foxoffer G1WH battery capacity

pitabread

Reaction score
Hi,

I received my G1WH the other day from foxoffer and the product is legit; however, the battery life was very short for a 500mAh battery as advertised on their website (). I opened up the camera and it was a 180mAh battery, picture located here: http://i.imgur.com/cW5l1zx.jpg

Anyone else have this issue? Foxoffer told me it's because I used the battery, therefore the capacity is less... It's been only two days and still doesn't change the fact that the battery itself says 180mAh.

EDIT: looks like they removed the capacity all together from their website. Attached is what was advertised before.

EDIT2: I was a bit chocked that FoxOffer had initially tried to blame me for reducing the life of the battery. However, they came around and did the right thing, partially refunding me. With that I purchased a supercapacitor and did some modifications to replaced the battery, pretty much converted it to a G1WHC (Wide lens + supercapacitor). As for the battery I removed I combined it with my other G1WH (from banggood) to extend the life of it, it runs for at least 30 minutes on a full charge.

EDIT3: Pictures attached with modifications I made.

If anyone else is interested in doing the same thing - I was able to convert a G1WH to a G1WHC (Wide lens + supercap) and extend the battery life on another G1WH (last over 30 minutes while recording). The Extended battery life camera will be used for the front and the G1WHC will be used as a rear camera.

I started by removing the battery off one of the G1WH and replaced it with two 2.7v supercapacitor in series. Then used the removed battery to extend the life of another G1WH.

Pictures are below:

G1WHC
Removed connector
RLLAed9l.jpg

Soldered in longer wire
dt3t5oYl.jpg

Taped and ready to close
2TVHT9Jl.jpg

G1W Extended battery
Original Batttery
ivy0sPTl.jpg

Battery from the first G1WH attached in parallel
nE5W1Nhl.jpg

Final result. Both are 180mAh despite one being shorter, this is because the shorter one is actually is thicker.
wfuGJF3l.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-04-25_Foxoffer_G1WH Car DVR Full HD Camera 140 Degree Wide Angle [G1WH].pdf
    442.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
sounds like they misunderstood the question going by their response

the detail on their website is incorrect, whether by mistake in editing or because the information the supplier gave them was incorrect, either way these cameras very typically have small batteries that only last a few minutes, a larger battery is a liability in this application

sounds like they misunderstood the question going by their response

the detail on their website is incorrect, whether by mistake in editing or because the information the supplier gave them was incorrect, either way these cameras very typically have small batteries that only last a few minutes, a larger battery is a liability in this application

I guess this serves as a FYI for people wanting to buy from Foxoffer. If I had known, I would've gotten the estore009 320mAh version instead; 180mAh doesn't last at all, only one to two minutes when recording.

I guess this serves as a FYI for people wanting to buy from Foxoffer. If I had known, I would've gotten the estore009 320mAh version instead; 180mAh doesn't last at all, only one to two minutes when recording.

I'd be very surprised if the estore version is any different, a couple of minutes is the best they normally do anyway as the batteries are generally tiny on all these cameras, the battery is only there for file save and shutdown, not for recording

I'd be very surprised if the estore version is any different, a couple of minutes is the best they normally do anyway as the batteries are generally tiny on all these cameras, the battery is only there for file save and shutdown, not for recording

Going off of the pictures from estore009 for the G1W (https://www.ebay.com/itm/310891426086). Didn't really care about the wide angle (g1wh) I just wanted a larger battery capacity; hence the purchase from foxoffer. If I ever get into an accident, I would like decent amount of time to remove it and either record the damages or take pictures.

If you really care about the battery life that much, you can buy bigger lithium batteries on ebay and swap them in, by means of soldering.

Just compare the stated dimensions with what space you have left in the camera and yeah.

I think there was even a store that sold the G1W 320mah batteries separately.

Do you carry a mobile phone?

Since pretty much all mobile phones these days have cameras in them, which take much better photos and actually have a focusing system instead of a fixed focus.

I know I can swap out the batteries and it's super easy for me to do, however it's additional expense that wasn't accounted for (5-8 dollars for a 320mAh). Heck, I can even buy multiple batteries and solder it in parallel to extend the capacity.

