Freezing Cold Blackvue DR500GW-HD

Arizona User said:
I'm going to format my 32 GB SD card (when I receive it tomorrow) on my computer using the full format, and see how long it takes.
Longer must be better, no?

the format your computer does doesn't adhere to the standard set for SD cards, use the Panasonic SD Formatter V2.0 if you'd like to do it correctly

I have spoken to two different vendors regarding SDCARDs for this model and each of them said the same thing. They each said that you need to use the Pittasoft BlackVue SDCARD, and if you don't there are problems like writing to the file allocation table, not sure if it's true but with mine I didn't take the risk and so far so good.

I read in many places that if a device is offering an option to format the SD Card, the best is to use their option, not PC, and this because of some Linux stuff.
As jokiin recommended, if using a computer is recommended to use a dedicated program, and one of them can be the official SD Card Formatter.

enjoy,
Mtz

I never bothered to format mine, I just powered up the camera let the software install and left it. It should be formatted anyway from factory :)

jokiin said:
the G force sensor is only a positive thing, will automatically write protect a recording in the event of an accident, I don't see any benefit in turning it off ???

There is not such a feature in DR500 as protecting the event recording files. It will only mark the files as "event".
The only way to protect the files from overwrite is to use Blackvue Android/iPhone app - when watching recorded video you can notice a lock sign in upper left corner. Touch it and it becomes red and locked - as the file itself.

About memory card - using Sandisk Ultra 32GB for a month without reformatting it and no problems so far.

Thought I would post a followup to this freezing up of my BV500 that I was having.

After troubleshooting this for 2 months, and back and forth with the dealer from whom I purchased the camera, I am happy to say, I was sent a replacement camera, and it works fine! No more lockups!

Just wanted to throw a shout out to William from artofspeedracing.ca for all his help with this first lemon of a camera... William offered to deal with Pittasoft directly on the issue instead of having me try and get them to do warranty support (which I really didnt have a lot of hope for, since they have not answered ANY emails I have ever sent to them). I purchased a second camera from William (Just so I would not be without a camera during the transition period). William sent me the second camera, I sent him back the defective one, and he refunded my purchase price on the second one. He is very good to deal with, and is very responsive (called me several times for clarification)... Highly recommend.

I would also like to thank everyone on this board for their help as well. I tried every suggestion given to me here to try and fix the problem or narrow down the problem, but in the end, it pointed to a lemon of a camera, which it was... New one works fine!

Hi, just joined this forum after reading about the green led and freezing....
I bought the Dr500 from a web dealer in the uk, fired it up and got the first spoken message about initialising the card, and that was it the green led remained on no second message, tried another card, formatted it then the original card again and I could not get pass the point of the green led remaining on, nothing else on the camera would work, the wi-fi button or trying to format the card, this was within 2 hours of receiving it.
To cut a long story short it was returned and a replacement sent which to this point in time is working ok, but only been a week so far.
Regarding the cards a blackvue dealer in the uk are selling 32Gb cards for these, Kingston class 10 cards see http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/BlackVue_32 ... _cards.php

Just wonder what serial numbers you guys are at... D5GWK1C2E00272 this was the one that was returned.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that dealer is selling SD cards that are supposedly Blackvue. The picture shows a Kingston card. And it's an SD card, which we all know the Blackvue cams take micro sd

My DR500GW-HD came with a 32GB Samsung HC Class 10 microSD card. Since using it over the last two months, it has never failed me. I move the video onto my laptop every day I use the dash cam. It has not been formatted since the initial install into the BlackVue. No problems with the card at all.

Hi all,
Purchased the 500gw a while back & just got around to installing it today. Upon power up, I get the "initialising the sd card" prompt, but here's a new slant on it, it just repeats the message over & over without moving on to recording.
Card is a Pittasoft 32gb card which was supplied with camera.
Hold the wifi button for 10 sec + to format the card to see if that helps.
Doesn't seem to start formatting process. Just keeps on repeating "initialising......."
Argh

Hi all,
Purchased the 500gw a while back & just got around to installing it today. Upon power up, I get the "initialising the sd card" prompt, but here's a new slant on it, it just repeats the message over & over without moving on to recording.
Card is a Pittasoft 32gb card which was supplied with camera.
Hold the wifi button for 10 sec + to format the card to see if that helps.
Doesn't seem to start formatting process. Just keeps on repeating "initialising......."
Argh

Is the engine turned on it could be down on voltage which affects it quite noticeably. Format it in a PC and load the latest firmware and try it with the car idling.

Interesting that dealer is selling SD cards that are supposedly Blackvue. The picture shows a Kingston card. And it's an SD card, which we all know the Blackvue cams take micro sd

HA Ha good luck on getting one of them to fit in the cameras listed.

They are Registered Blackvue distributors ????????????????

Back