For Use in Hot Climate, and SD Card Query

bigston

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks to all who replied on my post recently on video quality A119 V3 vs A 129 Pro.
After a LONG read of the posts about the A 129 Pro, and viewing as much footage as i could find, im leaning towards this model
Single Front Unit only , as i dont require a rear camera
One reply suggested albeit briefly that the A119 V3 is more suited to Hot Climates than the A 129 Pro
Why is this ?

the other question, i have a Sandisk 128 GB High Endurance card
will this "wear out " faster in the A 129 Pro vs A119 v3, meaning the lifespan of the card..
Thank You.

4K cameras overheat in summer in our climate
Although when used for single channel, it seems unlikely, even in Australia, that that the A129 Pro would ever overheat and shutdown while driving, only when used for parking mode sitting in the sun in a hot car with no ventilation, and in that situation they could both overheat, A129 first, but they both have limits. When driving, the driver also has temperature limits.

Why is this ?
They do have a temperature limit, and the more powerful A129 generates more internal heat so will reach the temperature limit first.
Even if the camera didn't have a limit, the microSD card does, often a lower limit than the camera.
Seal the car up and park it in full mid-summer, mid-day sunshine, and even here in UK the air temperature at the top of the cabin can reach the temperature limit of most microSD cards.

will this "wear out " faster in the A 129 Pro vs A119 v3,
Yes, on default settings, the A129Pro writes about twice the data to the card, mainly because it has about twice the resolution, gives twice the detail, so the lifetime of the card should be about halved.

But by the time you need to replace the card, the cost of a same capacity card will likely have halved, so it is probably not worth worrying about. If you plan on recording with parking mode 24/7 then it becomes a bit more of an issue since you will need to replace the card sooner, but both cameras use a similar bitrate in parking mode, so actually there will not much difference in lifespan then, just that the cost of the new card wont have quite halved by the time you replace it.

4K cameras overheat in summer in our climate

Yep (y) Jokiin manufactures cams aimed for the Australian market and AFAIK there's nobody else with more knowledge and experience in this matter. Summers are mighty hot here in the southern US- enough to where I'd had cams stop functioning on the hottest of days- but this pales in comparison to what much of Australia sees :eek: The harder the processor works and the more data that gets written to the card, the higher the cam heat will be, and thus the sooner it will react adversely to ambient heat.

Phil

Back