Forward collision avoidance - best current dashcam

Brad12

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Which is the best dashcam available currently to alert for Forward Collision Avoidance or are they rubbish in detecting and alerting real life situations? Thx.

Cheap 70mai dashcams (I owned 70mai Pro) have ADAS alerts, good enough in my opinion, but I don't know how much they would satisfy you. Also the driving style matters, because a calm style couldn't be compared with an agressive one. ;)

Cheap 70mai dashcams (I owned 70mai Pro) have ADAS alerts, good enough in my opinion, but I don't know how much they would satisfy you. Also the driving style matters, because a calm style couldn't be compared with an agressive one. ;)
Good to know.
The main use for me will be in the heavy traffic situation where people are chopping and changing lanes and sometimes it requires me to slam the brakes on if my concentration has lapsed a bit. Having an alert in this kind of situation might just prevent a small rear end accident.
Would the 70mai be of some use in this scenario?

If you understand that you don't drive a driverless car, maybe it could help you to some extent. I mean, you should understand its limits.

Which is the best dashcam available currently to alert for Forward Collision Avoidance or are they rubbish in detecting and alerting real life situations? Thx.

ADAS as implemented in dash cams tends to be highly unreliable and more trouble than it is worth. It has a tendency to periodically fail to perform at all or to false trigger. Most DCT members (including me) who buy a dash cam that comes with ADAS end up turning it off after a period of experimentation. I found it to be more of an annoying distraction than a safety feature. The problem is that an inexpensive ADAS feature built into a little dash cam chipset can never perform like a far more expensive and sophisticated sensor system built into a modern vehicle.

ADAS in dash cams is really more of a novelty and marketing feature than anything else.

Forget about ADAS because are useless and buy a camera based on image quality and reliability. People which are declaring that ADAS is good on a dashcam they never had a car with ADAS and they think that a beeping device can help your driving.

Of the few cams I've tried with ADAS not one of them worked reliably even under perfect conditions, and if it's not reliable then it's worthless :cautious: This seems to be what everyone else experiences too.

For ADAS to work well takes more sensors and more computing power than dashcams have, and that will remain so for the foreseeable future. If you want ADAS features then buy a car with them factory installed- those can work well ;)

Phil

<<< If you want ADAS features then buy a car with them factory installed- those can work well>>>
I bought, what I thought, was a car just like that in October 2020. Hyundai Venue. The FCA is useless, even though they trumpeted it as wonderful. I should have done more than watch the advertisements. Anyway, thx for the opinions. Much appreciated.

<<< If you want ADAS features then buy a car with them factory installed- those can work well>>>
I bought, what I thought, was a car just like that in October 2020. Hyundai Venue. The FCA is useless, even though they trumpeted it as wonderful. I should have done more than watch the advertisements. Anyway, thx for the opinions. Much appreciated.
the OEM integrated systems far exceed the performance of any aftermarket system, if the Hyundai one is not doing it for you then any system built into a camera is going to be a massive disappointment

I said the factory systems can work well, and they can. But maybe Hyundai's doesn't. The ones in dashcams certainly don't- at least not reliably enough to be used for their purpose by any sane careful and driver. It simply takes more than dashcams can do so there's no point in bothering with it save to see how badly dashcam ADAS does in the real world before you turn the ADAS off in disgust :mad:

Phil

I have had a few cars with this is, and to be honest its more of a problem, car bleeping at me, when it thinks its going to crash, stupid auto braking, so many bings and bongs hate it.

your better off without it. Now I have gone Hybrid, after poulting the word for the last 4 years, now I have even more bings and bongs.

I have had a few cars with this is, and to be honest its more of a problem, car bleeping at me, when it thinks its going to crash, stupid auto braking, so many bings and bongs hate it.

"Everything beeps now" - George Carlin

I am barely able to deal with ABS, if i won the lotto big time, most if not all the cars i would get would be from before that stuff was invented.

I am in favor of. Aircon - heated seats - heated steering wheel and maybe heated windscreen, but all the other stuff they can keep even simple things like electric windows i can be without.
I am pretty sure i would feel uncomfortable driving a Tesla car.

I do also think it is fine they research and perfect the other stuff, so it is ready for when cars can drive them self, but until then i want nothing of it.

There are so many satellites in low earth orbit now along with various kinds of space debris that the potential for collisions is becoming a real concern. It doesn't seem surprising that NASA would be developing a technology to deal with the issue.

ESA spacecraft dodges potential collision with Starlink satellite

A rocket booster and a dead satellite avoided a collision Thursday, illustrating the ‘ticking time bomb’ of space debris

Two defunct satellites narrowly miss collision: officials (Update)

At least the starlink satellites should be able to bury them self at EOL by means of intentional crash and burn, so they do not worry me that much, it is more all the junk up there that just zip around.
Of course if a starlink satellite already have been hit by something and turned into its own expanding debris trail, then it is not going to EOL as planned.

TBH i am amazed that it is still okay to leave rocket stages up there, at least put a small solid fuel rocket on it that can send it back down to burn.

I think they have also moved the whole ISS a few times.

I am barely able to deal with ABS, if i won the lotto big time, most if not all the cars i would get would be from before that stuff was invented.

I am in favor of. Aircon - heated seats - heated steering wheel and maybe heated windscreen, but all the other stuff they can keep even simple things like electric windows i can be without.
I am pretty sure i would feel uncomfortable driving a Tesla car.

I do also think it is fine they research and perfect the other stuff, so it is ready for when cars can drive them self, but until then i want nothing of it.
My wife drives a 2021 Toyota Yaris and the radar based auto break seems to work pretty well. I also like the feature that recognize signs and displays the speed limit.
Untill 4 years ago i drove a 1986 Mazda 323 with no abs or servosteering. I have no doubt that abs and esp are important safety features.

Back