Freezing - Image Stabalisation

jih2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I like a lot of the features on the units and have gone through verious previous revisions, and the image quality is amazing. However currently frustrated and not impressed so need to open this to the wider audience....

My first unit i bought from amazon UK last year. Updated with the latest firmware, when i enable image stabalisation (not enabled by default surprisingly for one of the features its purported as being industry leader), it locks after a while e.g. screen freezes and unresponsive to input. Pressing the reset button fixes this, or waiting for the internal battery to deplete. I have contacted support who I provided my instructions and did not have this issue. I put the camera on an internal USB power supply for charging phones in the house with a Nextbase USB card (after they told me this was the potential issue) and it still locked up. After they could not replicate the issue, and i could consistently I returned the unit to amazon and put this down to the fact that perhaps i had a faulty camera.

This week, I bought a unit direct from nextbase and have the same issue as above on first use. I checked firmware and it matches the version on their site. I adjusted the settings from factory (e.g. only ones i changed were enabling image stabalisation / don't display speed) and it hung.

What im interested in is, anyone else experiencing this issue? I will contact thier support again but would be interestered as would add weight to the argument as im not sure if they are trying to brush the issue under the carpet. As mentioned, these units have image stabalization = off by default which is suspicious, so anyone who has one please let me know your thoughts?

Thanks

these units have image stabalization = off by default which is suspicious, so anyone who has one please let me know your thoughts?
if it's mounted correctly it should give better results with image stabilisation off anyway

if it's mounted correctly it should give better results with image stabilisation off anyway
Its mounted correctly. However, a unit that freezes if enabling a feature its supposed to support is not acceptable. Don't get me wrong, i have about 4 or 5 of their previous gen. units on both our cars throughout the years but cannot accept this issue.

yeah I agree it should work, once it does though I wouldn't use it anyway, the results will be better without it

yeah I agree it should work, once it does though I wouldn't use it anyway, the results will be better without it
Its one of their main selling points. I had the previous cam that supported 1440 and this one at 4K/30fps + image stabalisation :love: but they need to fix the bugs

Serously, you expect me to except turning off a feature they purport in their specs. You have shares in them by chance..... Lets be realistic. If a product is sold with feature Y, we expect Y to function as advertised.

Serously, you expect me to except turning off a feature they purport in their specs.
I'd expect you to be turning off based on the results you achieve, I get what you're saying that if it's the there then it should work, once it does you can make your own mind up but stabilisation in dashcams leads to a reduction in image quality, it's a questionable decision to have it there in the first place, it's not the only thing they do that doesn't make sense though, decisions seem to be driven by the marketing department rather than engineering

but stabilisation in dashcams leads to a reduction in image quality
It does depend a bit on your mount, and an SG mount looks nothing like this:

nextbase-622gw.jpg

Might want 5 axis stabilisation for that!

Serously, you expect me to except turning off a feature they purport in their specs. You have shares in them by chance..... Lets be realistic. If a product is sold with feature Y, we expect Y to function as advertised.
A good dashcam does not want an image stabilisation feature.
As to what we expect you to do, well that is really your choice, and you can listen to the advice or ignore it as you please.
You did ask for advice, I think!

It does depend a bit on your mount, and an SG mount looks nothing like this:

nextbase-622gw.jpg

Might want 5 axis stabilisation for that!
yeah mount design does make a difference and anything suction mounted isn't going to be as stable, still EIS is poor, would need OIS to be able to deliver reasonable results, any of those types of techs are better at smoothing (softening) large movements which dashcams don't have, as compared to smoothing micro vibrations which they don't work well for and is something that suction mounted dashcams often have

Guys, the primary purpose of this thread was to find out if anyone else with this model had the same freezing issue with image stabilization. I respect your opinions but I want to be able to enable the feature.

Guys, the primary purpose of this thread was to find out if anyone else with this model had the same freezing issue with image stabilization. I respect your opinions but I want to be able to enable the feature.
yeah freezing is a deal breaker for a camera, it defeats the reason for even having one, even though the feature is questionable it still needs to be fixed

For me, from reading the posts here, I do wonder if Nextbase are pushing just a bit too hard on features.

I know there are very few freezing posts here but they do seem to be centred on the 522 and now the 622.

Hi,

I like a lot of the features on the units and have gone through verious previous revisions, and the image quality is amazing. However currently frustrated and not impressed so need to open this to the wider audience....

My first unit i bought from amazon UK last year. Updated with the latest firmware, when i enable image stabalisation (not enabled by default surprisingly for one of the features its purported as being industry leader), it locks after a while e.g. screen freezes and unresponsive to input. Pressing the reset button fixes this, or waiting for the internal battery to deplete. I have contacted support who I provided my instructions and did not have this issue. I put the camera on an internal USB power supply for charging phones in the house with a Nextbase USB card (after they told me this was the potential issue) and it still locked up. After they could not replicate the issue, and i could consistently I returned the unit to amazon and put this down to the fact that perhaps i had a faulty camera.

This week, I bought a unit direct from nextbase and have the same issue as above on first use. I checked firmware and it matches the version on their site. I adjusted the settings from factory (e.g. only ones i changed were enabling image stabalisation / don't display speed) and it hung.

What im interested in is, anyone else experiencing this issue? I will contact thier support again but would be interestered as would add weight to the argument as im not sure if they are trying to brush the issue under the carpet. As mentioned, these units have image stabalization = off by default which is suspicious, so anyone who has one please let me know your thoughts?

Thanks
Hi there,

Would you be able to contact us with a private message with your email address so that we can look into the steps performed with you previously?

Kind regards,
Dan - Nextbase Technical Support

Hi there,

Would you be able to contact us with a private message with your email address so that we can look into the steps performed with you previously?

Kind regards,
Dan - Nextbase Technical Support
Messaged you.

Just to update everyone, I contacted nextbase support, the issue was passed to development and I was told "there is a fix that is being tested" for above issue but no timeframe for release given. This was on April 22nd. I will update this thread once I hear back.

My 622GW freezes when image stabalisation is on. I have had to turn it off. I am on the latest firmware. Hope they fix this soon.

I still have my support ticket open, it's confirmed as a bug but still no update other than its with the developers

Back