Forum

Airborne

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129
Forum is very quiet today. Being retired is a good thing and probably most members are still working

I noticed that too, just visited my old mother for a short time, then back home to get my poor leg up.
Still annoy the hell out of me and i really dont want to do much.
I sure do hope it is cured before i have promised to do dog and house sitting for a friend around SEP 1, would really hate to let him down, though as is now that will not happen, but if it dont get better after i have been eating penicillin pills for 20 days, i think i might have to go to the hospital and have the stuff directly in a vein.

So Airborne ? Screaming Eagles or the All American, 101 and 82nd being the only ones that come to mind for this somewhat aging Dane. and divisions i know are still operative
Probably a few more divisions, this guy wasent even allowed to serve his country though in the early / mid 80ties when it was my turn ( 18 yo ) most got to spend a year in service, but i was dropped like i was hot.

Just been watching DOKUS on NAM and Watergate,,,,,, the mid / late 60ties was in some ways a bad period for our American friends.

Last edited:
101st Airborne, and America did not learn its lesson. Still at war all the time it seems. I was in Vietnam 1969, 50 years ago and I still think and dream of it everyday. Fell better

Just been watching DOKUS on NAM and Watergate,,,,,, the mid / late 60ties was in some ways a bad period for our American friends.

Hey man, aside from all the bad sh*t, the late 60's brought us the Summer of Love and Woodstock (50 years ago this month!) Everything was GROOVY! :joyful:

It was a time with many things changing- some for the better and some for the worse. I see it as the year my Dad was away at DaNang which was the last year of his AF career. My half-brother had already bought the farm there the year before and my brother was worried about it because he would be due to go soon. Racism was still rampant in the southern US and I was beginning to question it. My school had steam heat which frequently broke down so we had to wear our coats in class suffering through some just-above-freezing weather and the non-air conditioned heat of summer. The local rock radio station played the big Motown hits too, and there was a lot of good music to be listened to. We had the only color TV on the block so we often had the neighborhood kids over early evenings to watch with us- it was amazing compared to the B+W TV we'd had before. I was a mere lad of 10 but I do remember 1969 :cool:

I remember 1969 too! That was the year we first landed a man on the Moon.

And John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, as was his brother Robert F. Kennedy in 1968. Martin Luther King was assassinated in 1968 too!.

And we had the Hippies and Woodstock and the violent police riot against protestors outside the Democratic Convention, also in 1968.

Oh, and the war in Vietnam......

The 60's was a hell of a decade for the 'ole USA.

The decade makes me think of the famous Charles Dickens quote: "“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

Last edited:
Woodstock
Woodstock is a nice place, well the original UK version is:
palace-aerial-2019.0acd4345813056ce33c590d889c8d9b9.jpg

Woodstock is a nice place, well the original UK version is:

Woodstock NY happens to be a rather beautiful place. FYI, the "Woodstock Music & Art Festival" was actually held in (the also beautiful) township of Bethel, NY, near White Lake.

Someone quite as provincial as you may not realize it but thanks to English settlers there are many hundreds (possibly thousands) of towns, townships, districts, cities and even states in the USA named after places in Britain, especially in the northeast (but elsewhere as well). There are at least ten places named Woodstock that I am aware of and probably more.

Here in "New England" where I live the vast majority of towns and cities have names that correlate with towns and cities in the UK. We have a Woodstock here as well, the shire town of Windsor County Vermont.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locations_in_the_United_States_with_an_English_name

Last edited:
Yes but we Danes have festivals, thats just about as old as woodstock, and they still go on every year.

The festival in Skanderborg have its 40 year anniversary this year.
594711_1200_0_0_86_4256_2660_2.jpg

But the king are Roskilde festival that was started in 1971, and i think among musicians at least are one of the must play venues for open air.
Roskilde now deploy several stages beside the big one, so chance are you can get your party on whatever mood you are in.

2018_roskilde_1.jpg

campgrounds. ( only some of it i think )
800px_COLOURBOX14878967.jpg

Other things could be Copenhagen Jazz festival, or the newer Copenhell festival if you are into Heavy metal

Last edited:
You know they say you cannot go back and that is so true. I remember the days my parents would send me to the Catskills Mts. with my Grand parents. They did this to keep me out of trouble in the Bronx, N.Y.
Well a few years ago I made the trip up to the Catskills and as I looked around I said to myself, what in the hell did I enjoy being here for all my summers. Seeing it with adult eyes changed my entire perspective.
Nothing but woods, creeks to catch frogs, keeping the ground hogs out of my Grandfathers garden etc. etc.
As I grew older I started to work at a dairy farm, help milking, bringing in the hay.
Well I figured it out why I liked it there so much, it was called “Freedom”. Something I did not have in the Bronx. I was not allowed to cross the street in the Bronx. Very strict parents with a family of 6.
So you can take a look but it is just not same looking through adult eyes and mind when you try to go back.

