Force to move/remove magnet held Camera.

Hi Jokiin, thanks for the reply. I went up to Home Depot today to pick up some 3M 5952, they only had a few on the racks and not a single package had a part # number on the package. The only identifier was a "Lb" figure and the highest was 20 lb. It seems I remember seeing 5952 had a pound figure of 30Lb so I didn't buy it. I'll check it out at 3M to be sure.
Hard to believe that as much as they want for the stuff they can't put the part # on the package instead of a Lb rating or actually both. One doesn't actually know what they are getting!

The 20# 3M VHB tape should be just fine. Keep in mind the weight of the camera which is only a fraction of the adhesion capacity of the tape.

it would actually have the opposite effect and give you micro vibration, you'll get a better picture through solid mounting and keeping video in sync with any vibration

I mentioned this same thing about vibrations about a week ago in this thread. I like the term "micro vibrations" as it describes it very well. What may appear as a solid camera mount may prove otherwise after careful analysis of the video files.

Don't know about micro vibrations but the 3M Dual-Lock didn't work out too well for mounting the Mobius in the rear for me. To my surprise that little 'play' was there, which I wasn't expecting alike normal hook & loop velcro. Gone back to 3M VHB 5952, it's rock solid.

I mentioned this same thing about vibrations about a week ago in this thread. I like the term "micro vibrations" as it describes it very well. What may appear as a solid camera mount may prove otherwise after careful analysis of the video files.

I know you talked about having a solid camera mounting system, but when I say the tape with the larger foam section I immediately thought it would maybe nullify the micro vibrations, but before buying it I at least had the sense (little that's left) to come here and ask about it before buying.
I did notice that I had a tire/two a little out of balance that I will have to fix. Normally I wouldn't have given this a second thought.

My question now is when buying the 5952 at places like the Home Depot or wherever do you just trust that if it says 30 Lb, it's 5952. At Wal Mart today there was a small roll (9feet) that said 30Lb on it but on the tape itself it said nothing, all red, not the logo 3m, I also believe it said Scotch on the mounting card but not certain, that might have been another one I was looking at.

Last edited:
Here is the 3M pages on VHB tapes, I found it very interesting:
VHB™ Tapes - 3M.com
Actually it reiterates some of the things that have been said.

@Lola, I think you've over complicated things with this tape business. All you need is a couple of inches of double sided tape that'll stick well, withstands heat and cold. That's all.
Tapes that comes to mind are tapes for mounting cars accessories.

@Lola, I agree with @Bungus about this. I believe you are kinda' overthinking this whole business with the magnets and VHB tape. Now that you basically have what you need see how it all works for you and then later if there should be an issue you can always go back and make an adjustment or try something different. I've tried several types of 3M VHB tape and although they have slightly different properties regarding adhesion and mounting strength, they all work for holding a dash cam pretty well. Usually, VHB tape is meant for holding things that are far heavier than a little camera like a Mobius. It's been more or less the same with the different neodymium magnets I've used.

BTW, VHB stands for Very High Bond in case you haven't come across that term yet in the 3M literature.

The thing with balancing your tires is really a whole other kettle of fish but you should get than done anyway. :)

@Lola, I agree with @Bungus about this. I believe you are kinda' overthinking this whole business with the magnets and VHB tape. Now that you basically have what you need see how it all works for you and then later if there should be an issue you can always go back and make an adjustment or try something different. I've tried several types of 3M VHB tape and although they have slightly different properties regarding adhesion and mounting strength, they all work for holding a dash cam pretty well. Usually, VHB tape is meant for holding things that are far heavier than a little camera like a Mobius. It's been more or less the same with the different neodymium magnets I've used.

BTW, VHB stands for Very High Bond in case you haven't come across that term yet in the 3M literature.

The thing with balancing your tires is really a whole other kettle of fish but you should get than done anyway. :)

I think you and Bungus are right! I have a habit of seeking perfection in whatever I do, even where perfection is not needed are necessary all the time. It's just the way I am! I will try to back off and not become so anal about about every little thing.
Can't guarantee it will happen all the time because lots of time I am totally into something before I see that every thing has gotten hold of me and it becomes very exciting to me.
Sorry for driving you guys nuts with all my questions.

@Lola. Your Birthday must be in a month or so, eh? :D

seeking perfection in whatever I do, even where perfection is not needed are necessary all the time.

I am so happy i don't have the same feeling all the time, but i do get quite anal about some things, and other things i cant even be bothered with.

