Front and rear dash cam wanted

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's a good front and rear dash cam to get? I have a front at moment, a roav, which is decent enough but also now want a rear one as well.

I'm happy to either buy a seperate rear or a front and rear as a pack, as I'd use the roav on daughters car.

I'd prefer small, not bothered on screens, WiFi not bothered as have it on roav and is so slow it's easier to remove SD card for viewing and transferring.

I'd probably hardwire in and wouldn't mind a parking function monitor as well. I'm in UK.

Thanks

Check out Mobius if it fits your needs.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Viafo A129 duo seems to get decent reviews without the high cost of some of the Korean models e.g. thinkware etc

Check out Mobius if it fits your needs.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
Any specific model?
Viafo A129 duo seems to get decent reviews without the high cost of some of the Korean models e.g. thinkware etc
That looks decent. £130 in Amazon, I like the "wedge" types as well as that's what roav is and means flusher to windscreen rather than something hanging...

Thanks

The A129 Duo is still being developed but is pretty far along, and if Viofo's past holds true it will be excellent in a couple months via firmware updates. But it's pretty good as it is right now, and at a good price. Street Guardian's SG9663DC is better, but about at the same development point, and again you can expect it to be near perfect soon. SG will have their dual-remote on the market in the near future under similar terms. If you just want to add a rear cam, the B1W is nearly perfect for that in most cars. Audio isn't so good but the vids are both day and night. The G-sensor is near perfect as is reliability. Very small sleek footprint too.

Phil

I don't use audio on my current roav so tbh is not something bothered about. Not really sure what you'd get from our apart from expletives after the cam has recorded a bump!?!

Nice to hear about the A129 duo then as it's looking good, and decent price.

I'll look at other one as well thanks. Although it's £130 more than the A129 duo

On a side note how easy are these to install for the rear? Is it a massive job to get the cable to the rear without damaging anything. Halfords do a duo and it's £50 for them to install

Has the parking mode been sorted now? Seen this in a review. Pretty pointless if it takes 5s to start to record something.

"If an event is detected by the camera’s G-sensor or by visual motion detection, the A129 will wake up and start to record. At the moment though, wake-up time is around 4 or 5 seconds, during which nothing will be recorded.

While this issue will hopefully be resolved in the future, for the time being you may want to consult our list of the best dash cams for parking mode if parking surveillance is important to you."

I think you've answered your own question about parking mode in most dashcams. Only prebuffering works well for that, and few cams have prebuffering. If you must have prebuffered parking mode get a Blackvue 750 (and a second mortgage to pay for it). Their 900 is still too buggy to recommend. Or IIRC a Goluck T-3. Even the better non-prebuffered cams take 1 1/2 to 2 seconds to boot up and begin recording the event, so to compensate you can use time-lapse if a cam has that, or record continuously which has it's own set of problems.

Can't comment on installation difficulty because every car is different. A quick fish up an A-pillar and across the headliner might be 10 minutes. Or impossible. Or something between. Ditto for running under the sill plates and up the C-pillar. If you're reasonably handy and have some common sense it's normally something you can do leisurely in an hour or less with just basic tools on hand. Don't pinch or tightly bend cables, don't pull hard on them, don't route over or in front of air-bags. And route as far away as possible from radio antennas and their cabling. You may get DAB interference anyway; it seems very sensitive to cams and their cabling in most cars. If you're not confident of your abilities, let Halfords handle it and check DAB and radio reception on weaker stations immediately before leaving so they can at least try to do something if there's a problem.

Phil

Thanks for that Phil.

Yes those Blackvue ones a lot more than this one. The A129 duo is looking a good bet...

Looking at the instruction manual for the A129 Duo it says about a timelapse mode, so maybe it has this?

It's confusing a bit about the motion sensor (see below), so would you have to manually have to enable this everytime you leave the car parked, then disable when your back in the car?

6c114cb5bbfa343d53c6a6d0a4a71106.png

Reactions: RLS
I can attest that the Goluk T3 has excellent parking mode. I had 3 of them before getting my current Blackvue DR590 2ch non wifi. For me the parking function is the most important. Eventually I will upgrade my DR590 to the 750S since it has a higher recording bit rate.
I think you've answered your own question about parking mode in most dashcams. Only prebuffering works well for that, and few cams have prebuffering. If you must have prebuffered parking mode get a Blackvue 750 (and a second mortgage to pay for it). Their 900 is still too buggy to recommend. Or IIRC a Goluck T-3. Even the better non-prebuffered cams take 1 1/2 to 2 seconds to boot up and begin recording the event, so to compensate you can use time-lapse if a cam has that, or record continuously which has it's own set of problems.