I value my take on freedom too, so much so that love ended my criminal career, cuz really if you put me in a cell i can see nothing else but die.
But more problematic it give me a problem being a Dane as Danish society embrace its members to a degree i feel my freedom are violated, this is probably also why i always feel better when i am outside Denmark.
Sadly all of my stupid mistakes when i was younger mean that i am still here, and now i cant really go anywhere unless i win a little money in some way, dont have to be much i dont expect to live for that much longer as i embraced live strong die young in the old days.

ATM some idiots drive around shooting holes in god know what with a air rifle, so now i fear airrifles will all together be banned, as some years ago some kids shot at people with a airrifle and as a result of that all but the .177 caliber was banned.
And carrying a knife got banned, just cuz some idiots used a knife to kill / wound someone, by that argument everything but breathing should be banned, i firmly support that its not the knife thats the problem, it is the person using it wrong.
I could also pick up a stone and bash someones brain in, so that should ban stones,,,,,, of course not in that case its me thats the problem not the stone, same go with a knife or a gun if you ask me.
I have carried a knife all my life, never had a problem, not even that day when i dident carry and i was jumped by some ( Turks i think ) where 2 had a knife, but those idiots honed in on the wrong guy that day :devilish:
Okay i had to give myself a couple of stitches, but not more than those 2 guys needed i am sure,,,,,, this was on main shopping street in town in daytime,,,,, some people applauded as i walked on.

When i was a teen i studied hand 2 hand and knife combat with a few like minded people, i had to be fast and know stuff as i was a long skinny person hanging out with long big people some times weighing in at 2X what i was, so when you dont have muscle you have to rely on skill and knowledge.
And exhibiting psycho behavior dident hurt in that messed up circle of people i wasted my time with back then.

The opening a automatic knife with the point closest to the eyeball sport, guess who came up with that,,, and won :rolleyes: ( without scratching the eyeball )
But as it was a side opening knife one of the guys did cut his nose as the blade swung by as he aimed at the wrong eye in relation to the blade flipping out :D

Last edited:
It is sad you can not own a knife or gun. I agree with you, if someone wants to shoot people they will find a gun to do so.
I am guessing the first thing they will do here in the states if a civil war breaks out is remove the ammo from the shelf’s. I have reloading equipment here in my home. So I am not concerned. But yes the criminals will have the guns. How about a bow, are you allowed those?

I can own knifes, have several, but folding knifes you carry can not be opened one handed and must not have a lock, and it cant be much longer than a tooth pick, automatics are of course out of the question.
you can carry a longer knife if:
1: you are going fishing or hunting or camping.
But i think it will be a bad idea to strap on my large Bowie knife open carry, and then leave home and say stop to buy something for the grill or gasoline on the way.
So normally i carry my larger knifes under the arm, though some are almost too big for that ( and i am no little guy )

Yes if you are 18 you can buy a bow, even a powerful compound one,,,,, crossbows are a big NO - NO, when i was a kid you could even buy a shotgun if you was 18, dident even need to have a hunting license.
I can not have a baseball bat in my car, so i have a tree branch the same size as a baseball bat, so far thats not illegal.

All my folding knifes aside for the swiss army knife are illegal, mostly due to them having a lock and 1 hand open, and most are 90 Cm blade i even have a automatic too, but ATM its assigned to apple peeling duty.

Funny thing as violence continue to go up in Denmark, it also seem like more and more Danes are interested in hunting and get hunting licenses that allow then to buy shotguns and rifles ( bolt action of course no automatic or high cap magazines here )
In case of zombie apocalypse i will be good too, have some "stuff" in long time storage from my young days where i was very naughty, so if i can get there in time i will be good for a while.
But that "stuff" will send me to jail for about a decade i think if the wrong people find out, but its fairly safe its not a place in any way related to me or people i know or places i drive, haven't checked up on that stash in 10 years.

