Fort Knox on wheels in Toronto, Canada

Devil

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

New member here. Last summer here in Toronto, someone keyed my vehicle lightly. I noticed it, and thankfully was able to get it down to 5% visibility (you really gotta look to find it now). Didn't report it to insurance.

But now it's going to be summer again, and I want to be protected. I don't want the dash cam as much for driving situations than for parking mode but I guess that's a bonus.

I say Fort Knox because while I can see in real time what's happening around my house, it's all recording constantly for 30 days. So I can always go back to a specific day if I want to catch something between the "motion points" (or marks of time when there was motion). I know this isn't really possible on a car, unless dead batteries is my thing.

But I say that because I feel keying can probably be done lightly, and there's a chance the dashcams won't pick it up and record it. That's what I think. But what do I know? I'm no guru like you guys. Would it?

So I was reading an article where it said:

After trying out dozens of dash cams and other devices that are not equipped to notify you when your car or truck is vandalized we found one solution that works for all of our customers who’ve asked a number of questions:
  1. Do the cameras work when the car is parked and the engine is off?
  2. Can I see all around my car with the cameras?
  3. Am I able to view my cameras from my mobile phone?
  4. Can I view the cameras without paying a monthly fee to view my cameras remotely?
  5. Will the camera system notify me when someone is vandalizing my car?
  6. Can I view the cameras live from my mobile phone when I’m notified of a possible vandal?
  7. Am I able to backup video on my mobile phone and send it to someone else quickly?
  8. Do the cameras have night vision?
  9. Are the cameras safe from hackers?
And this is all exactly what I want, especially #2 and #3. I'd love to see the front, the back, and the inside (so it kind of gives the 360 view for that special case of not having the recording cuz the keying was done lightly)

The only problem is:
  1. I don't know if I can do what I want with the 2 cameras for the 360 view.
  2. I don't know the brand they recommend.
  3. I don't know an installer who can install a recommended brand that checks all marks above, and does it in a very inconspicuous way (hate all the show of wiring etc). Doing it right is also important so my lease dealer doesn't need to get upset.

This is why I thought I'd come here, and ask for some advice on what model you guys think I should purchase, and if possible, even recommend a local Toronto installer who would do it the right way without warranty voiding lol

Thanks for reading!

they are using Blackvue cameras, the bit they don't point out in the video is that sometimes they have the cameras facing in, sometimes facing out, one set of cameras does not offer the view they are promoting all at the same time which is rather deceptive to those that are not familiar

I would just go for a vhecile they can hit all they want with their doors / cars / trucks and anything smaller then .50 cal

Buy a main battle tank if you want Fort Knox on wheels (tracks to be precise).

I see a lease mentioned. I think it good to remember that a dashcam or any security camera only records evidence during and after the fact, and that your real protection is having insurance to cover unpreventable damages. Dashcams mainly help you prove lack of fault in a crash or give evidence of malicious damage so that insurers and Law Enforcement can take up the matter for you. Which still may not end with you being compensated for damages. Devaluation for damage on leased vehicles can be tricky and it may not be worth adding excessive insurance coverage for on lower-end models, but it is usually worthwhile on high-end leases.

In bad areas your best approach is something like kamkar1 suggested; have something that is neither vulnerable or valuable so that potential losses are negligible. Where I do most of my driving there's a very high chance of small damage, so even if I could afford it I wouldn't have a new or leased car because it wouldn't remain damage-free for long :( When in Rome....

Phil

they are using Blackvue cameras, the bit they don't point out in the video is that sometimes they have the cameras facing in, sometimes facing out, one set of cameras does not offer the view they are promoting all at the same time which is rather deceptive to those that are not familiar

Ahhhh, gotcha! So they're installing both the forward/rear cameras on the front windshield? And pointing one out the front, and the other back in the vehicle? You're right - totally deceptive. I had no clue, I kept assuming it's 3 cameras!

I see a lease mentioned. I think it good to remember that a dashcam or any security camera only records evidence during and after the fact, and that your real protection is having insurance to cover unpreventable damages. Dashcams mainly help you prove lack of fault in a crash or give evidence of malicious damage so that insurers and Law Enforcement can take up the matter for you. Which still may not end with you being compensated for damages. Devaluation for damage on leased vehicles can be tricky and it may not be worth adding excessive insurance coverage for on lower-end models, but it is usually worthwhile on high-end leases.

In bad areas your best approach is something like kamkar1 suggested; have something that is neither vulnerable or valuable so that potential losses are negligible. Where I do most of my driving there's a very high chance of small damage, so even if I could afford it I wouldn't have a new or leased car because it wouldn't remain damage-free for long :( When in Rome....

Phil

I agree with everything you said. My usage of a dashcam would be to catch would-be perpetrators (if it were to happen) even though I'm in a good area. But what I meant to know by disclosing the lease fact is that "Is it frowned upon by dealers if I get a dashcam installed in an inconspicuous manner which might require removal of some roof protection to tuck the wires in, etc?"

I can't know the legal specifics here, but I'd say that if no damage is done and noted, then there's nothing to be concerned with. If damage is noted then you as the leasee, would most likely be responsible for that.

My advice: Choose your installer wisely, and leave no trace of the activity when you turn the car in.

Phil

Ahhhh, gotcha! So they're installing both the forward/rear cameras on the front windshield? And pointing one out the front, and the other back in the vehicle? You're right - totally deceptive. I had no clue, I kept assuming it's 3 cameras!
I think it is worse than that, to get the 360 they have the one on the windshield facing backwards and the one on the rear window facing forwards! You are not going to read any licence plates that way, but you do get the front and back of your head in good detail!

I think it is worse than that, to get the 360 they have the one on the windshield facing backwards and the one on the rear window facing forwards! You are not going to read any licence plates that way, but you do get the front and back of your head in good detail!

even worse, go through the sample video and you'll find at times that they have it recording as you would normally out the front and back, at other times the front is facing back and the rear is facing forward, would require 4 cameras to do what they're doing, wonder how many people get sucked in by their presentation

Wow, that's just crazy! I'm in white-hat marketing, so I'm impressed and disgusted at the same time with their "marketing".
Sorry for the super late reply, just got home from a crazy trip.

Anyway, bottomline it seems is to go for BlackVue cameras that can look front and back. So does that mean they can pick up light keying activity, or a backpack slightly rubbing against the sides, etc? I ask because light activity might not cause the car to move and therefore triggering the parking mode recording?

Don't kill your car battery, vandalism, theft from car, hit and run on private property not investigated by Toronto police even if you have licence plate of another vehicle.

May be they will investigate theft or vandalism if you identify your neighbor. If no, they even will not watch your movies.

They only wrote reports

Really,,,,,,, thats just sad.
But it is pretty much the same here, and the guy i turned in with video dashcam evidence, braking so many laws in 30 seconds they could just go collect his license, well i am pretty sure they have not done that, but they did take my evidence when i got media ( TV ) involved in the case, but this was after over a month of nothing happening.
Denmark are in the middle of a severe cop shortage, at least 50% less police on the streets compared to what it was a few years ago before large numbers went on pension or left the police force in other ways.
Danish politicians should be ashamed of them self,,,,,,,,,, and thats me putting it extremely lightly.

Back