Front and back Mini3

New2020

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All,

Bought 2x mini3 for the front and the back which I plan to get them hardwired. Do I need to purchase two hardwire kits or enough can connect bot

You need to buy the hardwire KIT if its not included

Yes, you will need one kit per camera. If you are having them turn on only when the car turns on (as in not worrying about parking mode) then the cheapest way is to buy 2x female cigarette lighter plugs and a fuse tap.

Yes, you will need one kit per camera. If you are having them turn on only when the car turns on (as in not worrying about parking mode) then the cheapest way is to buy 2x female cigarette lighter plugs and a fuse tap.
Thank you, just bought hardwire kits. Do they automatically go into park mode once I switch the car off?

Yes, they do. Be thorough with your install. Ensure they're hooked up correctly and that the constant power wire is definitely receiving constant power and not switching off after the car has been locked for a set amount of time. Some European cars (and even our later Falcons) are like this I believe. DEFINITELY use the 3 wire kit.
Once set up you will be able to add both cameras in the DDPAI app. You can then play with the settings on each camera.
In my partner's car I now have a Mini3 up front, hardwired for parking mode.
In the rear it's just another Mini3, accessory switched.
Hardwired Mini3 records normal video once car has been switched to ACC / Running. Once the car is turned off the camera will record 1 frame per second for 24 hours or until the battery voltage gets at / below the allocated cut-off voltage (adjusted in the DDPAI app) - whichever comes first.
These cameras seem to work fine albeit the bit-rate is a little on the low side. You'll see what I mean when reviewing videos on roads with lots of trees!
As a side note, don't waste your time contacting DDPAI for any help if you have issues, been there / done that. Zero response.

Thank you so much for the detailed. I was under impression the app doesn’t allow to select the voltage anymore on the newer mini3 ( headphone jack type). Completely agree customer service is non existent.

I noticed the footage looks way oversharpered I wish they allowed the user to control the sharpness and image parameters.

Not a worry.
Yes, over-sharpened is certainly right.
You could be right that it may be a little different for the newer Mini3, I'm unsure. I only have the original which has the micro-usb socket on the mount.
One thing that I did notice was that if you use the standard, accessory-switched power with this camera the app will display a time-based cut-off setting for parking mode. Once you switch to the 3-wire hardwire kit the app will display voltage cut-off only.

Not a worry.
Yes, over-sharpened is certainly right.
You could be right that it may be a little different for the newer Mini3, I'm unsure. I only have the original which has the micro-usb socket on the mount.
One thing that I did notice was that if you use the standard, accessory-switched power with this camera the app will display a time-based cut-off setting for parking mode. Once you switch to the 3-wire hardwire kit the app will display voltage cut-off only.
Can ask for your advice, I’m having connecting my hardwire connection.
Connected the ACC cable (red) to fuse 47 which is for the rear wiper (not specced) and the earth cable to the metal bolt. Yet no power.

Any ideas where I went wrong?

Attachments

• 49932CF9-F5E1-4482-B8AF-5E21A9394BE2.jpeg
    49932CF9-F5E1-4482-B8AF-5E21A9394BE2.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 15
  • 34BBCBFC-34A2-4299-9609-ECE84DB4E117.jpeg
    34BBCBFC-34A2-4299-9609-ECE84DB4E117.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 16
How certain are you that the earth is a good earth? Have a test light handy?

Also, rear wiper circuit is likely an ignition switched circuit, not accessory, so you are testing it with the car running or at least in the ON position?

How certain are you that the earth is a good earth? Have a test light handy?
I’ll check it out and try and change it. Do I need to connect the yellow cable or is red sufficient? The fuse I chose is ignition linked which is ok for my needs.

Also, rear wiper circuit is likely an ignition switched circuit, not accessory, so you are testing it with the car running or at least in the ON position?
Only tried its with the ignition on position but not with the engine fully running.

I believe the yellow can stay disconnected if parking mode is not needed.

I used this kit for my front camera, so all wires are hooked up. For my rear, accessory switched camera I'm using the wiring that came in the box with the camera, plugged in to a female cig plug adaptor and tapped in to an accessory switched circuit in the rear.

When you say all the wires are hooked, did you connect both the red and yellow? Thank you very much for your assistance

I did, yes. For parking mode to function properly you must do this.

I did, yes. For parking mode to function properly you must do this.
Thank you, all working fine now! I needed to connect both cables. Now the problem is the rear camera. I need to find another set of fuses. Do you think 3.5mm splitter would work to power two camera from the same fuses and hardwire?

I personally wouldn't do that, I'd guess the circuitry in the hard-wire kit may be a little on the delicate side.
Do you have one or two hard-wire kits?
Are you after the rear camera being ran with parking mode?

Thanks for the advice I didn’t feel comfortable with that setup too. I have two hardwire kids but the problem with the second kit it doesn’t reach the rear camera. I guess I will need to get a 3.5mm extension cable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R mini3 2
G mini3 2
J mini3 0
W mini3 3
T mini3 3
Back