Can't comment on installation difficulty because every car is different. A quick fish up an A-pillar and across the headliner might be 10 minutes. Or impossible. Or something between. Ditto for running under the sill plates and up the C-pillar. If you're reasonably handy and have some common sense it's normally something you can do leisurely in an hour or less with just basic tools on hand. Don't pinch or tightly bend cables, don't pull hard on them, don't route over or in front of air-bags. And route as far away as possible from radio antennas and their cabling. You may get DAB interference anyway; it seems very sensitive to cams and their cabling in most cars. If you're not confident of your abilities, let Halfords handle it and check DAB and radio reception on weaker stations immediately before leaving so they can at least try to do something if there's a problem.

Phil

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Phil.

Yes those Blackvue ones a lot more than this one. The A129 duo is looking a good bet...

Looking at the instruction manual for the A129 Duo it says about a timelapse mode, so maybe it has this?

It's confusing a bit about the motion sensor (see below), so would you have to manually have to enable this everytime you leave the car parked, then disable when your back in the car?

A129duo and SG9663DC have fat rear wires FYI. Both have IMX291 Starvis for excellent night recording. I run the SG in two of my cars, for driving recording. I have the hardwire Kit, and it works well for timelapse.

I have installed multiple A129 duos in friends’ cars. It’s a good “bang for the buck” mid-range dashcam.

For parking mode, I run the iRoad X9 (replaces my F800 Pro since it always has muffled audio for bumpy/loud cars). I have the DR750S in two other cars for the pre-buffered motion detection. If you don’t care about WiFi (i also just pull memory card regularly), then it’s a solid choice. It has thinner rear wires haha... the fat ones are tough to tuck in two of my cars, so i has to take apart the interior to do it for the SG9663DC.

The iRoad X9 is good for hot climates, and I like it’s stealthy shape (similar to F800 Pro, but even better lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A129duo and SG9663DC have fat rear wires FYI. Both have IMX291 Starvis for excellent night recording. I run the SG in two of my cars, for driving recording. I have the hardwire Kit, and it works well for timelapse.

I have installed multiple A129 duos in friends’ cars. It’s a good “bang for the buck” mid-range dashcam.
So on the A129 duo how does parking mode work please?

Do you have to have to have a permanent live or is a switched live ok.

Also does it do timelapse for parking and/or motion and does this have to be manually selected all the time.

Does it use parking mode for front and rear camera?

Thanks

So on the A129 duo how does parking mode work please?

Do you have to have to have a permanent live or is a switched live ok.

Also does it do timelapse for parking and/or motion and does this have to be manually selected all the time.

Does it use parking mode for front and rear camera?

Thanks

If hardwiring for Parking Mode, yes a permanent live connection is required for both the 2 wire and 3 wire kits.

Could use a power bank but just like the 2 wire kit that doesn't feature ACC detection, camera has to rely on G-sensor and GPS as mode switching factors. Leads to gaps when switching from Parking Mode to normal recording. Recommend using the 3 wire kit if you intend to use Parking Mode.

More here - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/parking-mode-beta-firmware.36138/

Reactions: RLS
If hardwiring for Parking Mode, yes a permanent live connection is required for both the 2 wire and 3 wire kits.

Could use a power bank but just like the 2 wire kit that doesn't feature ACC detection, camera has to rely on G-sensor and GPS as mode switching factors. Leads to gaps when switching from Parking Mode to normal recording. Recommend using the 3 wire kit if you intend to use Parking Mode.

More here - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/parking-mode-beta-firmware.36138/

Ah thanks didn't know about that thread or that there is a 3 or 2 wore system at all.

I do want parking mode, my current Roav does it off a gsensor and using it from a switched power as uses its own capacitors to run.

How do you know if your buying a 2 or 3 wire system? I'll be buying from Amazon UK. For example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOFO-1080P-Camera-Logger-Support/dp/B07DHKLH4F

The 3 wire kit is yet to be released. It's an optional accessory.

The 3 wire kit is yet to be released. It's an optional accessory.

Ah ok. So what happens with that will it be a completely different wiring kit and/or head unit.

I couldn't fit the current kit and then get and add easily the 3 wire later?

Thanks

you could do that, you should be able to buy the 3 wire kit before the month is out

Great thanks. So what will the 3 wire bit be like? I mean what bit extra or something?

Phil
That must explain the video in the post below. It shows the mobius maxi Motion detection in a video that always has a recording of the big rigs or pedestrians only after they have moved away from the edge of the video frame.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ction-appears-to-be-useless.35619/post-425167

Back