PS: a few days ago someone tried to blow up a tax office here in out capitol, but so far no news on what was used, but made a big old BOOOM and took out a lot of glass in the area.
23048900-skat.jpg

Last edited:
I would feel naked without my pistol. Right along side my chair I have my 357 at the ready in case of a home intrusion.
My therapist at the VA asked me how many home invasion I went through. I told him none but I swear every other day I hear of them on the news. I am over vigilant but I have been like this since I am home from Nam. I do not look for trouble but if confronted I would not back down from it . I do not drink or take drugs and I am a homebody. I just enjoy being at home. How did this all start in your country by not allowing guns and knifes? Just curious.

My therapist at the VA asked me how many home invasion I went through. I told him none but I swear every other day I hear of them on the news.
On the UK news at the moment, our press are a bit short of stories, so we seem to get news of yet another "mass shooting" in the USA every day, apparently you have more than one a day. The UK press like your mass murders because here we haven't had one since last century when we banned the weapons that carry out the mass murders! Of course we also get the news of Trump saying that it is not the guns that do the murdering, but since we haven't had any since we destroyed the guns, it seems pretty well proven that it is the guns that do the killing, even though they do not someone to give the order.

I have always been a sucked for the Colt Python, also like a few of the Rugers,,,,,,, bit of a sucker for revolvers.
My favorite pistol that i did try was a Colt M 1911, but had to pass that on as 45 ACP was next to impossible to get your hands on the Danish black market, 9 mm much more easy.

I think you have to go very long back before Danes had the option to have a weapon for personal defense, but for hunting you dont have to go that far back as i said in the 80ties when i was a teen you just had to be 18 to get a shotgun, but nowadays you need to have a hunting license to buy a weapon, but then you can buy all the shotguns and rifles you want, hell even a .700 nitro express if you are going T-rex hunting.
Buck shots and slugs are not allowed only bird shot as far as i know. i have once taken down a telephone pole sized tree with slugs in a shotgun, took more shots than i expected, just like when mythbusters tried to cut down a tree with a gun, and ended up with the M134

you can also get a pistol here, but you have to be a long long time member of a gun club for that to happen, but then you can take your gun and also ammo home.
I can not take my legal airrifle and go shoot it in a gun club, but i can sign up to the same club then buy a gun just like the one i have and then i can shoot it there :rolleyes: i have no idea, when i was told WTF hit me so hard i lost speech.

ATM due to mass of police going on pension Denmark only have about 50% of the police we use to have, so it is pretty much a free for all here now, and people know that not only in Denmark.

I think you have to go very long back before Danes had the option to have a weapon for personal defense, but for hunting you dont have to go that far back as i said in the 80ties when i was a teen you just had to be 18 to get a shotgun,
You are stricter than UK, no minimum age here for a shotgun license!
And it is legal to use them for personal defense.

Cool video, 50 cal takes them down. This video reminds me when “Puff” would come in for reinforcement. I was with the 1st Infantry Div. and I was assigned to a mechanized division.Each track had A 50 mounted. The only thing we feared were RPGs.
Then I was with the 101 Airborne and had to hump. Was in on the Cambodia invasion also. So this video took me back, certain triggers, smells etc. I am back there. You would think 50 years later I would get over it, My wife tells me it was 50 years ago get over it, it just does not work that way

My Grandfather or my real fathers side was in the guards that watch over the royal family here, he had 3 nice old rifles, one was the M1 Garand and i think one of the others was a Krag Jorgensen M1889 as it was called here.
I spent many a hour pretending to be a sniper with those 3 rifles ( this was back before i was 15 YO ) i never saw any ammo or any of the rifles fired, but they worked and i was banned for ****ing them.
I had a few H&K G3 as you would know them by, here they was called the M75 and was the weapon of the Danish national guard and also army at a time, they replaced the M1, so quite a few of those going around.
Also the 7.62 X 51 NATO ammo was also plentiful.

The M134 above are also just 7.62 NATO, dont think it came in a harder hitting version,,,,,,, in .50 ill like to get my hands on the classic Ma Duce if i get to the US and can afford to visit all the shooting ranges i would like.

Yes but we Danes have festivals, thats just about as old as woodstock, and they still go on every year.
Yes, I've also wondered why it is so famous when it only happened once, our music festivals are generally annual events too.

Glastonbury, home of the hippies and mud, has been going since the 1970s, images from last month:

an-aerial-view-of-the-pyramid-stage-and-backstage-area-at-the-site-picture-id117484833

glastonbury_0.jpg

Back