Foxeer Legend 2 (Beta F/W)

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Just wanted to let you guys know I received my Foxeer Legend 2 (Beta F/W) and I'm not dissappointed!!

Seems like a very nice performing, small size, Mobius 2 / JooVuu / Firefly Q6 form factor competitor.

I does autostart recording on USB power up, autostop needs f/w update. Takes fast UHS-1 U3 128GB Kungston cards without even pulling a sweat... Doesn't get too hot at all at 1080P/60fps.

Many changeable settings, great picture quality, don't know night quality yet. Will post later.

They will consider a supercapacitor for it, right now the battery is already mounted with a Mobius like connector to the mainboard. Has nice beeps which can be turned up and down, advanced settings for exposure, w/b, saturation, contrast and what not..... They also consider to provide a setting to turn off the LED's for in car use. The beeps will tell you what's what, so the light carnival can be killed off (in future f/w releases) for nightriders....!

Here's a random sample from my ride with it the other day (might be oversaturated... a little.. ;)):

unfortunately including the youtube cr@pdown....

Do my eyes or my screen has problem or just image turns blue ?

yeah. there was an update in the android app, it now has all chinese stuff removed and nicely translated, I probably had some settings wrong, I will soon post new better stuff. Here are some screenshots of the app's settings menu:

Screenshot_20160816-100934.png
Screenshot_20160816-100911.png
Screenshot_20160816-100917.png
Screenshot_20160816-100923.png

Not too shabby I'd say....

Almost forgot, it has great wifi live view, change an image setting, and check immediately in the live view....!

It's common features in action cam. Every sjcam has these funtion.
I care about image quality and the cost. That's the first priority.

Image rotation function creates a funny aspect.....

1st: camera upside down, rotate off

vlcsnap-2016-08-16-18h00m27s351.png

2nd: camera upside down, rotate on

vlcsnap-2016-08-16-18h00m38s642.png

its just horizontally mirroring, not rotate, time for a bugfix!

Last edited:
It's common features in action cam. Every sjcam has these funtion.
I care about image quality and the cost. That's the first priority.

Of course, IQ comes first, but for those on route all day it's very convenient to be able to use this feature.

I promised you guys some test footage, remember it has new f/w 20160812, all settings are set to normal, medium etc.

Please note, the blockiness is really not noticable in the original files, YT makes them appear for some reason.

The first one seems to have some strange colors but it was placed face against windscreen, the second one is about 20 cm from the screen.

The night recording isn't the best I've seen, but also not the worst. There are ISO and EV settings to play with, needs to be tweaked I guess. Unfortunately there is only one mode setting, not two like Mobius, let alone the timed mode like we have in the JooVuu X..... Maybe if we ask nicely...?! Who knows.

Last edited:
Rotation image buggie also fixed....

Add a complementary cooling fan to your Foxeer Legend 2 (or any other one) for 2 bucs...!!

www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Micro-cooling-fan-DC-5V-20mm-Good-Quality/32354369160.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.85.stbexw

IMG_20160826_143644.jpg

IMG_20160826_125447.jpg

Now these cost EU 0.93 so I don't know how long they would last, but you get the idea, these are 20x20x10 mm, but there are also even smaller, 17x17 mm, maybe an idea for the side vents on the JooVuu?

I tried hotglue, but that won't stick to the Foxeer's housing.

Should I use superglue? I'm not thet courageous I think....

Maybe I'll use alu tape, like the ones I used to cover the LED's, they freak me out at night, they blink in the windshield, so I only let the back LED open.

Last edited:
Obviously you need to turn soundrecording off, cause it's like being in a fighter jet..... !!

:D

I noticed after a few hours running this config, the green charging LED remains on, is that to be expected? I mean the fan draws 0.2W from the power source, not from the battery...??

Add a complementary cooling fan to your Foxeer Legend 2 (or any other one) for 2 bucs...!!

www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Micro-cooling-fan-DC-5V-20mm-Good-Quality/32354369160.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.85.stbexw

View attachment 25548

View attachment 25547

Now these cost EU 0.93 so I don't know how long they would last, but you get the idea, these are 20x20x10 mm, but there are also even smaller, 17x17 mm, maybe an idea for the side vents on the JooVuu?

I tried hotglue, but that won't stick to the Foxeer's housing.

Should I use superglue? I'm not thet courageous I think....

Maybe I'll use alu tape, like the ones I used to cover the LED's, they freak me out at night, they blink in the windshield, so I only let the back LED open.

Try some silicone adhesive. Should hold well enough, and can remove later down the road relatively easily.

In the meantime I got naughty and used superglue.... vingers crossed....

I do worry a bit about the battery NOT getting passend 75% charge....... and since the main reason for heat development in the camera is the battery charging, so as long as it doesn't get fully charged, it keeps generating heat, so, it would be an impossible choice between reducing heat by USING the fan (airflow), or by NOT using the fan (reaching full battery charge SOONER because no fan connected to same source) ......

Dillemma!

Maybe the only logical solution is to power the fan separately (other source) ......

Anyone?

Last edited:
Try some silicone adhesive. Should hold well enough, and can remove later down the road relatively easily.

I like the idea of this silicone adhesive, can you advise some brand / type?

Here is a clip I took at almost night fall, some little light in the sky, but it shows how light and bright the recording shows in the live wifi view on the phone while recording, and the actual result that comes out of the camera in the end.

The view is exactly the same to the naked eye at the moment of recording, so is Foxeer's F/W holding back better results? Or is there another explanation?

I decided to create some extra ventilation holes, and clamping the fan to the body instead of glueing it.....

IMG_20160829_101034.jpg
IMG_20160829_101044.jpg
IMG_20160829_103533.jpg
IMG_20160829_103545.jpg

Any silicone product would work, so no specific recommendation. I usually get a permatex product (unsure if available in NL), but really any will do. The same stuff for sealing bathtub/sink joints. But I see you found a different solution.

I'm thinking of adding a fan to my Mini2, which is why your post caught my eye. I ordered a 40mm fan off of Ali Express, as I think it will fit better. Did you measure actual current draw, or was the .2 Amps off the spec sheet?

Any silicone product would work, so no specific recommendation. I usually get a permatex product (unsure if available in NL), but really any will do. The same stuff for sealing bathtub/sink joints. But I see you found a different solution.

I'm thinking of adding a fan to my Mini2, which is why your post caught my eye. I ordered a 40mm fan off of Ali Express, as I think it will fit better. Did you measure actual current draw, or was the .2 Amps off the spec sheet?

Sorry for late reply, only saw it now....

spec says so...

What's mini2? Mobius Mini? Would be interesting to see what that looks like... !! :D

I found www.permatex.nl so, I guess its this one you mean:

http://www.permatex.nl/product/permatex-80050-clear-rtv-silicone-adhesive-sealant-85-gr-35552

I'm thinkin of soldering the power for the fan inside the camera..... what'd you tink?

Just make sure you splice the wire prior to it reaching the motherboard - I wouldn't splice after (don't think that would be easy anyways). I plan to splice in the wire just prior to the micro-usb input connector (Looks like similar to your pictures).

My review on the DDPai Mini2 here:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/ddpai-mini2-review.20732/ I think my picture links broke :(

Nice review!

I am not thinking lightly about bringing the wiring inside the camera, I probably leave it as it is, in the end it's just a test setup, I'll probably end up with something else anyways.

Back