Friends I am back with a followup - Blackvue DR900S vs Thinkware Q800Pro (quality and parking mode)

ShedMonkeySaysNo

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I reached out to Blackboxmycar customer service and they, and several leads from various internet searches, keep pointing me towards Thinkware over Blackvue. The gripes are poor night capture quality and a continued claim that the Thinkware has better parking mode. Is this actually true? From everything that I've seen, the Blackvue DR900S has the best picture at lest in day shots. For night shots, if there's artificial lighting, it seems leaps ahead of the competition. Maybe without artificial lighting it pales in comparison to Thinkware, but I haven't seen Thinkware night vision give something significantly beneficial. I haven't seen it clearly show license plate info that the Blackvue can't come close to. Thoughts?

As far as parking mode goes I have no idea, finding comparisons is difficult, but it seems like both can accomplish similar goals.

Any feedback? I am willing to work with either, but while the reviews all say Thinkware, what I see on youtube makes me lean towards Blackvue. Thanks!

Also the overheating complaints seem to be resolved by using specific sd cards. Overheating is a concern for me because we're moving to Florida.

In hot environments, being able to crack your windows a tad can lower the temperature quite a bit. When using the Weather Tech window deflectors, you can crack them enough to lower the temperature a few degrees and no one will even notice the window is open a little bit. And if it starts raining, your car will still stay nice and dry.

You'll have a tough time finding comparisons between the 900 and the Q800 because the Q800 is still very new.

As for the night quality of the 900, I might be in the minority but I actually prefer the 900 versus some dash cams that brighten the video. Often you lose detail with those cameras because things become whitewashed or too bright.

For the overheating, I'm not sure if anyone has been able to really try it yet (maybe overseas) but BlackVue did come out with a firmware upgrade in December/January (can't remember exactly which one) that altered the temperature cut off. they claimed that it had been set too low, the Cam itself wasn't overheating it was just shutting down because it hit a low temp cut off.

Back