Ford Explorer Backup Camera Conflicts with Mobius Operation

GrayGhost

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius ActionCam Standard
I just discovered that changing the settings on the Ford Explorer backup camera interrupts the power on the Mobius.

This note applies to anyone tapping the power supplied to the overhead map lights above the mirror. My Mobius was operating flawlessly until I changed the backup camera to include the option to delay turning off the backup camera for a few seconds after putting the car in the drive mode. I have no idea why this occurs but the only way I can keep the Mobius power on while driving the car is to disable the backup camera time delay.

Might save someone a bunch of angst during an install or after playing with the backup setting...

Steve

UPDATE: Thought I had a solution. I must have other problems because the problem is back. If anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate feedback. For now, I'll just keep looking.

OUCH! I could be mistaken but I believe the problem is related to firmware Ver 1.20. I replaced the current firmware with 1.17 and my problem went away. I'm clueless as to why the 2011 Ford Explorer spits out the Mobius 20 seconds after the car is placed in drive but it is consistent. The Mobius will continue to run while the car is in park or reverse but the Mobius quits after the car is placed in drive. I operated the car all day today on Ver 1.17 and camera worked fine.

Not sure where this info should be posted. Perhaps someone who knows the blog better than I can pass it along.

Steve

Last edited:
Very unusual issue you are having. Since you are tapped into the map lights perhaps the wires you got are for other items as well. I know some cars have complex displays and sensors up there as well as additional wires running to the dome lights and who knows what else. But since your issue vanishes it could be solely firmware. Just out of curiosity, are these results replicable if you use the accessory socket with a USB adapter and cable?

Interesting thought. I'll reload 1.20 and run the Mobius on the accessory plug. I did receive a note indicating the developer is aware of the bug. I connected another 5volt device to the camera power source and noticed a momentary power interruption while starting the car. That brief power interruption might be sending a signal to shut down the camera but I doubt it. The camera only shuts down after I have backed the car out of the parking stall and put it in drive.

Thanks for your interest. I'll come back to this thread when I have something to add.

Steve

Very unusual issue you are having. Since you are tapped into the map lights perhaps the wires you got are for other items as well. I know some cars have complex displays and sensors up there as well as additional wires running to the dome lights and who knows what else. But since your issue vanishes it could be solely firmware. Just out of curiosity, are these results replicable if you use the accessory socket with a USB adapter and cable?

OK, here's the deal. I loaded ver 1.20. I used the power from the cigarette lighter (5volt usb adapter) and fired up the car. The camera crapped out just the same as it had when I was hooked to the map light power source. I reloaded ver1.70 and the camera started working again. Whatever changed in 1.20 made it unusable in the Explorer. I believe the shutdown is being caused by the momentary power interrupt associated with startup. That interrupt occurs at both power sources. The interrupt does not affect Ver 1.7 so I guess I'll leave well enough alone.

Steve

there was a shutdown bug verified in version 1.20, the developer has been made aware of it already I believe

Well, there ya go. Sorry to have you do extra work just to figure it out, but at least its ruled out now. I will be keeping my camera on .17 since its been 100% reliable for me so far. No need to fix what isn't broken. And I haven't heard much benefit to the new fw anyway. Glad its known to the Dev though.

there was a shutdown bug verified in version 1.20, the developer has been made aware of it already I believe
I was aware that the developer was working on a fix. However, the version I loaded this afternoon had not been fixed. No big deal. I'll just stay with 1.7 for a while.

Back