Force to move/remove magnet held Camera.

I know! Someone could get into some serious mischief with one or two of those. :D

They can allegedly crush limbs or even pull right through a hand. Be careful if considering powerful ones. Some can exceed 600kgs pull. Not all powerful magnets are large btw. You can get 32mm diameter magnets with nearly 40kgs pull and 60mm magnets with 70 kgs of pull. Whether the non industrial sized ones would pull through something as thick as a hand I don't know, but if they even get 1/2 their power through it, it would be very painful having 35KG sat on your hand especially considering the small area it would be spread over.

I used some Neomydium magnets on some false panels (access panels in my kitchen). I got them from here: http://www.first4magnets.com/?gclid=CN7G1piw288CFQyNGwodFiQMbQ

Service was excellent and when 1 broke, there was 2 in the post the very next day.

A warning, neodymium are very brittle so avoid snapping them together hard. That's not how I broke mine, but it is easily done. Ferrite are tougher in that regard.

I'd personally be careful using solid magnets on glass. The usual way most people remove magnets is to lift an edge and then pull them away from the surface. However, this exerts a lot of pressure on 1 edge of the magnet alone and could possibly crack glass even with another magnet stuck onto the glass below if the pressures not spread over the an area large enough. Personally if trying to use magnets onto a glass surface, I'd use the thin adhesive flexible strip types and avoid those with high pull pressure. I can't say whether they would work straight to glass though. You can get some idea of the pull needed by weighing the camera and then adding a a few pounds more to allow for jolting forces when the car goes over bumps. Some experimentation may be necessary. Don't forget as well, if the adhesive strength is less than that of the magnet, the strip will simply pull away from the glass as the adhesive will fail 1st. That may well be the issue. Do you really want to bond something to the windscreen that it becomes no longer easily removable? As for using magnets against the head liner, I'd have thought the camera would have been too high. However if doing this, consider inserting material between the magnet and headlining as in my experience, magnets can leave a dirty marks (the nickel plated type will probably help here although they may need to be cleaned of factory residues 1st). I'd also say avoid excess strength to avoid damaging the headlining cloth when removing. My personal inclination if I wanted a DIY magnetic mount would be to get a suction cup to the windscreen and then stick a magnet onto the cup mount (you obviously need a mount with a flat surface) and bond a steel plate onto the part of the camera mount that you intend to stick to the windscreen mount. Be aware, the thickness of any plate also affects the magnetic pull and a thin steel plate will result in the magnet having less than the stated pull.

However, to my mind, if you're having a suction cup for the window, why not just use a suction cup? They're easily removable and usually cheap and all the messing around with magnets just seems a lot of hassle to achieve the same thing as a suction cup can anyway! If you really want a magnetic mount, I'd buy one - it's likely to be far less hassle than trying to find suction cups with flat surfaces and then working out how to interface with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back