FOGGY LENS & CONDENSATION RING INSIDE WATERPROOF CASE

DiversionXj

Reaction score
Country
Spain
After just 10 minutes of using the camera I get condensation inside the waterproof case around the lenses. Outside temperature just 24 degrees Celsius, happens in lower temp aswell.
Take a look at these photos, first when I start riding, then after 10 minutes and later. I had to lower resolution from 2560x1440 to 1280x720 to get them uploaded on this site, so they don t reflect actual quality of vlc player snapshot.vlcsnap-2016-06-20-21h11m10s459.png vlcsnap-2016-06-20-20h44m33s838.png vlcsnap-2016-06-20-20h47m18s837.png
Do you also get this foggy ring around your lenses and video? thank you

Maybe your camera was stored in a wet place?

Maybe your camera was stored in a wet place?

No, I keep it always in it s waterproof case, except for charging, haven t got a chance to go to the pool yet. I think it is caused by heat when camera worms up, it appears in the corners of the case, but specially around the lenses of the camera , but not on the lenses, just on the inside of the case.2016_0618_164251_002.JPG

No, I keep it always in it s waterproof case, except for charging, haven t got a chance to go to the pool yet. I think it is caused by heat when camera worms up, it appears in the corners of the case, but specially around the lenses of the camera , but not on the lenses, just on the inside of the case.View attachment 23972
I keep my waterproof cases opened in a zip lock bag with dessicant bags, and the cam in a camera bag.

After just 10 minutes of using the camera I get condensation inside the waterproof case around the lenses. Outside temperature just 24 degrees Celsius, happens in lower temp aswell.
Take a look at these photos, first when I start riding, then after 10 minutes and later. I had to lower resolution from 2560x1440 to 1280x720 to get them uploaded on this site, so they don t reflect actual quality of vlc player snapshot.View attachment 23971 View attachment 23969 View attachment 23970
Do you also get this foggy ring around your lenses and video? thank you
The middle image has no fogging! Is that one taken with cam outside of case?

If you keep it sealed inside the waterproof case then it can never dry out! Let it dry when not in use, only seal the case shut when in use.

If you seal the case in hot humid conditions and then the temperature drops you will then get condensation, if you seal the case in cool conditions and then use it in hot conditions it should be OK.

The middle image has no fogging! Is that one taken with cam outside of case?

The middle photo was taken in the waterproof case but just in under 2 minutes from camera start up, I posted screenshots from begining of the ride, 10 min later and from the end of the video (actually I do 2min videos), just check timestamps for timediference. So the first videos are ok, after about 10 min of filming I get the foggy ring around lenses.
I do remove the cam from it s case allmost after each ride bcos I have to recharge it, in most of my rides the battery dies before I get back home. The foggy ring only appears in longer videos, if I take a quick ride to work, for example, for a few minutes, it will not happen.
It doesn t matter which resolution I use (normally 1080/60fps or superior) the fog will appear within minutes. It s weird that it only surrounds the edges of the lenses (on the case, not actual lenses). The image doesnt lose focus , but I get a result that looks like "tunnel vision" with only a center part of the image visible, basically what you see in those screenshots.
I know that heat can be a issue in such a small enclosed space such as the case, for example some dashcams lose focus when they heat up, maybe the interior heat is causing it, but this is not normal, I ll endup drilling holes in the case.

I took my Git2 to a water park just the other day. I had to open the case twice to dry it out . I forgot to bring the anti fog pads along that go inside the waterproof housing. I didn't have any fog in the lens area though , only around the body. I used the hand dryer blower in the restroom to dry it quickly .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The middle photo was taken in the waterproof case but just in under 2 minutes from camera start up, I posted screenshots from begining of the ride, 10 min later and from the end of the video (actually I do 2min videos), just check timestamps for timediference. So the first videos are ok, after about 10 min of filming I get the foggy ring around lenses.
I do remove the cam from it s case allmost after each ride bcos I have to recharge it, in most of my rides the battery dies before I get back home. The foggy ring only appears in longer videos, if I take a quick ride to work, for example, for a few minutes, it will not happen.
It doesn t matter which resolution I use (normally 1080/60fps or superior) the fog will appear within minutes. It s weird that it only surrounds the edges of the lenses (on the case, not actual lenses). The image doesnt lose focus , but I get a result that looks like "tunnel vision" with only a center part of the image visible, basically what you see in those screenshots.
I know that heat can be a issue in such a small enclosed space such as the case, for example some dashcams lose focus when they heat up, maybe the interior heat is causing it, but this is not normal, I ll endup drilling holes in the case.

It seems purely a moisture issue. Especially if you operate in a low altitude high temperature environment , close to water where the humidity is especially higher. Somehow you have some moisture in there (store it/ all of it in sealed bags with moisture absorbent silicon gel packets or in a rice bag for a while). Due to the law of thermodynamics and air rapidly moving over the case you are going to see cooling and condensation with any moisture inside. Common problem.

The cursed dew point, not only the mortal enemy of painters ;)

It seems purely a moisture issue. Especially if you operate in a low altitude high temperature environment , close to water where the humidity is especially higher. Somehow you have some moisture in there (store it/ all of it in sealed bags with moisture absorbent silicon gel packets or in a rice bag for a while). Due to the law of thermodynamics and air rapidly moving over the case you are going to see cooling and condensation with any moisture inside. Common problem.

I do live by the beach, it s true there is a lot of humidity.
I do clean it when I see moisture inside, tried riding with skeleton case and the result is :
1 audio is unusable unless I m stoped at trafic and there s no wind and
2 I get a lot of rainbows / colour aberation from sunlight.
So I ll drill some holes in this case and buy a decent gopro case, the git2 case is fugly and big, plus case buttons already came loose. I ll try with silicon gel packets too. Thanks guys!

I do live by the beach, it s true there is a lot of humidity.
I do clean it when I see moisture inside, tried riding with skeleton case and the result is :
1 audio is unusable unless I m stoped at trafic and there s no wind and
2 I get a lot of rainbows / colour aberation from sunlight.
So I ll drill some holes in this case and buy a decent gopro case, the git2 case is fugly and big, plus case buttons already came loose. I ll try with silicon gel packets too. Thanks guys!
The small metal clips that hold the buttons in/on the case popped off?

The small metal clips that hold the buttons in/on the case popped off?

Yes, one of them did within the first week of use, I ve put it back in, tightened it, and it is waterproof. This case really looks lowcost, the rest of the camera and accesories look better. I ve seen fake sjcams with better looking cases.

Yes, one of them did within the first week of use, I ve put it back in, tightened it, and it is waterproof. This case really looks lowcost, the rest of the camera and accesories look better. I ve seen fake sjcams with better looking cases.

@gitup you guys know about this? I've seen it in about every 50 pro cameras

Found a solution in a youtube video, skip to minute 2. It involves simple paper towels cut in to tiny pieces and placed inside the case, worked like a charm for me this morning, 1 hour ride and no foggy lenses, hurrey!
Hope it helps for those that have same problem, seams it also happens with Gopros, Sony and Sjcams, basically anything with a waterproof case

Found a solution in a youtube video, skip to minute 2. It involves simple paper towels cut in to tiny pieces and placed inside the case, worked like a charm for me this morning, 1 hour ride and no foggy lenses, hurrey!
Hope it helps for those that have same problem, seams it also happens with Gopros, Sony and Sjcams, basically anything with a waterproof case

And... this is much cheaper and just as effective as the highly overpriced GoPro Anti-Fog Inserts. But ya know.. feel free to drop up to 20EUR on the GoPro branded crap if you feel like throwing your money away!

Back