Foxoffer - I give up

throrope

Reaction score
Country
United States
Buying directly from international providers I feel promotes relations, interdependence, erodes differences and improves value for the cost. I purchased the GT680W dashcam for the protection of my son who will be an inexperienced young driver now and from Foxoffer for the above.

The last I want is to discredit anyone, but I'm at the end of my patience. Instead of further pursuit, I ordered a replacement GPS antenna through Amazon.com.

I quoted the following from emails - edited to remove ID info, headers and salutations only.

Subject: RE: RE: Problem remains RE: RE: [FoxOffer]Ask a question

Me Date: Fri 5/2/2014 11:21 PM
From the provided tracking number, the post date is more than a month before your notice and you are still preparing for shipment. Since more than 28 days have passed, should I purchase a new module from another source?

From: support2@foxoffer.com [mailto:support2@foxoffer.com] Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:30 AM
New GPS module is shipped. Everything is tested before shipping, well packed. When you got this tracking number, it means the package is left our office, it can be traceable after 1 to 4 days.

Me Date: 2014-03-28 11:09
Thank you

From: support2@foxoffer.com Date: 03/27/2014 10:57 PM (GMT-05:00)
OK, we will ship you a new GPS module for GT680 to below address if the address or phone is wrong please contact us at once. will update you track number once it shipped, please give us 2 to 3 work days to process it.

Me Date: 2014-03-27:
Per your attached email, I upgraded the firmware to (Shadow_GT680W_full_black_v2.7G) from V.1. I purchased the exact model you recommended after the upgrade was published. I followed all your guidance. The antenna is powered through the camera and the camera works fine. No blue light. GPS does not work.
Please kindly end this and send me a new GPS module.

From:support2@foxoffer.com[mailto:support2@foxoffer.com] Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:19 AM
Before we ship new GPS module for GT680W.
Please kindly update the firmware, and check the GPS module status.
First, update the firmware:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/firmware/gt680w/Shadow_gt680w_V2.6_FW.zip
Second: Check the light on the GPS module, do you see the red and blue light on the GPS module? If not red or blue light, it will be the GPS module problem.
If you can see red and blue light on GPS module, I am not sure about the problem. So I don't know it will solve the problem even with new GPS module.
Also please test the GPS module in the car(open area).
Thanks.

Me Date: 2014-03-22 21:23
Thank you

From:support2@foxoffer.com[mailto:support2@foxoffer.com] Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 11:08 PM
OK, we will send you a GT680W gps module replacement. It will be sent in coming week. Once it done will keep you informed.

Me Date: 2014-03-22 09:29
Per attached, I have one without GPS.
I also see I’m not the only one with this issue.http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/help-with-gt680w-gps.4655/
Please provide a replacement GPS antenna.

From:support2@foxoffer.com[mailto:support2@foxoffer.com] Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 9:26 AM
how about just refund for the GPS module, because if we send you a GPS replacement, i'm not sure if it will work good there.
also I worry about your car charger may burned the gps module.

Me Date: 2014-03-21 09:00
Please provide confirmation.

Me Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 10:24 PM
Foxoffer
GPS photo as promised.
Confirmed, problem persists with original charger problem.
Please provide new GPS antenna.

From:support@foxoffer.com[mailto:support@foxoffer.com] Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2014 9:56 PM
Also please take a photo of the camera you received, is it black or silvery version?
Thanks.

ME Date: 2014-02-09 10:54
Thank you.
See below for the original firmware version. I upgraded to V2.7.
I will forward photos as requested in the next day or so.
GPS symbol always blinks.

From:support@foxoffer.com[mailto:support@foxoffer.com] Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2014 9:49 PM
Please take a photo to show me the Firmware version of the camera, and the GPS module you recieved.
Also please try to test it with the original car charger, connect the charger first, and connect the GPS module later.
You can try to use thewww.sendspace.comto send me file.
Please notice you can see the GPS symbol on the camera screen, if the camera can not receive the GPS signal, it will continue blinking.
Thanks.

Me Date: 2014-02-09 09:04
Nope, no success. Please send a new GPS unit. Please note I bought the specific unit you recommended.

Me Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 9:32 PM
Foxoffer
GPS worked once, no more. First file on SD card captured GPS information. All others do not. Nothing changed between the files. I tried to attached example, but files too large.
I have the unit mounted behind the rear view mirror and the gps antenna attached to the windshield glass with the excess cable bundled above the headliner. I’m using a DROK DC Converter 12V to 5V 3A Car USB Charger Power Supply for iPhone iPad Phone In Vehicle DVR Recorder – link: 12v to ups I installed FW V2.7 per below.
Could I have gotten the old GPS antenna that had issues in USA?http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/shadow-gt680w.2311/How can I tell? Order confirmation attached.
I saw a post with a comment about the GPS screen saver causing issues and I have now set mine to OFF and will try again. I have the screen saver to 3 minutes.
Please provide guidance.

