Front camer purple image / lost focus

cool_kuba

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I have randomly checked the recordings from my mini 0906 and after almost 2 years of operation it broke the image is half purple and out of focus :(
Last video before camera broke:
LastWorking.png

First video with camera broken:
cameraBroken.png

For some reason last 3 correct videos are very short and don't have text overlay in them and it looks like there is quite a lot of content missing between those and broken video.
Did anybody have similar issue?
Is there any warranty on those cameras? (bought on Aliexpress)
Is there any camera with compatible with mini 0906 wiring?

Looks like the IR filter has broken! Did it get very hot?

Is there any warranty on those cameras? (bought on Aliexpress)
Not after 2 years, you would need to have bought it within Europe for that.

Is there any camera with compatible with mini 0906 wiring?
The rear camera cable will not be compatible with anything else, the power cable I think is mini USB, that is quite common.

If you are looking for alternatives, read:

Although it is slightly out of date now, the Viofo A129 Plus would also be worth looking at, a dual camera like the 0906 but with twice the front resolution.

Wow thanks for quick reply!
I cleaned both IR filter and lens and I haven't seen any cracks but I definitely need to try recording without it. I will do that and let you know!

Would be nice to have some wiring compatibility guide because installing cables nicely takes quite a bit of time.

It would be the polarising filter that you cleaned, the IR filter is at the other end of the lens and you can't clean that. You could replace the lens with a bit of DIY and solve the problem, but obtaining another correct lens might be difficult and just replacing the IR filter may not solve the problem.

On the power cable it is normally recommended to use the one that came with the camera, or the correct hardwire kit, to avoid compatibility issues which can exist even if they use the same type of connector, so I'm not sure a wiring compatibility guide is a good idea. I understand why you are asking.

I just checked and again you are right removable filter didn't change anything, I don't see anything wrong with the other lens either. I will try to contact manufacturer maybe they have lens available, I will also ask about adapter for rear camera which could allow reusing mini 0906 wires (I also asked on this forum)
Thank you for your help Nigel! Here are pictures of the broken (?) lens for reference:
20201023_194919.jpg

Looks OK, it could be that the IR filter has fallen off, it should be glued to the back of the lens, if so then maybe it is repairable if you can get hold of suitable glue to stick it back on.

If you start recording and give it a shake, can you see the purple/normal coloured areas move?

Shaking didn't change anything. the line doesn't move. I will ask around for replacement lens because I doubt I will be able to glue the filter properly.

Back