Forgetting Date / Time (Aukey DR02)

TrunkFullaAmps

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently got an Aukey DR02 and every day that I use my car I have to enter the date and time. This is getting annoying fast.
If I drive somewhere it will remember the date and time when I drive back home, but when I park overnight, the next morning it will have forgotten it.
I often go a day or two without driving, but even one night is long enough for it to lose the time.

Since this is my first dash cam, I'm wondering if this is normal and this camera model just sucks, or is there a problem with my camera and I should get it replaced?

Sounds like a possible bad super-capacitor. Is the camera saving the last file properly when you switch off power to the camera?

Yes, it appears to be saving them properly. I just checked the one from last night and it's all there.

Yes, it appears to be saving them properly. I just checked the one from last night and it's all there.

I would check to make sure that power is getting to the camera constantly, full time but probably the best thing to do is avail yourself of the excellent warranty that comes with the DR02 and ask for a replacement.

Thanks, I will contact them. Wow, that warranty is pretty awesome.

Hi, I installed the same camera last night and noticed the same problem - this morning I had to re-enter time settings again. I have not drove the car yet, so maybe capacitor did not get enough charge, so will try it today. I wonder if getting a GPS module will fix it?

Nah, the time resets every time I switch the cam off. Will try the gps module.

Nah, the time resets every time I switch the cam off. Will try the gps module.

the GPS will mask the problem by updating the time once it gets signal, but it won't fix the problem, the camera is faulty and needs to be replaced

if you use a GPS and don't get signal so the clock can update before the first recording segment you'll find whenever the card is full it will overwrite the same file it just created, you'll lose recordings but will also wear the card excessively doing this, best to get the camera replaced while it's new

Yes, definitely do the warranty. They sent me a new one and it's been working great.

Aukey has confirmed ebay is not an authorised seller of aukey products, so I am returning my ebay purchase and already purchased aukey from amazon. Thanks guys for the advice!

Today I have purchased another Aukey cam from Amazon and guess what....it is working fine! Time settings are saved and I do not have to re-enter them again everytime I start the engine. Many thanks everyone for their input! Don't buy on ebay trying to save £10-£20.

I recently got an Aukey DR02 and every day that I use my car I have to enter the date and time. This is getting annoying fast.
If I drive somewhere it will remember the date and time when I drive back home, but when I park overnight, the next morning it will have forgotten it.
I often go a day or two without driving, but even one night is long enough for it to lose the time.

Since this is my first dash cam, I'm wondering if this is normal and this camera model just sucks, or is there a problem with my camera and I should get it replaced?
I had the same issue. Cracked the unit open looking for a coin type battery that I could replace and found the battery is soldered to the board! After some extensive research I found a good replacement part (Panasonic ML-621S/DN), ordered 2 from mouser electronics. De-soldered the old one, and soldered in the new one, and I'm up and running again. It wasn't terribly easy though, definitely need some steady hands to fix. Product is unfortunately designed to fail. These rechargeable batteries are good for a few years then you'll need to replace again. At least I'm not out another $150 and rewiring in my truck to install a new one.

IMG_6101.jpg

I had the same issue. Cracked the unit open looking for a coin type battery that I could replace and found the battery is soldered to the board! After some extensive research I found a good replacement part (Panasonic ML-621S/DN), ordered 2 from mouser electronics. De-soldered the old one, and soldered in the new one, and I'm up and running again. It wasn't terribly easy though, definitely need some steady hands to fix. Product is unfortunately designed to fail. These rechargeable batteries are good for a few years then you'll need to replace again. At least I'm not out another $150 and rewiring in my truck to install a new one.

View attachment 54404
Thank you very much for your post and perfect picture. I have the same issues with my Aukey DR02. When I opened up the camera the two plastic parts and spring popped out. Luckily, your picture shows both the battery and how the plastic pieces and spring are connected. Great referral for Mouser. I ordered a couple batteries too.

You're welcome. Glad to help. Just an FYI, my plastic parts and spring flew out too when I opened it, so the picture I provided is actually my best guess as to how to put them back together :). It seems to work, though I did decide to stretch the spring a bit because the rotating camera portion seemed too loose to me when I initially put it back together. Good luck soldering the new battery in there. Make sure you have a solder sucker in case you end up soldering the pins together.

You're welcome. Glad to help. Just an FYI, my plastic parts and spring flew out too when I opened it, so the picture I provided is actually my best guess as to how to put them back together :). It seems to work, though I did decide to stretch the spring a bit because the rotating camera portion seemed too loose to me when I initially put it back together. Good luck soldering the new battery in there. Make sure you have a solder sucker in case you end up soldering the pins together.
Thanks, your post also helped me. Looking at the datasheet for the battery it seems like it didn't have a whole lot of charge cycles like I thought I read 100, which seems low. anyway I decided to solder a red and green wire from the pcb pads and run them to the outside of my dashcam so when I need to replace the battery next time I can do it easier. Just a little double stick tape to hold it in place.

View attachment 54404
Thanks for the image and info. I have the same problem with date resetting on startup. Took my dashcam apart but not sure on where to desolder/solder. Did you desolder the rectangle bracket on top of the battery and resolder it to the new battery? Or did you desolder the ends (at the arrows), reattach bracket to new battery and resolder the ends? I guess I'm unsure of how the battery is attached to the board

Thanks a lot for the tip, I replaced the battery with a much larger ML2032 (rechargeable lithium), with a capacity of 65mAh instead of the stock ML621 5mAh. It should last a lot longer, hopefully!

I soldered a couple wires directly on the battery (not the best course of action, but hey...), heatshrunk it, and soldered the wires on the pads. The b

View attachment 54404

attery fits nicely in the depicted position, right behind the camera assembly, which still pivots easily.
Great tip warning about the springs, I carefull kept it from jumping out!

Reactions: why
Back