From:support@foxoffer.com[mailto:support@foxoffer.com] Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:23 PM
Please try to update the FW V2.7.
Download the FW from below link:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/firmware/gt680w/Shadow_GT680W_full_black_v2.7G_FW.zip
Thanks.

Me Date: 2014-01-22 11:18
I can’t see GPS information. I downloaded the software per below and reloaded it, but no difference. The satellite symbol is flashing as well as the red and blue LEDs on the GPS module.
My Version is 2013.0827.V.1
Fromhttp://dashcamtalk.com/gt680w/
“The early versions of this camera had a GPS module that would not lock. This apparently was an issue for overseas buyers since the GPS module worked in China. Later versions of this camera are using an improved GPS module that has resolved this problem. Note that you must use firmware V2.4G or higher with the GPS enabled camera.
Latest Firmware
The firmware version with GPS / without GPS is same.
For the all black GT680W, the latest firmware isShadow_GT680W_full_black_v2.7G_FW.zip
Do I have the correct firmware? Should I upgrade to the v2.7G per above link? Is my GPS module correct?
Thank you

From:support@foxoffer.com[mailto:support@foxoffer.com] Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:42 PM
Hello Paul,
Please donwload it from below link:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/tools/gt680w/Seezeus GPS Player GT680W.rar
Thanks.

Me Date: 2013-12-15 09:50
Product Link:http://www.foxoffer.com:80/shadow-gt680w-full-hd-1080p-car-dash-camcorder-black-p-651.html
Thank you for sending the GT680W dash cam. Please provide website for software download that enables GPS view and link to mapping software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... What a run around!

Is the amount saved anywhere near worth the hassle?

Try putting GPS antenna writing side up/down on the dash board, if you have some fancy rearview mirror it could cause interfere with signal (maybe).

FYI the old GPS antennas were more square and thick with no writing, new module is more rounded and thin with writing on it.

Hope that helps!

Next time support local business...its worth the extra bit of coin.

When "fresh", - some time it takes even 30min to get gps lock after very first install. Car car to be steady.

Update -

Ordered new GPS antenna Sunday night from Spy Tec via Amazon and plugged it in on Thursday. Worked immediately. Ran it around for a couple days on the dash with perfect success and even noticed the battery now holds a charge much better. Hmmm . . . Could the software be running the battery down to nothing while trying to lock the GPS signal even when unplugged?

Since I had to pull the wire from above the headliner, I went the extra distance and re-wired the whole unit using the original cigarette plug and a loose socket wired to a fuse energized with the ignition. Applied the double sided sticky to the outlined rectangle on the GPS antenna and stuck it on the windshield. Plugged it in and !@#$% NO GPS. But it just worked perfect for days!!! Hmmm . . . Take the GPS off the windshield and flip it over with new gray :( sticky tape. WORKED. Seems the backside of the rear view mirror is intended location for antenna installation and not the windshield, which faces the lettering out and the sticky tape sized rectangle facing in. Who'da thunk.

I felt stupid. Then I recalled the photo I sent Foxoffer of the installed unit and reviewed their responses. Then I sifted through the very cryptic manual. No guidance at all.

Now to be fair, I plugged in the original antenna flipped to the "opposite" (?) side and sure enough, it worked.

Since then just like I wanted, I start the car, the GT680W greets me, the screen displays what I see, a red light blinks for recording and the satellite icon stops blinking shortly thereafter. Three minutes later the screen shuts off as selected. When I stop and pull the key, which disconnects the power, the display fires up, the battery symbol shows full and the GT680W shuts down after finishing the current file. Take the chip out, put it in my computer and watch a great picture with all the other bells and whistles working as promised.

As to Foxoffer, they are very polite. I suggest they be more precise.

@throrope Glad to see the problem solved.
Also I rechecked the new GPS module we shipped earlier time, it is arrived local post office.
You can track it from below link:
http://www.17track.net/en/result/post.shtml?nums=RF221836514SG

Latest tracking status:
2014-05-20 11:13, Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available), PHOENIXVILLE, PA 19460
2014-05-20 06:44, Out for Delivery, PHOENIXVILLE, PA 19460

Thanks for your understand and your cooperation to solve this problem.

Back