Ford Fiesta 2006 3 Wire Hardwire - fuses and suitable ground point?

Alvie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've been meaning to get a dash cam for a while and have wanted a hardwire install (my car was bought second hand in UK and cigarette lighter is missing for some reason).

My car is a Ford Fiesta Mk6 (or Mk5 not sure) 2006. I have not yet bought my dash cam or anything related to it's installation but will do soon.

I've looked into my fuse box and diagram and I think I know which two fuses to tap. Unfortunately, I cannot test it at the moment as I do not have a light bulb thing or multimeter (although the latter is on its way).

Below are the fuses I think I can use:
IMG_20190925_000517-01.jpg
IMG_20190925_000508-01.jpg

F44 AUDIO 3A - On ignition / ACC?
F29 Cigarette Lighter - constant?

I've seen some suggestions for using rear wipers etc but overall I'm not entirely sure which to use. There's also F35 (Seat warmer) which is empty but my car doesn't have it (as far as I know) and also not too familiar on the instructions to install in an empty space.

My next question is grounding and hopefully has a fairly simple answer, can multiple things use the same ground point? And is the one circled an option that works?
IMG_20190925_000708__01.jpg

I have done some research into how to install it and at first I thought it might be above me so I considered Halfords cheap cam + fit and then upgrade later, but looking into it more it doesn't seem too bad. I was initially worried about the fuse but the instructions are straightforward after looking at diagrams, just make sure fuses are in right place and the tap itself is 'facing' the right way.

The dash cam I am looking into is the Viofo A119 V3 which has a parking mode.

looks like you have those around the wrong way, ACC fuse is normally higher amp than a B+ fuse for the radio, a 3A fuse on the radio is more likely the permanent power feed, good earth is where that black factory cable is already earthed, looks to be on the same structure as the spot you have highlighted though

looks like you have those around the wrong way, ACC fuse is normally higher amp than a B+ fuse for the radio, a 3A fuse on the radio is more likely the permanent power feed, good earth is where that black factory cable is already earthed, looks to be on the same structure as the spot you have highlighted though
Thanks for the information, I'll probably use same place as the factory cable then (if that's safe). I have a multimeter coming this or next week I believe so hopefully I can do more testing etc.

The other thing with the AUDIO is that it may also be used for diagnostics according to my handbook so I will avoid it and probably will hook it up to my rear wipers instead for ACC.

Which would be the safest to use for the permanent circuit, in your opinion.

Much appreciated by the way :)

not familiar with your vehicle as it's not a model we have here so can't give specific info, looks like it's CAN-BUS though so you should check circuits with a multimeter, make sure to check 5 minutes after key off with the doors closed also, CAN-BUS vehicles have circuits that are controlled by the vehicle computer so initial results can be confusing sometimes

Back