Found a way to upgrade and downgrade FW over WiFi

afeudale

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Been playing around/hacking my new DR650GW-1CH and noticed that I could upgrade to v2 firmware over WiFi (FOTA) using the Blackvue Cloud app (Android), but there was no way to downgrade over WiFi to v1.

Here are the basics, if anyone wants more details, just let me know:

1) Download the v1.003 and v2.002 firmware files from Blackvue's website
2) Extract the contents of each to separate folders on your computer
3) Download and install 7-zip
4) Use 7-zip to TAR the contents of the "System" folder from each FW extraction
5) Name the tar file "tmp" (without quotes)
6) Use 7-zip again to GZIP the two tmp files you created
7) Name these files tmp1.zip and tmp2.zip (for version 1 and version 2)
8) Copy these files to your Android phone
9) Install Root Explorer on your Android Phone and ensure you have root access
10) Install the Blackvue Cloud app
11) Use Root Explorer to copy the zip file for whichever firmware you want to the folder /data/data/comb/blackvuec/files/
12) Rename it to tmp.zip
13) Open the Blackvue Cloud app and connect to your Dashcam
14) Go to camera settings and Firmware Upgrade
15) Initiate the upgrade and let the device reboot

To switch between the firmware versions, repeat from Step 11 - copying and renaming either the tmp1.zip or tmp2.zip depending on which version you want to switch to.

You can now switch between FW versions without removing the SD card or removing the camera from your car :)

Last edited:
I don't see where I would want to do that very often.. but thanks for showing us :). What I would like.. is some way to access the "files" on the Blackvue and be able to download them to my computer (PC) without having to remove the SD card..using my LAN instead .. bypassing the silly cloud and a smart phone

I don't see where I would want to do that very often.. but thanks for showing us :). What I would like.. is some way to access the "files" on the Blackvue and be able to download them to my computer (PC) without having to remove the SD card..using my LAN instead .. bypassing the silly cloud and a smart phone

Yeah, probably won't use it often, but I like the v1 firmware most of the time and will use the v2 when I travel (for cloud access), so I'll switch occasionally and won't need to pull the sdcard.

There is a way to download them to your PC - have you seen this site? https://gadgetblogist.wordpress.com

Basically, connect your computer to the WiFi of the Blackvue, then set a static IP on your computer, for v1 firmware in the 192.168.8.x range, for v2 firmware in the 10.99.77.x range.

If use a browser to go to 192.168.8.1/blackvue_vod.cgi you will get a list of the recorded files.

Then use wget to pull them to local computer.

Thanks for sharing the link to gadgetblogist. An interesting read but unfortunately it seems to stop with "All I need to do now is put this in a script, then I can download today’s videos by simply connecting my laptop to the camera’s WiFi and running the script." and is dated at Oct 16 2014.
I have never heard of wget.. but will do some investigating.

Back