Found a 1080p Cam with separate recorder

rhaynes

Reaction score
I saw in several posts were people like me were looking for a separate HD cam / recorder solution. I ran across this product and wanted to share it. This is the first place I found it so it might not be the best price but it's very reasonable if it works well. It appears to have all the features people mention wanting but would need an external voltage regulator. I'm thinking about ordering one and giving a try. Does anyone have any experience with this setup?

1080p cam with seperate recorder

Ray

1. I think you should think to V3:
2. Try to read from here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 5&page=253
3. You should think if not only the camera is big almost like "the smallest HD 720p camera" presented by DashCamMan here.
4. If you are thinking also to some wireless transmitting from your car this is great.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like the type of cam I am after, It’s high res and small so it can be hidden well. It doesn’t look straight forward to install and it may be hard to find someone to do it. It’s funny that a cam designed for model planes is better than ones designed for a car.
I wonder how long it would record for on a SD card?
Also you would need to make it start recording when the power is given to it (when the engine is turned on) and also record when parked.
It may need things done to it before you install it.

I likes it!

Interesting how they're flying this thing around an airport flight path...

It comes with camera, cables, and vreg, but not dvr. Wonder what dvr they're using?

Also I notice it's a bright sunny day! And shadow detail is not good (thus dynamic range). Doubt it would fare well at night.

Hi rhaynes,

Thanks for sharing this cam. Looks like it is quite interesting. The thread from RC Groups that Mtz linked to has a lot of info. It appears buying directly from Foxtech is the cheapest and they have the V3 version available.

Positives:
Small and Light
Separate Camera unit (only 20 cm of cable length - perhaps it can be extended?)
Claims to have auto-start (not sure about cycle recording)

Negatives:
This is not plug and play. More of a Do-it-yourself project
Complaints of video quality (grainy image, lines over the image for the newest V3 model on RC Groups)

One thing to note about these RC cameras, they are mainly used on nice days since that is when they go out flying their models. So it is difficult to see how they perform in poor lighting conditions or when it is dark. Also these cameras don't sit behind a windshield so don't suffer from glare / dirty windshield issues.

I would be interested in seeing how this performs as a dash cam. My guess is the night quality will be the biggest drawback.

I ordered a V3. I'm looking to see if I can extend the camera cable and add a connector otherswise I don't see it as too useful. It is more of a do it yourself setup but it might offer some advantages. I'll give this unit a good test and report back here.

Ray

Great Ray. Thanks for sharing this cam and I am looking forward to the review. Could be what many people are looking for.

Back