Front Cam Darker at night than Rear Cam.

Barrakulyan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR900X Plus
Based off of YouTube videos, the front camera should be better at exposing at night that what I'm seeing. Its possible I'm parking in a challenging environment, so I'll test it again tonight in another area. But it still feels like something is wrong, maybe firmware related or I got a dud. I'll be posting this a few places and sending a message to where I purchased the camera to see what I hear back.

Attachments

• Day Combo.jpg
    Day Combo.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Front Day.jpg
    Front Day.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Rear Day.jpg
    Rear Day.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Night Combo.jpg
    Night Combo.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Front Night.jpg
    Front Night.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Rear Night.jpg
    Rear Night.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 7
Yes that happen now and then with different systems, but the reason are simple, your 2 cameras are not the same sensor and so one might be more sensitive than the other.

I dont think the different brands do anything to mitigate this difference, in your case the sensors are probably the same physical size, but as your front camera are 4K they have to cram in many more pixels on the same area, and the only way to do that is to make the pixels smaller, and so also less sensitive to light.

It is sort of the same you see some phone cameras do with their night photo mode, so in that case they " cheat" a little and bin up pixels from the sensor, so your 64 mpix sensor will suddenly only shoot 12 mpix night photos CUZ it bin 4 pixels into one pixel to that way make a virtual pixel that are 4 X more light sensitive.

Sadly we have not yet seen pixel binning in any dashcams, but in theory a 8 mpix sensor ( 4K ) like in your front camera, it could be binned 4 to 1 to get a much more light sensitive virtual 1080p camera,,,,,,,, which would be fine for parking guard.
But binning are not a option in the SOC that are used in dashcams these days.

8 megapixel / a little over that are what it take to make true 4K footage. Some phone cameras will do that too without binning pixels but then from your 64 megapixel or larger main sensor, but in that case only a part of the sensor are then actually used ( crop )

Last edited:
"...your 2 cameras are not the same sensor and so one might be more sensitive than the other."
- Yes this is true, however the 900xPlus via software is supposed to address this.

I don't expect magic but I'd like to see some of the results I was sold on via other YouTube videos "Basically Ads".
I'll give you some screen shots of what I mean.

Attachments

• BV_Ex01.jpg
    BV_Ex01.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 4
  • RCG_Ex01.jpg
    RCG_Ex01.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 4
  • VR_Ex01.jpg
    VR_Ex01.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 4
  • VR_Ex02.jpg
    VR_Ex02.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 4
  • VR_Ex03.jpg
    VR_Ex03.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 4
  • VR_Ex04.jpg
    VR_Ex04.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 3
  • YT_Ex01.jpg
    YT_Ex01.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 4
Okay.
Not familiar with the Blackvue cameras.

Ill tag in a guy that do know them maybe he can be of better help, over to you @Vortex Radar

What are you expecting, specifically? Brighter overall exposures at night? With the DR900X Plus, we don't really have much control over exposure options. It's all basically just automatic. It's possible that over time, Blackvue has adjusted their auto exposures across different firmware versions so that now nighttime exposures are darker to help better freeze frame license plates or something, for example, but I have no idea if there's been changes made in this way. I'm just thinking aloud.

For comparison, here's a screenshot from a nighttime parking mode clip I had the other day:

DR900X Plus night parking screenshot.jpg

What are you expecting, specifically? Brighter overall exposures at night?
- Yeah pretty much. I'm not looking for magic just better and similar to the demo's I've seen.

It's all basically just automatic.
- Yeah... If they're gonna go that route, their software needs to be damn good. It be one thing if I had a choice between Auto and Manual, but instead is mandatory.

Blackvue has adjusted their auto exposures across different firmware versions...
- If they did it would be nice if they would have said something somewhere. Its possible as you say but that would hurt parking mode so strange they would do that across the board.

...here's a screenshot from a nighttime parking mode clip I had the other day:
- That's pretty good considering the environment. That Hyundai's white hood is semi blown out but its still pretty well exposed overall. I mean I can see the clouds in the sky.... lmao

- I'm going to drive around tonight and get as much footage as I can. I don't expect it to be magic in every situation, but I do expect it to be a little better. Mostly because they ripped the controls out of my hand and said "Don't worry, we got dis bro!".
lol

I don't expect it to be magic in every situation, but I do expect it to be a little better. Mostly because they ripped the controls out of my hand and said "Don't worry, we got dis bro!".
lol
lol... yeah I remember having a conversation and asking why we're losing manual controls for things like exposure compensation and HDR on/off and they said that they really wanted to focus their engineer's efforts on optimizing one group of settings and really nailing it. Like you said though, if they're gonna take the controls out of our hands, it better be awesome. :)

Did more testing last night and I think I got a grasp on what its doing, I just don't know if its normal. I'm now thinking it is.
So it looks like Both cams have a drop off where they both can't / won't raise exposure for a given night scene.
The front cam drops off first and rather dramatically compared to the rear. As @kamkar pointed out the rear has the better night sensor so this makes sense.
Sadly, the rear cam being 1080p even with better night exposure is pretty rough at night.
But before buying I knew Dashcams suck at night. Some do better than others but the best ones still suck compared to daytime. This has just showed me that my environment is extra tricky due to being rural and little to no light at times.
Once I got to shopping centers (some!) both cams came back to life but the Front cam always lost exposure first.
Picture bombs incoming. I normally blur plates but in picture 4 I left it as a resolution test.
Just looked back at these and Picture 02 and 03 you can see the rear cam went orange/yellow while the front cam did not. This could be a downside of that different sensor. The lights were indeed yellowish lights but the light balance was still better on the front cam.

Attachments

• VLC_Snapshot_05_R.jpg
    VLC_Snapshot_05_R.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 0
  • VLC_Snapshot_05_F.jpg
    VLC_Snapshot_05_F.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
  • VLC_Snapshot_04.2_R.jpg
    VLC_Snapshot_04.2_R.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 1
  • VLC_Snapshot_04.2_F.jpg
    VLC_Snapshot_04.2_F.jpg