for but have learnt that the parking mode sensor is quite sensitive, more so it seems than when driving and soon a build up of protected files will gradually reduce the storage space (including the LO files) and therefore will need to format the card every few days. Its not a device that can be fitted and forgotten. The LO file is less of an issue in comparison.

The answer is more storage. Is 256Gb or even 512Gb possible?

As a further aside, in this and other threads; here we have the OP (and elsewhere there are) other members complaining about the logo being there and around the forums saying why should we have it as its free advertising etc etc... there are other manufacturers that also have it yet nobody has complained on them. Yi and GitUp are two examples of brands that have logos in the top corners yet they are not moaned about. There will be other brands similar I'm sure.

The point is (not aimed at the OP) logos are part and parcel of many dashcams. Nextbase are helping remove it but I never consider it as being an issue seeing logos on ANY dashcam video.

*Edit bits of this cos predictive text on the phone is a pain, lol)

Last edited:
As a further aside, in this and other threads; here we have the OP and elsewhere other members complaining about the logo being there and around the forums saying why should we have it visits free advertising etc etc... there are other manufacturers that also have it yet nobody has complained on them. Yi and GitUp are two examples of brands that have logos in the top corners yet they are not moaned about. There will be other brands similar I'm sure.

The point is (not aimed at the OP) logos were part and parcel of many dashcams. Nextbase are helping remove it but I never to I d it to be an issue seeing logos on ANY dashcam video.

Although other manufacturers might have their logos as a permanent feature it doesn't follow that there shouldn't be an option to turn it off. I'm of the opinion that my dashcam is to be used as evidence and on that score it is most useful either with or without logo. The logo would be an issue for someone wanting to make a movie of their road trip with a dashcam. There are cameras more suitable for filming.

Exactly. It's all about having the option. I doubt that given the choice anyone would actually turn the logo on. It's funny actually, I was watching a compilation of dashcam videos and not once did I see a logo until there was a clip with a Nextbase camera.

I think what grinds people's gears is that they have explicitly taken away the option to remove it. It used to be there on my 312GW.

Exactly. It's all about having the option. I doubt that given the choice anyone would actually turn the logo on. It's funny actually, I was watching a compilation of dashcam videos and not once did I see a logo until there was a clip with a Nextbase camera.

we have logos on our cameras which are on by default but there is a menu option to turn them off if the user doesn't want it, a surprising number of people do leave it on, in all fairness though our logo is a lot more discreet and it is placed in the lower corner of the video which is just in the dashboard area in most cases, I think it's ok to be proud of your brand, but don't force it on people

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T 512GW 0
S 512GW 7
Drew1951 512GW 7
C 512GW 5
A 512GW 1
Back