Foggy image

TallSaul

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi Everyone,
I am new here and I would like to share with you an issue i have with my 2 years old DR3500-FHD.
I am located in Israel and I bought the DashCam in Vancouver Canada.
The Image is sharp but Foggy and can not be used for any purpose.
The only reason I could think of is some kind of optical disturbance and since I am not going to ship the DashCam across half world, I have decided to look into a possible cause for the foggy image.
After removing the lens module I could clearly see that the surface of lens adjacent to the CCD sensor is covered with blisters and the only reason I can think of is extreme heat.
I know it can get extremely hot in a parked car (sometimes under direct middle-east sunlight) but such conditions should be taken into consideration. I wrote to BlackVue support desk asking for a new lens module. I will share with you guys their response.
I wonder if someone from BlackVue would like to comment.

Attachments

• DR3500 Lense.jpg
    DR3500 Lense.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DR3500 SN.jpg
    DR3500 SN.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DR3500-FHD foggy image.jpg
    DR3500-FHD foggy image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 17
Screen protector still on?

This is not the case. I have cleaned the lens and it looks perfect now. After reinstalling the lens and testing the image is back to normal but slightly out of focus.
I guess trial & error will bring the DashCam back to focus. Is there a slicker way to achieve optimal focus with one go?

I enclose a photo of the lens after cleaning.

Attachments

• Lens after cleaning.jpg
    Lens after cleaning.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 12
This is the image after cleaning the lens. slightly out of focus but good contrast and colors.

Attachments

• Image after cleaning.jpg
    Image after cleaning.jpg
    708 KB · Views: 18
common complaint with these older models, there are even some how-to videos on YouTube showing how to disassemble, clean and assemble etc

Have done a couple. Not hard to do Just be careful when taking it apart Clean inner end of lens with iosopropyl alcohol and reassemble Worked for me. If you are careful you can cut around the join in the lens to free the threads and refocus it then put a drop of glue on it when its right. How to's on You tube as Jokiin said

Almost looks like lens fungus, but if it's a common problem, fungus is probably not the cause. (Though it is contagious between lenses.)
Even so, it might be a good idea to expose that surface to direct sunlight for a few hours if you can.

Almost looks like lens fungus, but if it's a common problem, fungus is probably not the cause. (Though it is contagious between lenses.)
Even so, it might be a good idea to expose that surface to direct sunlight for a few hours if you can.

I believe the problem was traced back to an issue with some adhesive used in the manufacture of their lenses, it's only some of the older models that were affected

So after cleaning the lens, and since I removed the threaded part of the lens from its base, I had to figure a way of focusing the DashCam.
What I did was:
1. Create a calibration scale on a masking tape on the lens base and a reference point on the moving section of the lens.
2. While recording short video segments with different lens positions, adding a voice note stating the current lens position for each segment.
3. Replaying the segments on a computer thus establishing the best lens position for best focus.
4. Fixing lens position with 2 drops of Araldite fast setting epoxy adhesive.

I guess disassembling the lens base by removing the 2 screws would save the need to refocus the DashCam.

Attachments

• Final result.jpg
    Final result.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Focusing method.jpg
    Focusing method.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 14
Yes because there is a lens there that needs cleaning as well

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P DR3500-FHD 1
Back