• Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

khandu

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey Guys

Looking for front and rear dashcam. Definitely want to hardwire them and thinking of battery drainage protection?

After much reading have come down the the following

Setup 1
1) 2 x A119S v2 - Not available in Australia but guessing it will cost around $160 AUD each = ~$320 AUD
2) 1 x Street Guardian MSBDP Multi Safer Cut Off Hard Wiring Kit (to power both cameras) = ~$58 AUD
3) 2 x SanDisk HE 64GB Cards = ~$100 AUD
4) Something else to connect to battery (like Double Blade Fuse Socket Wire Tap / long wires for back camera / misc ) ? = ~$20 AUD
TOTAL: Approx $500 AUD

OR

Setup 2
1) BlackVue DashCam DR650S-2CH-IR + Power Magic Pro = ~$570 AUD
2) 1 x SanDisk HE 64GB Card = ~$50 AUD
3) Something else to connect to battery (like Double Blade Fuse Socket Wire Tap / long wires for back camera / misc ) ? = ~$20 AUD
TOTAL: Approx $640 AUD

Queries

1) Which Setup would you recommend? I am leaning towards Setup 1
2) Anything else in terms of hardware missing to complete either setup for full hardwired and battery drainage kit?
3) Overkill? Something smaller? No rear?
4) DR650S-2CH (no -IR) is cheaper ( around $480) so then it brings setup 2 down to $550 which then makes it more comparable to setup 1.. Haven't seen the two different models on BlackVue site.. ??
5) Seems the BlackVue model/s was released in 2014.. 3 years too old to get?

Please suggest..

The DR490L-2CH has just been released,. It has parking mode with built-in cut offs so no need for the PMP.

Street Guardian is also about to release the SG9663DC. It's 2CH but with no parking mode.

Not sure why you are looking at the IR models, unless you are an Uber driver. Its only good for recording the cabin.

Not sure why you are looking at the IR models, unless you are an Uber driver. Its only good for recording the cabin.

Didn't know that.. thanks so if go for DR650S-2CH that makes setup 2 = $550

The DR490L-2CH has just been released,. It has parking mode with built-in cut offs so no need for the PMP.

Didn't know that as well .. doesn't look discrete and doesn't have GPS.. hmm..

SG9663DC. It's 2CH but with no parking mode

If getting hardwired would love parking mode actually..

Didn't know that as well .. doesn't look discrete and doesn't have GPS.. hmm..

GPS is an optional unit.

If getting hardwired would love parking mode actually..

You can use a Battery prevention device like the Vico Power Plus to have some parking mode capabilities on a non-parking mode camera. It allows you to set a cut off voltage or a timer to shut down the camera. Plus it has an over temperature setting.

Its not pre-buffered motion recording like a Blackvue or Thinkware, but its better in some ways.

A rear cam is generally not needed to simply be able to prove your innocence in a crash, but many of us like the extra coverage. 2ch cams have a lower bit-rate per cam so images will suffer at speed. Set-up 1 will give better images but it's less convenient to use. Setup 2 has parking mode. Which do you want most, convenience or image quality? I'd also avoid SanDisk cards- some of them do OK with some cams but they are a known possible problem with dashcams and you've got other better choices available.

I've been using cheaper cams in the rear with good enough results; there's money which can be saved doing this to allow for a better front cam. I've also been avoiding 2ch cams as the current ones have quirks or known issues, and are generally too costly for me, but the almost-released SG9663DC is going to be my first one. You might want to consider it. In the end the choice is yours and I'm glad you've budgeted enough to get good cams- a wise decision ;)

Phil

I guess parking mode is important.. otherwise wont bother with hardwire setup..

Could wait for SG9663DC but if no parking mode then not really for me? unless i understand parking mode setup incorrectly..

DR490L-2CH doesn't look too discrete? in comparison to DR650S-2CH?

So still back to A119S x 2 or DR650S-2CH or DR490L-2CH or something else? ( do all of these have parking mode when hardwired? )

Guys

What all would I actually need if I want to hardwire either 1 or 2 A119S or DR490L-2CH.. Just trying to figure this out while I actually decide on the dashcam...

A119S does not have parking mode.

You would need two fuse taps (Constant 12v+ and ACC)

Thanks

I need to finally decide between 2 x A119S or DR650S-2CH - both coupled with Vico Power Plus

Don't see the front cam of DR490L-2CH as very discreet.. is it?

Any recommendations ?

Back