Front unit does not respond to any button presses while recording

barneyevo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My issue is summed up in the title. “REC” and “MIC” LEDs are solid red. Screen is black (30s screen saver mode). The unit does not respond to any button presses. According to the manual, pressing the square screen button should toggle the screen view. Nothing happens. Even pressing the middle button to lock video files doesn’t make any noise or show anything on the screen.

Is this normal behaviour?

Gday M8, Welcome to the forum.

Nope, what you have there is for sure not normal.
I have no personal experience with this particular Viofo model, but the A229 system i currently run it use solid led lights for this and that.

I would try to power it without a memory card in it, see how it like that, see if it ask for a card to be inserted.
I would also try to unplug the rear camera at the front unit, some times a problem most often with the wire or plugs in rear cameras can make systems act weird.

My issue is summed up in the title. “REC” and “MIC” LEDs are solid red. Screen is black (30s screen saver mode). The unit does not respond to any button presses. According to the manual, pressing the square screen button should toggle the screen view. Nothing happens. Even pressing the middle button to lock video files doesn’t make any noise or show anything on the screen.

Is this normal behaviour?
It is not normal. According to your description, it is frozen since there is no response when you press the buttons. Please disconnect the rear camera to confirm if it can work well. Please also deep format the card to FAT32 using this program. (do not tick quick format)
If not help, you may need to update the firmware: https://viofo.com/content/37-viofo-a129-plus-duo-dash-cam-support/

It is not normal. According to your description, it is frozen since there is no response when you press the buttons. Please disconnect the rear camera to confirm if it can work well. Please also deep format the card to FAT32 using this program. (do not tick quick format)
So I've tried updating the firmware, and the camera will run OK for 5-6 days then randomly the issue occurs again. Solid "REC" and "MIC" LEDs, screen is blank and the unit does not respond to button presses. I have tried to update the rear camera's firmware but it will not work.

I downloaded the rear camera firmware from here, extracted the files and uploaded the 2 files onto the root folder of my SD card. Put the SD card into the camera and the camera immediately boots with no sign up the firmware being updated. The firmware version reported on my rear camera is V1 from 2021 which means the camera does not update.

extracted the files
What are you extracting? You don't have to extract anything.
Put the original downloaded file to the root directory.
Also, if the file name has more characters than FWA129S.bin, like FWA129S.bin(1), erase them. There must be nothing after "bin".

So I've tried updating the firmware, and the camera will run OK for 5-6 days then randomly the issue occurs again. Solid "REC" and "MIC" LEDs, screen is blank and the unit does not respond to button presses. I have tried to update the rear camera's firmware but it will not work.

I downloaded the rear camera firmware from here, extracted the files and uploaded the 2 files onto the root folder of my SD card. Put the SD card into the camera and the camera immediately boots with no sign up the firmware being updated. The firmware version reported on my rear camera is V1 from 2021 which means the camera does not update.
Please open a ticket here to get further help:

Back