Front and back Mini3

Pleasure to help a fellow Aussie.
My partner's car was home for a few hours today (usually it's always on the road) and I had the day off, so I decided to hard-wire her rear camera. Before doing so I set it up on my desk and can confirm that the camera WILL NOT turn on with the 3wire hard-wire kit unless all 3 wires are hooked up.
I have a very happy wife now that both front and rear have parking mode, she loves her DDPai cameras because of the remote-lock button.
What sort of car are you installing it in?
This one went in a first generation Toyota Kluger (SUV). The only difficulty is running the wire through the factory grommet to the rear hatch (I like to keep things looking factory). I usually electrical tape the end of the dashcam wiring to a cable tie or similar to feed it through. It was a bit tight, however, and I ended up having a chopstick sitting in my shed that worked brilliantly. Whatever works, hey!!
I earthed the kit to a tail light bolt.
The Klugers have a handy 12v outlet in the boot (ACC switched), so I tapped in to the back of this for my accessory switched (red) wire.
There is a constant 12v supply to the boot light, so I was able to tap in to this to get a constant 12v for the yellow wire. This may not be the case on many cars and you may find this may switch off after the car is locked for a certain amount of time. I got lucky. Always test to make sure.
Hopefully this helps.

Pleasure to help a fellow Aussie.
My partner's car was home for a few hours today (usually it's always on the road) and I had the day off, so I decided to hard-wire her rear camera. Before doing so I set it up on my desk and can confirm that the camera WILL NOT turn on with the 3wire hard-wire kit unless all 3 wires are hooked up.
I have a very happy wife now that both front and rear have parking mode, she loves her DDPai cameras because of the remote-lock button.
What sort of car are you installing it in?
This one went in a first generation Toyota Kluger (SUV). The only difficulty is running the wire through the factory grommet to the rear hatch (I like to keep things looking factory). I usually electrical tape the end of the dashcam wiring to a cable tie or similar to feed it through. It was a bit tight, however, and I ended up having a chopstick sitting in my shed that worked brilliantly. Whatever works, hey!!
I earthed the kit to a tail light bolt.
The Klugers have a handy 12v outlet in the boot (ACC switched), so I tapped in to the back of this for my accessory switched (red) wire.
There is a constant 12v supply to the boot light, so I was able to tap in to this to get a constant 12v for the yellow wire. This may not be the case on many cars and you may find this may switch off after the car is locked for a certain amount of time. I got lucky. Always test to make sure.
Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Surprised your wire reached all the way to the back of kluger which is longer than my car. Mine is a saloon car Skoda superb.

To explain the total length 3.5m is long enough but given the control until is located after 1m only gives me 2.5m to work with. I just need another 100 cm or so to reach the rear camera. One way to make it work is store the control unit along the roof lining which isn’t ideal or safe given my car has airbags in the pillars.

The ideal situation is store it near the fuse box same as the front cam. I’m looking at getting 3.5 jack extension which is my only hope.

Understood.
What I meant was I actually tapped in to power sources at the rear of my car, leaving me with plenty of cable to spare.
Good point with the airbags, I know if I was required to install I would be ensuring interior trim came off and installed the cable underneath them, and securely mounting dashcam cable.
For a car with curtain airbags I'd be definitely extending the power side of the kit and running along the floor.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Surprised your wire reached all the way to the back of kluger which is longer than my car. Mine is a saloon car Skoda superb.

To explain the total length 3.5m is long enough but given the control until is located after 1m only gives me 2.5m to work with. I just need another 100 cm or so to reach the rear camera. One way to make it work is store the control unit along the roof lining which isn’t ideal or safe given my car has airbags in the pillars.

The ideal situation is store it near the fuse box same as the front cam. I’m looking at getting 3.5 jack extension which is my only hope.

Hey there,

Did the 3.5 mm extension method work for you? I am having the same issue with the cord not being long enough to reach the rear.

Hey there,

Did the 3.5 mm extension method work for you? I am having the same issue with the cord not being long enough to reach the rear.
I used a normal audio 3.5mm which didn’t work as you need a 3.5mm that allows power transfer. I found stores that stock them I ended connecting to rear 12v charging plug.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R mini3 2
G mini3 2
J mini3 0
W mini3 3
T mini3 3
Back