Focus Issue?

Nigel Jones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted a request for advise in December of last year and eventually contacted HDigitalEye who kindly replaced the camera after I had poor quality video recordings however, I seem to be having problems with the replacement and think that it may be focus issues this time and hopefully some body may be able to advise?

This is a screenshot taken from outside of the car so as to ensure that there were no reflections from the windscreen.

Many thanks in advance.
Nigel.External out of focus Picture.jpg

not the best pic to judge focus, got anything else?

how does it compare between hot and cold?

The focus on my first LS460W was a bit soft, the second was sharper but they both had the issue where the focus changed in hot and cold due to the lens holders and I got a refund in the end.

I've currently got one of the Street Guardian SG9665GCs which is basically the DOD LS460W with all of the focus issues fixed in a much smaller size plus with better night quality.

That picture does look to be out of focus on the left - if you can I'd try and get my money back and buy the SG9665GC instead.

Hello Jokiin and Reverend!!

many thanks for your replies, Jokiin, I'm afraid that is the only one that I have at the moment though regardless of the temperature I have found that when passing stationary cars in built up areas the number plates are slightly blurred.

reverend, many thanks for your advice, I know when I approached the company for a replacement I felt that I was a bit of a nuisance to them, sent them an e-mail this morning so will see what they suggest but I would now rather have a refund even though I first purchased last July.

Do not have internet at home so use public library three times a week so will inform when I next visit.

Regards
Nigel.

Just a quick update, had e-mail from HDigitalEye who have requested the return of the camera and will replace it for another one so hopefully the replacement will be fault free.

Incidentally I used to have the DOD F88O LHD and the quality of day and night recordings were OK and this was the basis of purchasing the DOD L460W especially after seeing user videos on You Tube.

Just have to wait and see what developes.

Regards
Nigel

Just a quick update, had received a replacement unit on Wednesday though unfortunately when I first used the camera Friday found that the GPS was not connecting until I made a return journey from shopping and then the speed readouts were eratic sometimes over reading by as much as 8mph but only for a second. Used the reset button button at the side of the unit and also reset all settings to default via the main menu bar.

Tried it again as I came to the library and still there were signs that it was having problems. Whether this may be down to atmosheric conditions or problems in communicating with the satellite I do not know but have informed the company who supplied it of the above but at the same time have requested that I run it for at least six weeks to see if it settles down and hopefully it may be just a hicupp in the unit that will clear itself over the next few days!!

I do not at this stage want to write it off so will see how it goes but if no improvement then I will be looking in taking your advices about buying the other camera you suggested the Street Guardian SG9665GC.

May be about six weeks before a further update but will keep you informed.

Regards
Nigel.

Last edited:
To be honest the six weeks seems excessive.

What sort of car do you have there? I'm just wondering if it's a coating on the glass that is causing the GPS problems?

Good luck anyway and I hope it all works out ok for you.

Hello Reverend, I know six weeks may appear to be a long time but being retired I use the car about 3 days a week with a long journey about once every four weeks so mainly local journeys only, I have not had any problems with the GPS on the other units that I have had, only this one.

If the problem persists over the next few weeks I will then approach the supplier sooner. My full year warranty runs out in July so have to come to a decision soon.

take it out to clear open sky, power on and leave it for 20 or 30 minutes, if it hasn't got full signal then you can be sure that in 6 weeks, or 6 months, or 6 years even it's not going to

Hello Jokiin, many thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay in replying as the library was shut on Monday!!

I received reply from HDigital Eye who gave me a link for an update which I have already installed. The GPS appears to be working OK now however the Head Up Display is eratic i.e. coming on then off returning to the screen recording and compass has eratic movements. Prefer to use the HU Display rather than having the screen recording running but becoming a bit fed up with the HU Display misbehaving in this way. Also found that the recording files when saved were not in numerical order but scattered around so if wanting to view a journey one ends up having to searfch for the next video clip!!

Really not sure what to do in this situation, just ignore the HU Display and not bother with it but at the end of the day when one pays good money for a product then surely you don't just have to put up with minor faults. What do you think I should now do,

Have said in my e-mail to them that I am making a longer drive next week so will use that as the final test for the camera. This is the second replacement I have had and don't really want to continue having a replacement delivered then finding further faults. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I miss your replies today it won't be til Friday before I return to the library. Many thanks in advance

Regards
Nigel.

the files not being in the correct order seems rather odd, is it losing time and date information at all?

did you reset all defaults?

Time and date I will have to keep an eye on as I have not checked that but I did reset the camera by using the reset button situated by thte HDMI connector.

Will do another reset later today and let you know on Friday.

Regards
Nigel

that reset button is a hardware reset, have a look in the settings menu for a reset defaults option to put all the settings as they should be

if time and date is changing erratically and messing with file order that could be an indication that you still have GPS issues

Thanks Jokiin, will reset camera to default settings then let you know on Friday if there is any change.

Regards
Nigel.

Hello Jokiin, have done an update on the camera but unfortunately the GPS still takes some time to connect and when it has te HU Display does not work as it should. You asked a question as to whether the time and date were affected, I can now confirm this as when the camera is switched on I have to reset the time and sometimes the date.

I tried out the camera again today but the recorded files where not in numerical order as they should be and attach screenshot for your information, this was after I had reset all defaults after installing the update! !
Have included a screen shot for you, by clicking on the picture the files are easier to read also the times given as to the recordings are one hour behind the actual time, this was despite resetting to correct time yesterday.

Regards
Nigel.
Recorded Files.jpg

have you got motion detect turned on?

what timezone do you live in?

what timezone have you selected in the settings menu?

is is daylight savings time where you are?

Motion Detect is not used time zone GMT and presently set at GMT+00 (Summertime Setting)

Hope this helps.

Nigel.

it's daylight savings time in the UK right now yes? if so you need to set your timezone to GMT +1 to add one hour

the files you're looking at are in the RO folder which are event files, try using Regsitrator Viewer to load and view the files and it should sort things correctly for you

Just a quick update regarding focus issues and also the other fault with the GPS. I have now received a replacement DOD LS460W from HDigitalEye as they had a new batch arrive and they sent me one of those. Looking at the date of manufacture it shows April 2015 on the sticker. The quality is much improved and I am very happy with it. I have found that during the time I was having problems with the cameras HDigitalEye were extremely helpful and did everything they could to resolve this and I have nothing but praise for their customer support.
2 screenshots below though I should have lowered the camera a bit more. I had not fully set up the camera when this recording was made.

BTW these screen shots are taken from the 64Gb card that I am now using with the LS460W.

Regards
Nigel.

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KrazyJay DOD LS460 4
Jamin_00 DOD LS460 5
SnitserNL DOD LS460 6
Back