The point is the item was mis-presented/error and people should be aware of that, in case they are faced with a similar buying decision. Foxoffer has since removed the battery capacity in the listing, but at least others should be expecting a 180mAh in a G1WH, instead of 200 mAh(old G1W) or 320mAh (2014 G1W). The 320MaH does make a difference and in another forums, someone has indicated up to 10 mins.

Fair enough.

I take it you don't buy many things from China.

Would you have been happy if that 180mah battery actually said 500mah on it, even if it was only 180mah?

Because I can tell you that does happen all the time, especially with these kinds of products.

FoxOffer probably got mixed up when typing up the specs, If you look on the box of a G1WH it has "Power Input: 5v 500ma" and right under it is "Battery: Rechargeable Li-ion".

It even says that the G1WH has a 120 degree lens.

But yeah, I get what you mean, it's just a shame that for something that represents the specific product that they end up being inaccurate.

Because you have brought this to their attention, and they have fixed this mistake, I'm sure many other people will thank you.

I know what you are trying to get at but this is getting off topic. Thanks for confirming.

You bought a cheap dashcam, not really worth making a drama i think...

The manufacturer might have provided wrong information, mistakes happen, jus return your cam if you do not like it.

And I wonder what is the biggest battery that a dascam can have ? Which model is famous for having a powerful battery ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You bought a cheap battery, not really worth making a drama i think...

The manufacturer might have provided wrong information, mistakes happen, jus return your cam if you do not like it.

And I wonder what is the biggest battery that a dascam can have ? Which model is famous for having a powerful battery ?

Thanks.

I believe you meant camera. Cheap is subjective and I wouldn't call it cheap as the quality seems good. It's priced at a competitive advantage over other competitors in the same market space.

I accept that they could have received the wrong information from the manufacture, so did the sellers selling fake G1W's right? Anyways the vendor did the right thing and no longer blaming me, acknowledge the mistake and partially refunded me. Kudos to them for doing this.

The mobius dashcam can run from 85-90 minutes, if you are interested in one with a longer life.

Actually,this newer GIW (https://www.ebay.com/itm/310891426086 with 32omah battery,it can last few mins recording on its battery than old 180mah battery!

But for your understanding,all batteries for car cameras just for back-up,so that is why we recommend that you plug into car cig lighter for power source if you want long time recording!
Regards,
Estore009/Vicky

Actually,there is one 2014y newer camera model now AT600 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/281186608822 comes with 650mah battery,and it can support Parking mode,it can support take recording when parking! So,it will be real one 24hrs "full time" guard your car within 24hrs/Day!

Hi,
If anyone else is interested in doing the same thing - I was able to convert a G1WH to a G1WHC (Wide lens + supercap) and extend the battery life on another G1WH (last over 30 minutes while recording). The Extended battery life camera will be used for the front and the G1WHC will be used as a rear camera.

I thought the board was not made for capacitor so looks like it's okay.
BTW, how long the 2.7v capacitors last on their own?

The supercaps are wired in series which brings up the voltage and reduces the capacity. It last just longer enough for the camera to shutdown without corrupting the video.

I ordered additional cameras and for those I was able to fit in a 400mAh battery (last 48 minutes) into the camera.

pXg2vMsl.jpg

JZmUK4Tl.jpg

Last edited:
What type of battery did you end up using as a 400mAh? Is this one or that one better?

The supercaps are wired in series which brings up the voltage and reduces the capacity. It last just longer enough for the camera to shutdown without corrupting the video.

I ordered additional cameras and for those I was able to fit in a 400mAh battery (last 48 minutes) into the camera.

pXg2vMsl.jpg

JZmUK4Tl.jpg

Actually,capacitors is not one battery pack. And it can not last when car engine off,it will stop recording when engine off!

Hello. Does anybody know, what is the max size of the battery that we can fit into G1WH ? I am talking about dimensions in mm. I can buy some batteries, but do not know what size they must be. The best is 40x30x5mm cause they are like 500mah up to 650mah.

Back