Focus Shift/Blur..not happy (SOLVED!)

CRS 123

Reaction score
Country
United States
Uhggg....I'm getting definite focus blur after the camera has warmed up. The camera does not even have to be exposed to direct sunlight. The video softens like a soft filter has been put on it. This happens with a CPL either on or off, also, with the camera either in or out of the car (not pointing through a windshield. I have a handheld surface temp reader, the outside of the camera casing will go from ambient 50 degrees in the morning, and after I have driven for awhile the case will reach around 100 degrees F without direct sunlight. Perhaps the case is not vented enough? Here are two screen grabs at a gas station. the 'Hot" one is when I pulled in and parked in the shade. Notice the palm leaves and the details on the building. Now the "cool" or cool down camera just 12 to 15 minutes later. Nothing else has changed but temp. See the difference? this is frustrating, as I have had this issue with Guardian in past. Note: my Viofo 119S ver 2 never displayed this issue. Its a major focus issue for me
hot.jpgcold.jpg

email received & replacement is on the way.
As usual...the customer service for Street Guardian is A+. I love this product and I’m confident this focus shift was a rarity....otherwise more end users would be reporting about it :)
Thanks again
CRS

Well it is a new product and on the northern hemisphere it is the cold season, but no doubt the brand will do what need to be done if problems arise.

So you might be unlucky and have a initial minor inconvenience, but with most other brands that is a major if not game changing experience.

Yours do look to go "soft" with the appliance of a little heat.

Again...thanks for the great customer support. Here is another example from today (don't have the new camera yet) of what I'm experiencing. Pronounced blur when the camera is at working temp. After sitting for 30 minutes( car was in the su, windows up, sun coming from the rear) you can clearly see the difference ....tree and plant foliage especially. I'm hoping it's not inherent in the design. Fingers crossed!
hot 2.jpgcold 2.jpg

HOT car in front of you too :cool:

Lucky you have aircon, i dont have that luxury in my little Suzuki car, and even if i had it would Zapp 25% of the engine power when on :giggle:

A happy result with the new camera: Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to Jon, who went out of his way for a practically overnight swap out :)

Hi Jon:
Just wanted to follow up. The new camera is great. A much better picture and focus overall and so far zero heat related focus shift. I’ve driven with it on the same locations and weather conditions as the other camera and it has held a very clear focus…as I said before, better clarity than the other camera ever had for some reason. I noticed that the new camera has what looks like a slightly different lens housing? Anyway, I also greatly appreciated that you even went to the trouble to set the date/time and time region offset !. Thanks again for the stellar customer service. The return camera went in the mail today.

Cheers, and thanks
CRS

Back