Fresh platform

edagrade

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As a newcomer to all things Dashcams, I'm keen on what dashcams can do but am a little surprised at the almost oldskoolness of the hardware, especially storage mediums.
Don't get me wrong, I'm amazed at what is available currently!

Seriously, in my opinion current mainstream dashcams, the hardware & storage media currently used needs a quantum upgrade to get away from SD card hassles or flaky wifi to phone apps etc.
To my mind, an underdash powered central processing unit with a solidstate flash drive able to upload via USB (or wifi), 2 remote cameras with 1080P & 30Frames per second can't be that hard to develop or expensive to bring to market?

What technologies & hardware do emergency services & police use for dashcams ?

the techknowledgey you’re asking for is already here, I can see a car manufacturers doing something like this and then all wiring will be in the loom and well hidden with lens only the size of the head of a match. stuck on the screen

they would be integral with the rest of the car’s electrical system like ICE is now on many cars

some cars that come with 6 to 8 speakers are well integrated in the car, as its a lot easier and cheaper for a car manufacturer to design them round their car and fit them when assembling the car than us doing it as an after market kit, I think it will be the same with what you’re suggesting.

Quite a few of us have been asking for storage other than SD cards for a long time, there even is a few threads here about what the dream dashcam should have and do.
I am hoping that with multi channel systems with hidden main units we will soon see other options for storage, cuz with a hidden main box you dont have a size limit so you could put a huge regular hard drive in such a system.

Here a 256 Gb SSD cost about the same as a 128 Gb SD card, so its a no brainer i think that SSD is a better path to go down, and then backup some of the storage to a USB thumb drive to get footage off the main unit.

Back