Take my car, i should really pamper it as i have paid for 2 cars to get that one car, but i cant really be bothered with it other than the part of it going wrooom when i crank the key.
But off course if other people don't respect my car, then i have to "go medieval on their ass"

I am so happy i don't have the same feeling all the time, but i do get quite anal about some things, and other things i cant even be bothered with.

Take my car, i should really pamper it as i have paid for 2 cars to get that one car, but i cant really be bothered with it other than the part of it going wrooom when i crank the key.
But off course if other people don't respect my car, then i have to "go medieval on their ass"

Hi KamKar1, That sounds like something I would have written.

I just remembered I have some of these lying around:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00EHK287M
41BvuBuvmvL.jpg

They are meant for holding ID badges in place, but are useful for other things. I'm planning to fit 2 Mobius as side cams, and I think these will do the job nicely.

The plain metal plate has adhesive foam on the back, the magnet plate doesn't. The two magnets are opposing polarities. So you could use two of the magnet plates against each other for a really strong grip, but even when used normally (magnet plate against plain plate) the grip is very strong. It's easiest to slide or roll the attached item off rather than pull it.

To show size (plates are 1.75")
MobiusMagnet.jpg

Last edited:
I just remembered I have some of these lying around:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00EHK287M
41BvuBuvmvL.jpg

They are meant for holding ID badges in place, but are useful for other things. I'm planning to fit 2 Mobius as side cams, and I think these will do the job nicely.

The plain metal plate has adhesive foam on the back, the magnet plate doesn't. The two magnets are opposing polarities. So you could use two of the magnet plates against each other for a really strong grip, but even when used normally (magnet plate against plain plate) the grip is very strong. It's easiest to slide or roll the attached item off rather than pull it.

To show size (plates are 1.75")
View attachment 26682

They look like about 12 or 13mm diameter, what are the dimensions? K&J Magnetics calls this a case 2 application of magnets (Magnets trapped between 2 metal plates) which gives considerably stronger hold relative to magnet size.
What did you use for the foam on the plain metal one, a liquid? I can't see anything but the 2 magnets sitting on the plate (Monitor is almost shot).
It'll be really interesting to see how it works.

Last edited:
They look like about 12 or 13mm diameter, what are the dimensions? K&J Magnetics calls this a case 2 application of magnets (Magnets trapped between 2 metal plates) which gives considerably stronger hold relative to magnet size.
What did you use for the foam on the plain metal one, a liquid? I can't see anything but the 2 magnets sitting on the plate (Monitor is almost shot).
It'll be really interesting to see how it works.
The magnets are about 9mm by 2mm. They sit in slight recesses on the plate. They may be glued in (I can't actually see any glue) or perhaps fixed by applying with enormous pressure? In any case none have fallen out.

The magnet plates have nothing on the reverse, you must stick them on using a product of your choice.
The plain metal plates have double-sided sticky foam tape about 1mm thick on the back.

I use them for the intended purpose (holding an ID card.) I've also stuck a magnet plate on my van's dash using 3M VHB tape. I slap my ID on that when I don't need it, or sometimes hang keys off it.
And I've put magnet plates on some of my home's cordless phones, so I can plonk them on the fridge or a filing cabinet or whatever. (Again using VHB.)

My plans for the Mobius cameras is on hold. I thought there was a brilliant place for them, but the side mirrors would have blocked a lot of their view. :(

The magnets are about 9mm by 2mm. They sit in slight recesses on the plate. They may be glued in (I can't actually see any glue) or perhaps fixed by applying with enormous pressure? In any case none have fallen out.

The magnet plates have nothing on the reverse, you must stick them on using a product of your choice.
The plain metal plates have double-sided sticky foam tape about 1mm thick on the back.

I use them for the intended purpose (holding an ID card.) I've also stuck a magnet plate on my van's dash using 3M VHB tape. I slap my ID on that when I don't need it, or sometimes hang keys off it.
And I've put magnet plates on some of my home's cordless phones, so I can plonk them on the fridge or a filing cabinet or whatever. (Again using VHB.)

My plans for the Mobius cameras is on hold. I thought there was a brilliant place for them, but the side mirrors would have blocked a lot of their view. :(

Why the sad face :( sounds like you're having a lot of fun to me. I forgot to say thanks for telling me about those name tags, it's given me some ideas also:):D

I have quite a few magnets ordered from Banggood.com (great prices) but haven't received any of them yet, really looking forward to it though.

Last edited:
You guys better jump on this fast, it did say 45 yds, they didn't catch everything, they changed it to 15 yd.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0016HM7SE
5952, 15 yd (45 feet) BLACK, in retail heavy plastic package.

Notice, that's yd not feet.

Im thinking this will be good to keep GF in her designated place for a while :D

Back