Formatting of microSD card

lancer6238

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi all, I have what is probably a very simple question, that is, will formatting the microSD card (by pressing the "format" button on the camera) delete everything, e.g. firmware, speedcam data, settings, etc, or just the recorded video files? Also, how long does it take to format a 32GB card and will the camera say when the formatting is completed?

I've never had to format the SD card in my last (Itronics) camera. My Thinkware installer advised me to format once every 2 weeks/1 month, and it's pretty irritating to hear the camera reminder every time I start up the car. So I'm wondering what is the benefit to formatting the microSD card that regularly? Are there really that many dump files created?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes it deletes the data and yes the message will keep returning until you format the card. I have had my F750 for about a month and have had to format the card twice.
I'm not sure what the benefit is other than not having the message!

Yes it deletes the data and yes the message will keep returning until you format the card. I have had my F750 for about a month and have had to format the card twice.
I'm not sure what the benefit is other than not having the message!

the nag message would be preventative maintenance, they get you to format on a regular basis rather than having it trip up at some stage because people never format otherwise

once you press and hold the format button it literally takes 1 second to format.
it says " formatting the sd card" then straight away it says " format complete"

this is for a 64gb card.

Hey Joker........ Would a different format in windows and then a format in the camera give different FAT and what is default ?

Gotcha...... Regardless of card/size....... Within reason ?

the camera would overwrite anything done in computer

So if i do the latest update for firm ware and speed cameras and a day or so later it asks me to format sd card surely it dosen't delete the updates iv'e done as well ?

No. When the camera first sees the firmware update on the SD card it performs the update which stays in its non-volatile memory. It no longer needs the files on the SD card so the fact that they are 'deleted' at the next format is irrelevant.

No. When the camera first sees the firmware update on the SD card it performs the update which stays in its non-volatile memory. It no longer needs the files on the SD card so the fact that they are 'deleted' at the next format is irrelevant.

Thank you for that .The reason i asked is i have just done a firmware /speed camera update and when i looked on the camera firm ware it hasn't appeared to of uploaded .or will this show correct if i turn camera off and on again .Like a reboot ?

So are you saying that in the camera info section of the PC or mobile app it doesn't show "1.00.15"?

So are you saying that in the camera info section of the PC or mobile app it doesn't show "1.00.15"?

Yes that would appear to be the case .on my phone app it says
V1.00.06 . The same as when I bought it .

I can't remember exactly what happened in my case but I don't remember having any problems - I just downloaded the files, put them on the card and the camera updated as soon as I powered it on. You should format your card, add the files and try again. If it still fails then I suggest you return the unit as faulty.

I can't remember exactly what happened in my case but I don't remember having any problems - I just downloaded the files, put them on the card and the camera updated as soon as I powered it on. You should format your card, add the files and try again. If it still fails then I suggest you return the unit as faulty.

From reading your reply the only thing I didn't do when I puting the sd card back in the camera was to format it ! Could this be the problem ?. I'm off work now for a few days so I'll have a play to see what is going on .

1- put sdcard into the cam. Hit format.
2- take out sdcard
3- put sdcard into comp and put in update files.
4- put sdcard back into the cam and power up.
5- wait for update to complete

1- put sdcard into the cam. Hit format.
2- take out sdcard
3- put sdcard into comp and put in update files.
4- put sdcard back into the cam and power up.
5- wait for update to complete

Thanks I'll give it ago . Just one thing you say at stage 5 wait for update to complete ? Is there an ordable noise or voice to tell you it's done .

Back