Focus problem - left vs right

paniczklos

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi guys,
I thought I've set my focus perfectly, but than I've noticed that the focus on left side of the photos is different than on the right side (!). Hence I've decided to make a little test.

I've taken one photo and than turned the camera upside down, so tthe photos are exactly the same, but rotated 180 degrees.

On the left side are the pictures taken the right side up (first two are from the left side of the picture, and the arduino is from the right side of the picture). Do you think it's fixable ? And most important of all, how could it be ?
Fj3ZfuP.png

On the left side are the pictures
On the very left side of the screen I see your avatar and it makes me think my eyes are out of focus ! :)
Welcome to the forum !

Hello to you too ! ;) everytime I get the same response - but that's why I love my avatar ;)

Hello to you too ! ;) everytime I get the same response - but that's why I love my avatar ;)
I am glad its your avatar and not my needs to visit an optician [emoji5]

these photos are too blurry to be useful

if the focus is ok on one side but not the other generally means the lens base is not square, there could be something between the base and PCB, base not screwed on correctly, or just a manufacturing fault

check for any obstruction or if it's loose, if that checks out it's likely a fault with the base, you may be able to shim it under one side to get it correct, might take a bit of trial and error to get it right but not impossible to fix (as long as you're patient)

these photos are too blurry to be useful

if the focus is ok on one side but not the other generally means the lens base is not square, there could be something between the base and PCB, base not screwed on correctly, or just a manufacturing fault

check for any obstruction or if it's loose, if that checks out it's likely a fault with the base, you may be able to shim it under one side to get it correct, might take a bit of trial and error to get it right but not impossible to fix (as long as you're patient)

I'll try to tighten the screws, as I don't want to mess anything more, as I need the camera tomorrow to be fully functional ;p

The pictures are blurry because these are just cutouts from one picture (in 100% zoom) to show the difference between left and right side.
So for example the Arduino board is on the far right side of the "scene" , so the picture on the left shows the focus of the right side of the lens, and the picture on the right shows the focus of the left side of the lens (as the picture was taken upside down).

This is more or less the whole scene and the cutouts :
upload_2016-3-3_9-6-29.png

Full picture is better to judge but better if you can judge left and right side at the same distance, the print outs you have there are ideal but set them up at the same distance from the camera, that room looks long and narrow so maybe not the best spot to be doing this

Hm I still can't explaint it right ;p
I took two pictures:
- the camera was in the exact same spot
- in one picture the camera was in normal position
- in the second picture the camera was rotated 180 degress, so the right side became left side and the left side became right side - the lens was in the exact same position only upside down
- I've rotated the second picture 180 degrees so it's in the same orientation as the first one
- I've made the comparison of the exact same pictures with the only difference being the camera position
- so for example the arduino board is in the same exact distance from the camera and in the same exact position on the picture
- so on my initial comparison the left column is from the picture taken in normal position and the right column is form the picture taken upside down.
- So on one picture the left side is blurry and on the second the right side is blurry

I hope it explained it ;)
I'll do more tests today , but I've noticed the same effect while taking pictures in open spaces.

I dont know what quality the lens is , or if its a plastic or glass lens ( Bla bla bla )
Here is what I know , you dont want a dash camera focused to close ,
Turning the lens inward , focuses further away , turn the lens out and you are focusing closer in ...
This is a dash cam ? for use on the road ?
Than you probably want the focus set to infinity ...
If the focus is a little softer close up , it matters not because stuff is close up and it will be clear ..
I found the only way to be sure is , focus the best you can , check the footage ..
Then go for a drive and tweak as needed ...
Another thing , focus on dashcams is affected by light ...
The darker it is , the softer and out of focus the image will look ( because of lighting ) ...
There is no substitute for a drive test ...

Take a photo of a large brick wall or similar square on, no need to turn the camera upside down, just compare left and right

I didn't have a large brick wall in my room yesterday ;)
But I'll take it today afternoon, thatnks for the idea.

Same problema i buy new lens and the problem still there, i think is the sensor is not aligned with the lens.

How do you fix the lens issue?

xiaomi

yi action camera, I have the same issue blurred imgae left or right.

you might need to remove the lens base from the PCB and check for anything that is not allowing it to sit square and then reseat it, if it's off on one side only it's often the base rather than the lens

Back