For budget dash cameras ($50-$160 USD), is a extended warranty a good idea?

jfsoto1988

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware F50, Thinkware F200, Thinkware FA200.
When I bought my Thinkware F50 & Spy Tec G1W-C from Best Buy & Amazon.com I passed on the protection plan, but now I am starting to think paying those extra $10 or $14 might of been a good idea. Even though these are budget capacitor dash cams, they are still a big investment. Should I just stick with the limited warranty offered by the manufacturers?

BTW, I bought the Thinkware F50 on December 17. Is it too late to buy the Geek Squad Protection Plan from Best Buy? I know these things might have a short trip period from the time of purchase.

If it is the plan through assurant on amazon i'd stay away. I haven't had the best luck with dash cams and was strongly considering the same thing on my recent sgz12rc purchase... until I started reading some reviews (outside of amazon). Seems like it's basically a scam and they will weasle their way out of paying anyway they can. For future purchases if you want a good warranty get something from street guardianusa or pier28... it's only a year but no hassle. I dealt with jon through pier28 (who split off and is now streetguardianusa) when I had problems with my X2 and can't recommend doing business with him enough. First time my x2 broke he shipped a replacement right away, and the second time when I was actually out of warranty he gave me a 50% discount through lukasdirect. Ended up getting a 400+ cam for a little over $200 that's been treating me good for over 6 months now, with anyone else I'd have most likely been SOL.

Last edited:
Yep or like estore900. (quote)...... "Send it back to us with the return mail and we will fix it" (unquote)..... I live in oz they are in China:)

In reality it is often not understood how hard these little cameras work. You keep a Cannon whatever for years and it might do 24 hours of video. You throw a match box processor on the wind screen and it runs for 6 hours at a time on a long trip over a year. Me I am glad to get six months out of a small $60 to $100.00 dollar unit. My first Blueskysea has done a year and a Mobius three years on a bicycle, at around three thousand klm.
I post here more out of interest than any knocking of products. I would never go for an extended warranty.

If it is the plan through assurant on amazon i'd stay away. I haven't had the best luck with dash cams and was strongly considering the same thing on my recent sgz12rc purchase... until I started reading some reviews (outside of amazon). Seems like it's basically a scam and they will weasle their way out of paying anyway they can. For future purchases if you want a good warranty get something from street guardianusa or pier28... it's only a year but no hassle. I dealt with jon through pier28 (who split off and is now streetguardianusa) when I had problems with my X2 and can't recommend doing business with him enough. First time my x2 broke he shipped a replacement right away, and the second time when I was actually out of warranty he gave me a 50% discount through lukasdirect. Ended up getting a 400+ cam for a little over $200 that's been treating me good for over 6 months now, with anyone else I'd have most likely been SOL.
Jon @Street Guardian USA always provides over the top service and support.

Squaretrade is one warranty provider that is supposed to be good. However, when you compare the cost of protection to the cost of failure it may not be worthwhile especially if there is a deductible.

Purchasing insurance of any kind is always a waste of money, until you need it.

Back