Front/Rear 2 Dash Cam solution ?

RIMD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Looking one
I am new to this forum. I am debating to go for Dual Lens single dash cam or 2 separate dash cam for front/rear.

If we go with 2 separate dash cam for front/rear, how do I connect with single lighter connection socket.

Is there a DIY on this subject in DCT?

What are the additional items to look for apart from what I get from 2 dash cam units?

Thanks for your guidance.

I am new to this forum. I am debating to go for Dual Lens single dash cam or 2 separate dash cam for front/rear.

If we go with 2 separate dash cam for front/rear, how do I connect with single lighter connection socket.

Is there a DIY on this subject in DCT?

What are the additional items to look for apart from what I get from 2 dash cam units?

This would be the easiest solution.

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/prod...lid=CMSJspXvncsCFZGIaQodNk8G8A&ad=53736626959

Thanks for your reply/suggestion.

Is it possible to utilize the USB port of one camera to power up the 2nd one instead of direct connection to lighter socket?

Thanks for your reply/suggestion.

Is it possible to utilize the USB port of one camera to power up the 2nd one instead of direct connection to lighter socket?
Nothing that I've ever heard of anyone doing. You would have to have at least 2 USB ports on the camera for that to work - 1 input and 1 output.

I vote 2 separate cameras, same model if possible.
I have had situations when there was a problem with front camera and fastest way to fix this on the road is take identical camera from rear window and continue temporarily with single camera.

Welcome to the forum.
There are many considerations you have not commented about, so it is hard to answer. Which dash cam are you considering? Why are you reluctant to use a second power socket? Do you need to remove the cameras when you park the car? Is it okay to use a fuse tap to provide hidden extra power sockets? Does the power sockets in your car provide 12V all the time for Park mode, or only during driving use? Is that okay for your need?

You may be able to use a USB "Y" cable to split the power into two cords. You may need some female to male connections for this. This Y cable method could have lots of issues though. The camera power requirement is different among many of the dash cams so one answer does not fit most cams. Some are 12-14 volt direct to the camera and have no electronics in the power plug, so they could be spliced together or Y adapter powered without issue. Many use 5 volt input at the camera, so their power plug has 12V DC to 5 V DC conversion. These you would have to be careful as the circuitry may not have the capacity for two cams. I think most users would encourage you to use both original power cords and find a way to connect to two power sockets, or hard wire both to 12 volts if you have the option to do this.

By the way, I think two separate cams allows you to pick exactly the features you want for front and back. I do this for my families cars. There are a couple good dual lens cams available, only the better models work well at night. Be careful on picking something you like. Explore this forum before you buy. It is a great resource for user experience with the many models.

Thanks for your reply/questions. I did review A118C & g1w-c as single lens one. I posted another thread on Dual lens one, that point me to CF-100.

New to Dash Cam - Need insight for buying one ?

If you have alternate inexpensive good functional single lens to consider for 2 cam solutions, let me know. I am ok with more features/functional for FRONT and just capture clear image for REAR.

CF-100 looks promising, but I am concerned about rear footage (not clear) and unable to remove camera when I park. I need to look for alternate mounting options to make this happen. I am not able to find a good suction mount options for this.

I am thinking putting two lighter connection in dash area on family car looks messy. I like to keep the wiring in headliner/top area as much as possible.

I like to remove the cameras when I park the car to avoid camera theft. They may break windows to steel the camera and some additional issues to worry about.

Is it okay to use a fuse tap to provide hidden extra power sockets?

I will be glad to look into. What are the pros/cons of this option?

Does the power sockets in your car provide 12V all the time for Park mode, or only during driving use?

I am not sure. How do I find this out?

Is that okay for your need?

Look like it.

Are there any youtube/threads talks on this subject?

Last edited:
I like to remove the cameras when I park the car to avoid camera theft. They may break windows to steel the camera and some additional issues to worry about.

This is a bad idea. You will inevitably forget to mount the camera one day, & Sod's law dictates it's the day you need video evidence.

Some cameras are so small / discreet that there's no likelihood of thieves noticing them, so fit & forget, with no need to dismount. Two examples ...

image.jpeg

I will be glad to look into. What are the pros/cons of this option?
Pro: You can hide the wiring, as you no longer use the power port in the dash/consol. This brings the power from the fuse panel under your dash. There are lots of threads about this. You can choose either power that is always on, or power that is on only when car is running. Just pick correct fuse location for the tap.
Start in the "Batteries and Capacitors" section. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/camera-power-supply.10028/#post-138520
Or search using key word "fuse tap".
Con: It takes some wiring knowledge and time. May need some tools to strip and crimp connectors, etc. Maybe a test light or voltmeter tool.

Last edited:
I am not sure. How do I find this out?
Plug some device into your power socket. Something you can tell if it is on. Then turn off the car and wait a few minutes. Does your device shut down due to power loss? If it goes off, your socket depends on the ignition circuit to provide power. You would not have parking mode power.
You may have the same situation with power from the rearview mirror area. This could shut down when you remove the key from ignition. You have to try it to find out.

Which dash cam are you considering?

I answered your question.

I did review A118C & g1w-c as single lens one.

Are these Dash cams a right fit for Front/Rear 2 Dash Cam solution ?

I find some threads suggest to pick cheap rear (just to capture rear footage) and front with more functionality. What are the options for US residents?

What are the potential Front/Rear 2 Dash Cam solution picks?

Some cameras are so small / discreet that there's no likelihood of thieves noticing them, so fit & forget, with no need to dismount. Two examples ...

What are the models showed in your image (Some cameras are so small / discreet)? Are these available in USA?

Thanks for guidance.

Last edited:
What are the models showed in your image (Some cameras are so small / discreet)? Are these available in USA?

Under his user name and profile picture are some dash cams listet, so the small round one must be the SGZC12RC and the lower camera is the Mobius.

Back